• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why does everyone want shinies so much?

Voltagenic

got djent?
Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2011
    I mean, all they are are pokemon with weird colours.

Nothing special in my eyes.

Why does everyone want them?

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    it's just sorta bragging rights. they are rare, and therefore desirable

Exactly.

If I had shiney, I'd sure as heck brag. xDD

But other then being rare, I don't think they're that special..

I don't even like some of the colors picked for the shiney versions..
    Actually I like the Pokemon's regular colors the best.

Except for maybe Shiney Mew... its blue! x3

Voltagenic

got djent?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2011
    I have realized the part about bragging rights.

I know if I get a shiny female Snorunt from my breeding, I would sure as hell brag too.

Yeah, I guess shinies are special.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I don't really see the appeal. Sure, they're kinda cool, but that's really it. I don't even like the shiny designs of most Pokémon and the ones I do like are usually almost identical to the non-shiny versions. XD;

Of course, maybe if I had a shiny Pokémon I actually liked, it might change something. The only one I've ever found (apart from that Gyarados, lol) was a shiny Dusclops. :| I don't even like Dusclops in the least.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2012
    they are more rare
    than others
    and some of the colors are sometimes very unique

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • its just for bragging rights, they will be like cool I have a shiny, but then I;m like cool I have a Pokemon that can kick your butt. But they are rare alot of pepole like rare things

:t354:tatsujin gosuto

Nattydee

Meowth's Fangirl
    Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2007
    I just want something to show off, really. I mean, who wouldn't brag? The only shiny I've got though is a Beautifly..looks pretty cute though.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I like 'em, 'cause yeah, the bragging rights...and also, if I don't like the Pokemon's original color, I could always go around with the shiny!

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
  • I only like shinies if they have a prettier color scheme...like a golden Shinx. That's pretty awesome X3 Little color alterations...nah. Besides the cool effect when the come out and the little star by their picture, I don't get the point in collecting shinies either. Unless their colors are really cool.

ToraSushii

I see...food!
    Years
  • They want shines because you can trade almost ANYTHING for them. :)
    Except useless ones. I like some of the colors, but I don't like some. Such as Kyogre. It's lavender, an ugly shade. (it's my opinion.)

Years
  • shiny kyogre looks cooler than a normol one but a shiny mantina? it looks the same
    and yes you could get a deoxys,ho-oh,lugia,mew for a shiny but no one wants a shiny bidoof

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
  • I only like shinies if they have a prettier color scheme...like a golden Shinx. That's pretty awesome X3 Little color alterations...nah. Besides the cool effect when the come out and the little star by their picture, I don't get the point in collecting shinies either. Unless their colors are really cool.

I agree with you there. Shinies are IMO, only cool because of some of their colour schemes. There are a couple of Pokemon in which I prefer the shiny version over the normal just because of its appearance and its colour...

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
  • People only want shiny because it IS rare, more rare than a legendary.....I think
    People who only played pokemon for the first time will choose pokemon who had good apperance
    I think that was It.....Because it has a cool good apperance

Storm-DC

Dance Instructor
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2019
    why do people want diamonds and other juwels? same question.. they are rare and special

Drifblim

Banned
    Years
  • Think of it this way. Imagine you're walking along that diamond-mining park in Arkansas and you happen to find a ruby or other gemstone. Now, gemstones aren't too common in the area, so you'd want to keep it for yourself and display it wherever you can. Soon, others will flock in and look for their own rubies. The same concept applies for shinies.

Nicku

//[N]ICKU::
    Years
  • They are rare and Pokemon like Charizard Umbreon is cool in Shiny x3
    But i don't really care, if i get a Shiny i am Happy if not... I am still happy =3

- Nicku

Jim

Dinner
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 25, 2011
    Bragging rights and what Drifblim said, that's all they're for, as most of them look stupid. I mean, look at a shiny Butterfree for Petes sake!

Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2007
    The first time I encountered a Shiny I thought there was something wrong with my game XD Really it was hillarious.
    Well I don't play pokemon to collect Shinies. :knockedou but I will put everything on everything to catch em if I do though.

Just like those before me said it, it's for the braggin'. :p

Back