• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favourite characters

pkmin3033

Following on from the favourite games thread, list your 5-10 favourite video game characters! Be as detailed or not as you would like~

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
    Years
    Gosh, just picking characters that I think I like more than others (for brevity) is a lot harder than I thought! In no particular order:

• Cynthia (Pokemon Diamond/etc.) - Do I even gotta explain this one? She's just so cool and badass and cool. Honourable mention to Steven Stone as well.
    • Ike (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance) - While I'm a swole Ike from Radiant Dawn stan, I have to admit his Path of Radiance incarnation is just a Fire Emblem classic.
    • Julia (Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War) - She's like Deirdre except she's playable for more than one chapter(ish) in the game and has access to the best tome in the entire series! Albeit, only right towards the end to smack the final boss around the head with it, but it felt like such an epic moment that she's one of my fave FE characters of all time.
    • Edelgard von Hresvelg (Fire Emblem: Three Houses) - Another sword fig- Uh I mean, Fire Emblem character. That tends to happen with like sixteen games in the series. The Crests are to blame.
    • Balthier and Fran (Final Fantasy XII) - Can't have one without the other! Philanderer Balthier and cool-headed Fran are a classic dynamic duo, and the game just simply wouldn't be the same without them.
    • Terra Branford (Final Fantasy VI) - Not that I think she's a bad character by any stretch, but honestly I'm not even sure why I like her so much. Might have something to do with confusing her fanart for Tiki which got me into the game in the first place. 😳
    • Merlin (Fate/Grand Order) - Honourable mention to the bumbling idiot that cracked the game open.

I really tried to keep this list as brief as I could! How about your fave characters?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    i really love goro akechi from persona 5. they made him even better in royal. man idk i just adore him. he's not a good person, but he was manipulated by the adults around him and did what he had to survive in a world that was against him the moment he was born, hell before he was even born. i don't claim to be an expert in japanese culture, but i think a lot of what he has dealt with goes over the western audience's head. if you don't like him, that's fine and fair, but i think it should be acknowledged what it's like being a bastard child of a single mother and then an orphan in the foster system there. it's a lot more stigmatized. that all said, i don't relate to that, but i do relate to trying my best to be liked, being truly lonely and pushing people away, things like that. idk man he's just a great character...my absolute favorite. but i'm not gonna take up your entire day by talking about my love for goro akechi lol.

next would be linhardt von hevring from fire emblem: three houses. he's a lil asshole...i love him so much. and you can marry him as guyleth or girleth. we love a canon bisexual... i'm just really happy there's someone like me in a video game. representation really matters. also i think his post-ts design is gorgeous lol i was going to marry edelgard at first, then ferdinand, but i saw lin's post-ts look and i was like oh. oh. no. we have to marry this one. he's just great...he's rude and blunt, but he's also very caring and funny and i think that people gloss that over about him bc they just see a little lazy green bitch. which yeah he is, but he's shown in his supports to want to put in the work for someone he cares for. he follows his own interests and doesn't let what he was born into dictate how he should live his life. he simply wants to live and do what he enjoys. that's a great philosophy.

might come back and edit lol time to go get food...but like. yuri leclerc too. bc also canon bisexual and very beautiful and i love a snarky bad bitch with killer make up. i have better reasons i'm just trying to hurry and go eat bye lol

Years
    It's pretty hard to separate this out tbh.

Joel & Ellie from the Last of Us (I have not played/seen the sequel yet though) definitely rank up there. They're such complex and morally interesting people and have really interesting character development.

Vivi, Eiko and Steiner in FFIX are all really compelling characters with interesting personal struggles and growth. Vivi especially is an extremely deep character and definitely my favourite from that game. Maybe my favourite in the franchise. I also really like Yuna, Auron, Wakka and Riku from X and Locke, Relm, Terra and Cyan from VI.

Basically the entire cast of Detroit: Become Human are very compelling.

