• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serious Fate

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Do you believe in fate? What about "destiny"?

In relation to that, do you think our lives are predetermined the moment we are born?

For the first question, yes, I believe in fate in some ways. Like faithful encounters. That meeting or stumbling upon certain people or franchise was indeed, fate.

As for whether I believe our lives are predetermined from the moment we're born: in some ways, I don't think so, but, in ways, I do. I don't think everything is predetermined the moment we're born. But, only in the circumstance of who we were born to, like who are (biological parents are). That sort of stuff, in life, I do think is predetermined. I don't think, however, the people we meet in our lives is predetermined, however. The nature of life is far too unpredictable for such to be the case.

So, I honestly do not believe that our lives are predetermined the moment we are born, that there's this "prophecy" that plays out throughout our lives. The only things I honestly think are predetermined are specific circumstances: who we're born to, where we end up going to school for the first few years of our lives, and how we're brought up and raised by our parents. In my opinion, almost nothing is certain in life.

As for destiny, definitely do not believe really believe that all too much. I don't believe that I'm destined to be this or that. Ie: destined to be a writer, that's just... not something I think.

Years
    In some ways, our lives are predetermined, but I don't believe it's fate.
    Children born in poverty have less opportunities than those who are middle class. Hungry and tired children do less well in school, someone without the money to afford it can't go to college and some have to get dead end jobs to support their family in high school, affecting their education. Poverty is cyclical and very rarely can people get out. It costs a lot to be poor.

Rich kids have the opportunity to get the best education, the best jobs, to continue their wealth.

Also, disabled kids have way less opportunities, especially the developmentally disabled.

Years
    I don't believe in things like fate, destiny or some predetermined purpose for our existence. I believe in statistics and circumstances. Much like what Durandal said, nothing is predetermined in the literal sense, but the circumstances we are born into can drastically alter the odds of certain outcomes occurring.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    I'm a believer in the power of completely random events happening by accident (or by a chain of events you had little or no say on). Many times, things happen not because of a divine choice, but rather because of dumb luck, pure RNG or because some people you don't know made some decisions that happened to interact with you at some point.

I also think every person has the power to make decisions and choices of their own that determine their future to some degree.

Back