• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Palette Editting Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2007
    This is my first tut, so go easy ;D
    I'll add pics when I get to 15 posts.

Intro
    I made this tut because I don't feel theres enough support for palette editing out there, and the methods people have been using are extremely slow. So, enjoy.
    This tutorial is written for people who have some understanding of HEX and RBG Values.

Step One
    Your Data
    First, have you're sprite and palette ready, I'll be using a custom Open unLZ-GBA and browse through sprites 6xx to 13xx until you find the pokemon you want to replace and MAKE SURE IT HAS LARGER OR EQUAL DIMENSIONS TO THE POKEMON YOU'RE GOING TO ADD!, I can't stress this enough.

Okay, now in unLZ-GBA next to Open File button, will be two offsets, image and palette, copy down the palette offset in Notepad, and keep Notepad open, it'll help alot.

Open up your HEX Editor(I'll be using Hex Workshop) and load the ROM you'll be editing, press CTRL+G (May differ in different HEX Edtiors) and enter the offset you copied from unLZ-GBA and press enter.

Open up Visual Boy Advance and use Advance Map's wild pokemon editor or Gameshark to get into a wild battle with the pokemon you want to replace. Go to Tools > OAM Viewer, scroll through until you see the pokemon you're replacing, and jot down the RGB values of one of the colors in Notepad (If you closed this, kindly slap yourself upside the head). Now go to Tools > Palette Viewer and find the color with the same RBG values, copy down it's HEX Value into Notepad, and the HEX Values of the next few along the line that it's on(a few to the left and a few to the right.).

Step Two
    Finding and Changing the colors!
    In Hex Workshop compare the HEX Values you got from VBA with the hex values left and right of where your Offset took you.
    Find the first and last one and highlight from start to finish (Adding to Notepad would help.) Now, find a pallette in unLZ-GBA that suits your Pokemon, get the offset and do all the stuff you did in VBA again, but for this Pokemon, open another window in Hex Workshop and go the new Pokemon's palette offset using the HEX Values you should've jotted down in Notepad find the start and finsih of the palette highlight & copy them, and past them over your new pokemon's palette data. Save your ROM.

Step Three
    New sprite
    Using unLZ-GBA go to the pokemon you're replacing's sprite again, and save it onto your desktop, open it in Paint or whatever you use and and paste your new pokemon onto it, it'll only use colors from the replacable pokemon's palette. Recolor it with the replacable's palette, save it, and load it into unLZ-GBA, and write to ROM. Then find it in the wild and see if it works! ;D

Any questions, just ask.

shadowboy166

Gues who's internet is working
    Years
  • You should add screens ion this tutorial because for some people (particularly me) can find it confusing, or they only follow the pictures lol.
    I might try see if this works with the title of charizard in firered thanks!

djloi

Noob Hacker
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2017
    i using APE..but somehow i dunno how to use it..do u have a guide for it?

BOH

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2013
    after go to my palette's offset, i didn't find the hex of the color saw in VBA..why?

Years
  • Is the pallete of the pokemon's backsprite different than the one in the game? Do I have to change the previous pallete?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back