I know it's a meme but Sans from Undertale is also an amazingly written character. I'll try to limit my list to no more than 2 from a single game and see what we get. Order is very rough.

1. Vivi (FFIX)
    2. Joel & Ellie (tLoU) - I know it's cheating but they have to be a pair.
    3. Riku (FFX)
    4. Cyan (FFVI)
    5. Hank Anderson (Detroit)
    6. Connor (Detroit)
    7. Relm (FFVI)
    8. Sans (Undertale)
    9. Auron (FFX)
    10. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I might go with max two pro franchise for this one. Otherwise I would probably not be done for a while. Seems I've played too many games to come up with a true top then.

Golden Sun: Sheba (TLA), Sveta (DD)
    Sheba went from most disliked to most liked a couple years ago. She is one of the few characters who join for their own reasons and not just to save the world (which seems to be the only reason for most characters).
    Sveta is kinda similar, except she also happens to be one of the few characters in her game that's not a bland carbon copy of characters from older games. Also her story arc is pretty good, although also very sad

Final Fantasy: Celes (FF6)
    She's definitely one of the characters that are more involved in the game. She also has a couple scenes help flesh out her character. Granted FF6 has a lot of characters I like, so there are a lot of other contenders.

Fire Emblem: Seliph (FE:GotH), Nephenee (PoR)
    Seliph seems to me to be somewhat of an underdog of the franchise. He gets easily overshadowed by other lords, especially his father. Doesn't help that the game he stars in happens to still be Japan exclusive.
    For Nephenee it was between her and Ike. I like both, but didn't want to go for the obvious pick.

Xenoblade: Dunban (XB1), Morag (XB2)
    A franchise with way to many characters to choose from. Dunban is easily my favorite of the first game. With Morag it was somewhat a fight between her and Zeke.

Radiant Historia: Stocke
    He's pretty chill considering what he has to go through in all this time traveling business.

Tales of: Eizen
    Eizen is someone who does what he wants and knows how to get it. He's a walking encyclopedia that can also punch real hard. At the same time he is all too concious about his curse and the last thing he wants is someone getting hurt by it, especially his family.

Disgaea: Valvatorez
    This was pretty much a coin toss between him and Adell. At the same time Valvatorez is a very backwards politician: he always keeps his promises no matter what it takes. He even changed his diet from blood to sardines because of it.

User Anon 1848

1. Detlaff from Witcher 3: Blood & Wine (Not going to count Geralt or other Witcher characters who appeared in the novels before the games)

2. Samus from Metroid

3. James Sunderland from Silent Hill 2

4. Wes from Pokemon Colosseum

5. Ezio from Assassin's Creed

6. Big Boss from Metal Gear Solid (If we ignore everything after Peace Walker)

7. Wes from Pokemon Colosseum

8. Kazuya from Tekken

9. Hwoarang from Tekken

10. Bulbasaur : P

Can't be bothered going into my reasons for listing each character individually but it's safe to say I either resonated with them, found their stories interesting or just admired them for their coolness/cuteness lol.

Years
    1. Detlaff from Witcher 3: Blood & Wine (Not going to count Geralt or other Witcher characters who appeared in the novels before the games)

2. Samus from Metroid

3. James Sunderland from Silent Hill 2

4. Wes from Pokemon Colosseum

5. Ezio from Assassin's Creed

6. Big Boss from Metal Gear Solid (If we ignore everything after Peace Walker)

7. Wes from Pokemon Colosseum

8. Kazuya from Tekken

9. Hwoarang from Tekken

10. Bulbasaur : P

Can't be bothered going into my reasons for listing each character individually but it's safe to say I either resonated with them, found their stories interesting or just admired them for their coolness/cuteness lol.

You said Wes twice xD

User Anon 1848

Haha whoops. I was reordering my list as more characters came to mind and I guess I didn't proofread my post. Let's just swap out one of the Wes's for Niko Bellic then. : P

Back