• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Games that have aged poorly

pkmin3033

It is inevitable that as quality of life features get implemented into video games, and hardware improves framerates (yeah, I went there), loading times, and running speeds, that some older titles do not age gracefully. This can often be the case with early 3D titles, where clunky controls and camera angles can make playing them a chore, although it can also apply to 2D titles, which have gameplay mechanics that can only be described as painful. There is a fine line between "classic" and "outdated" and it doesn't take much to cross that line.

So in your opinion, what games have aged poorly? Is this due to time's rigours, or was it simply not as good as you remember it being when you were a kid? Would you like to see the game remade and brought up to a modern standard?

Years
  • EarthBound Zero... I mean EarthBound begginings. Great story, but definitely needs an update, and a grind fest worse than 2006 RuneScape.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Tales of Symphonia comes to mind, at least the Gamecube version. Compared to the other Tales games, it hasn't aged well graphically, multiplayer is laughable (the camera is fixed on Player 1), and I'm not the biggest fan of the combat being on a 2D plane. I know there is a Chronicles version but I'd much have play other Tales of games before I replay it.

Couples-Consoling

Husband and Wife Nuzlocke Let's Players!
    Years
  • Final Fantasy 7. Tried it, but... man, something about it just does NOT click anymore, in my opinion. Glad it's getting a remake.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Final Fantasy 7. Tried it, but... man, something about it just does NOT click anymore, in my opinion. Glad it's getting a remake.

I finished it for the first time over the summer, and yeah this is true.

I find that the 16 bit games are way more easy to get into than the early 3D era.

Years
  • First that come to mind are Pokémon Red and Blue. I tried to play them few times in a last few years and I just can't get over the pacing and glitched mechanics of the game.

First Assassin's Creed also didn't aged well compared to next installments of the series, but it's still something I'll play once in few years and enjoy it. It gets a little bit repetitive over time and Desmond parts are chore to get through.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • Its still a great game, but for me it has to be The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Once considered to have realistic towns and groundbreaking graphics, the game is now basically a meme.

Couples-Consoling

Husband and Wife Nuzlocke Let's Players!
    Years
  • First that come to mind are Pokémon Red and Blue. I tried to play them few times in a last few years and I just can't get over the pacing and glitched mechanics of the game.

Ya know, I hear this a lot. Maybe my nostalgia goggles are just THOROUGHLY on, but they're probably my most replayed video games. I still REALLY love them, but I do see the... issues. Like all the goddamn bag management.

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2023
    LEGO Island - it's a game from my childhood and it has aged horrendously. The gameplay is very rudimentary, controls aren't the best, audio is quite muffled and the brickster event is laughable once you know what to do. Graphics still retained some of that polygon charm. However, when it came out in 1997, it was quite revolutionary - non-linear where you can chill and do whatever on a L E G O island? You bet it sold well and grabbed several awards.

And it's not about not being a kid anymore, there are so many better games for that demographic nowadays.

Years
  • Ya know, I hear this a lot. Maybe my nostalgia goggles are just THOROUGHLY on, but they're probably my most replayed video games. I still REALLY love them, but I do see the... issues. Like all the goddamn bag management.
    I think I don't have that strong nostalgia for Red and Blue, but I do for Yellow. That's the only Gen I game that I can play through these days.

Lumina

Lucid Melody
    Years
  • Any Monster Hunter game that isn't World. The amount of gameplay improvements and quality of life changes has retroactively ruined all previous games for me.

Years
  • The ps1 versions of Spyro and Crash Bandicoot now that there are amazing remakes of them on current gen.
    To be honest I had big issue with Crash Bandicoot remake, because they changed Crash's movement (like the way he reacts to jump button being pressed) a little bit and it got annoying for me that Crash jumped differently than in the original trilogy. It got to the point where I just tossed the remake and replayed the original trilogy. The changes in Spyro's movement weren't that annoying, but still made no sense. For example in originals, the speed boost set your speed on certain level and kept that level while the boost was active. In the remakes, this boost is slowly increasing the speed, so level's like Tree Tops or Gnasty Gnorc bossfight is a lot more difficult now.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • The ps1 versions of Spyro and Crash Bandicoot now that there are amazing remakes of them on current gen.
    I agree that Crash 1 and Spyro 1 remasters are better than the originals because of quality of life changes (especially Crash 1) and graphical updates but as someone who loved the original Spyro trilogy I can't help but think the original 2 and 3 are much better than their remasters. I hated the drop being added because it really messed up with hover, I didn't care for the roll, and the mentioned slowly increasing speed was frustrating. Not to mention the remaster for 3 was rushed so it is extremely buggy; the skateboard sections were a nightmare and there were times I had to lose a life because a gem didn't spawn.

Years
  • Disney's Dinosaur for the PS1.
    I got it for free from someone a few months ago.

Horrendous game, and quite boring too.
    Awful graphics compared to other PS1 games.

Back