• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Going in blind

pkmin3033

How much information do you like to have about a video game before you purchase it? Are you the kind of person who wants to know everything no matter how trivial or spoilery, or is just knowing that the game looks good from the trailers enough for you? Have you ever gone in completely blind on a video game before without know anything beyond the name? If so, how did that work out?

Years
  • I like to know the general premise, what kind of gameplay it has and what it looks like. I prefer not to know plot details beyond that base premise. That being said, I'd never go into anything totally blind. That's a good way to spend money on something you end up disliking. Seems like a waste.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • Yep, knowing the general premise is enough, though I admit I've gone into some games without knowing what to expect at all. That allowed me to fill my blank slate with my own experiences which made these games much more memorable for me than they would had I read their reviews. For example, enjoying a part of a game that most of the fandom didn't and vice versa. Though there's a risk of wasting money, the reward of going blind in story driven games if fun as well.

But in general I'd suggest a buyer to at least know what sort of gameplay mechanics will be in play, and what the story (if any) is about. Sometimes one might hunger for a specific genre of games, so check out the best games available. Sometimes you might want to go with the less popular ones, too. Reviews come in really handy at times like these.

pkmin3033

Confession time: I actually go in blind to almost everything these days.

It's very rare for me to watch trailers, or read news updates beyond initial announcements. Once I've decided I want something, I put the blinders on completely and I won't even look at anything relating to it. Not because I'm especially spoiler averse, but because it generates very high expectations and I'm an impatient person: the more I'm looking forward to something, the more it has to live up to, and the more irritated I generally get with it. The best way to avoid this is to just go in with no expectations beyond a general feeling that I will get some enjoyment from it, and the only way to do that is to completely avoid everything related to it.

I'm actually almost always right in my initial assessment. Maybe that's because I buy the same kinds of games from the same developers so there is an inbuilt expectation of a degree of quality within that, but it's not often a game lets me down so badly I feel like I've completely wasted my time and my money, and those times I randomly decide to buy something I am often surprised by how much enjoyment I will get from it. The only real downside to this is that it can be some time before I buy something I end up really enjoying - Langrisser I & II is a great example of this, as I bought it on a whim months after release and the first game (not played the second yet) turned out to be one of the best things I've played this year!

Years
    • Seen today
    Going in blind without any spoilers almost gives me most of the enjoyment. I love knowing nothing about what's ahead.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i love to go in blind, or at least not knowing much. i got into fe3h bc i saw it all over my tl so like i knew some of the characters, but not very well. ended up checking out the game from work at the time and later buying. i bring this game up specifically bc my best friend was really into fe3h, but didn't have a way to play the game. they just watched supports and scenes and such on youtube. a few months ago, they got the game and they still haven't finished one route bc they feel like they have no reason to play. they're very plot driven with games and knowing everything already kind of ruined it for them. i wouldn't want this to happen to me so lol the less i know, the better tbh.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • ia few months ago, they got the game and they still haven't finished one route bc they feel like they have no reason to play. they're very plot driven with games and knowing everything already kind of ruined it for them. i wouldn't want this to happen to me so lol the less i know, the better tbh.
    Yeahhh this I can relate to! I played FF Fates knowing the plot and felt no motivation to play. It isn't fun to go that way. Now I almost always try to avoid even meme videos related to games I intend to play in the future

Back