• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Do you know Freytag's pyramid?

Bay

Years
    Hello, everyone! So for today we'll be discussing Freytag's pyramid, which is basically a concept used for plot structure.

Do you know Freytag's pyramid?

Have you been taught this in school? If so, do you refer to it often? Even if you don't use all of the points, perhaps you used some of those points? Any other method(s) you use to keep track of your story's plot structure?

Me personally I don't refer to the pyramid, but I do think a bit of the beginning and end while winging the middle with my longer, plotty stories. Pretty much I'm flexible when it comes to my plot structure.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Hmm, yeah, I know of this pyramid. I definitely do not refer to it, though. When it comes to plot, it's hard to determine when exactly the climax is since I'm writing something really long this time. I do make use of exposition, though, and eventually try to work towards a climax. I definitely have not heard of that last point on this pyramid, however. But, for my current thing I'm working on, I know I can write side stories to tie up any loose ends I may have lingering in the end.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
    I knew there was some sort of "rising progression of stakes", but never knew it was a "pyramid" nor that it had a name (tho ofc it would have a name). Honestly, I don't follow it nor considering any relevant for the way I structure my plots because "real life" does *not* follow this model (go ahead and ask anyone in college, for example), and thus I feel it unduly constraints the way I make my characters feel more alive and the way I structure my stories.

This is also more relevant because currently I'm doing oneshot pieces that are part of larger worldbuilding, so I only mostly get to expose one "star" of the many the pyramid has across the characters' life stories. If I had to write the plot and the character stories so that they had to cover all the stars, I'd not live enough to get it done.

Years
    Similarly to Venia, I'm familiar with it conceptually and I've even seen this diagram, or at least some very similar to it. But I've never known this idea to have an official name or anything. I don't really refer to it though. When I do use it, I know it well enough that I don't really need to go back and look at a diagram. I also feel like that while it's a way to write a story with a good flow to it, it's not the only way. You can also have the tension ebb and flow throughout the story or have it increase rapidly and end abruptly. It depends on the type of story you are telling.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I remember learning a similar structure in school for drama pieces. Didn't know it had that name.

I have to say: the "three events" part seems very arbitrary.

Back