• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A question about Pokémon contests

Days
    • Seen Jan 10, 2024
    Im very new to Rom hack, and am planning on make my hack on Fire red, since it's the one most ppl suggest, by how much free space it has.
    So i was wondering, is that an easy way, to add Ruby's/Sapphire Pokémon contest to Pokémon fire red? I think they're rlly fun and would love seeing em in Fire red

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • Im very new to Rom hack, and am planning on make my hack on Fire red, since it's the one most ppl suggest, by how much free space it has.
    So i was wondering, is that an easy way, to add Ruby's/Sapphire Pokémon contest to Pokémon fire red? I think they're rlly fun and would love seeing em in Fire red
    When it comes to the decomps, FireRed is not the base most people suggest to use; it's Emerald, as in Pokeemerald.
    Pokeemerald is better documented than Pokefirered and is the decompilation project that the majority of the decomp users utilize, as a result of that it's the project that has the biger amount of community-made features to implement in custom projects.

I have a strong feeling you're performing binary hacking, in which case you should ask a staff member to move this thread to the Binary Hacking area.

Days
    • Seen Jan 10, 2024
    When it comes to the decomps, FireRed is not the base most people suggest to use; it's Emerald, as in Pokeemerald.
    Pokeemerald is better documented than Pokefirered and is the decompilation project that the majority of the decomp users utilize, as a result of that it's the project that has the biger amount of community-made features to implement in custom projects.

I have a strong feeling you're performing binary hacking, in which case you should ask a staff member to move this thread to the Binary Hacking area.
    Oh thanks for the tips! I was planning on doing a mix of binary and decomp hacking, since for fire red, i've seen great videos abt binary hacking, using tools and all
    While for more indepth stuff like new abilities, i would use the decomp
    But thank you so much for the tips!

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • Oh thanks for the tips! I was planning on doing a mix of binary and decomp hacking, since for fire red, i've seen great videos abt binary hacking, using tools and all
    The decomps are a matching copy of the source code that composes the game.
    When you build a ROM based on it, the resultant ROM will only contain whatever changes you made to said source code directly.
    When the compiler used to build a ROM actually builds a ROM, it's prone to shifting things around as it sees convenient in order to produce a valid GBA compatible ROM file.
    You can't really perform binary hacking changes on a ROM and then use that ROM on the decomps, because the decomps don't even use a base ROM at all.
    Binaery and decomps are 2 different ways to go about ROM Hacking, and they're not really mutually compatible, outside of using the decomps as a source of information to read code and find the address of said code in the ROM, thanks to the decomps' .map files.

You could theoretically perform X or Y changes using the decomps, and then perhaps modify the config files that the different binary hacking tools use as a reference point to read whatever address or addresses in the ROM as to make them compatible with your own decomps-based ROM, but that's way too tedious and will provide no gain whatsoever.
    You really should just choose one or the other and then stick with it.

Days
    • Seen Jan 10, 2024
    Oh that's such a bummer... I thought it was going to be easier sksksks cuz the tools, rlly makes some stuff faster, while the decomp could make adding signature new abilities much easier

Thank you very much for the support! Am still gonna do some research, see which one gonna fit my fakemon hack better
    Thanks! Rlly appreciated it

Back