• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

From zero to whiplash

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Is there any piece of media you've been consuming lately that just did a hard turn from zero to awful / bigotted in no time flat?

I was reading this romance webnovel that had some problems, but it was nothing out of the norm for the romance genre and was fairly enjoyable until the author decided to say that abuse causes autism out of nowhere. And it was used as an accusation against a single mother who needed a babysitter so she could work and support herself and her child.

Needless to say I noped out of the novel pretty quick, but it was very much unexpected.

Years
  • So, so, many!

I will start with The Big Bang Theory.

It started out as geek humour, in other words humour for geeks. After it became popular, it went from laughing with geeks to making fun of them. It still had good bits, but the overall tone changed, and it became laughing at geeks rather than with them.

Years
  • Honestly I think Lost was the biggest culprit for me.

The show genuinely, for its time, had like one of the most amazing plotlines and cast to date, it was such an amazing piece of television. And then the time-travel or whatever it was business just got out of hand so that when we get towards what should've been an amazing finale, actually it just got so lost in the haphazard build-up that it just felt like some rushed ending to try and tie it all together.

I also agree a little with BBT - I do enjoy that things do progress for what seems like a bunch of "hopeless" nerds per se, however it goes from you relating with them for being similar and being able to understand their issues etc. to suddenly feeling like those same people are now joining in with everyone else, now that they've found a way out of said lifestyle.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I was disappointed in how they rewrote the Timeless ending, substituted the planned romance and plot ideas with plot holes dumber than their usual forgivable ones. It felt incredibly unsatisfying.

Years
  • No bigger culprit than the Simpsons in my mind. It was a really hard drop off between the Oakley/Weinstein era to the Scully era and an even bigger one between the Scully and Jean eras. I disagree with anyone who says its "gotten better."

Back