• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] GP's Art Dump

Years
Art Gallery 2023

It's been a while since I've shared any of my art on PC. However, I decided to participate in the Make Your Own challenge, so it seems fitting to do so once again. In this thread I'll be sharing art that I feel good enough about to count towards my challenge entries... and also a couple of pieces from last year that I'm particularly pleased with. To keep things nice and organised, I'll divide things up into loose categories.

Goals

- Develop half-painted art style until it's of a consistently decent quality (0/1)
- Art pieces in my older rim light art style (2/10)
- Art pieces in the newer half-painted style (10/10)
- Pokemon Art (1/5)

Last edited:
Years
Semi-Painted Style #1
I've been reading the manga of The Promised Neverland since I got the first couple of volumes for Christmas and needed to read something for Anime & Manga's version of this challenge. Anyway, I love this series so I felt inspired to attempt some fan art. I focused a lot on improving texture and shading for this one - especially learning to represent creases without lining them in. I'm definitely making some progress on that front - especially now that I've gotten some pointers from Kitty.

Something I have noted with this though, is that I'm not great at portraying ages younger or older than late teens-early twenties. I think I probably should have made her head a bit bigger and changed my eye method a bit from how I draw older characters. I'm mostly pretty happy with how this came out though and I'm looking forward to refining this process further because I really like this sort of art style and want to get the hang of it myself.

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Pokemon Art #1
A friend of mine showed me this cool Rotom art they made so I was feeling inspired to do something kind of similar, with my own twist. I leaned heavily into the rim lighting for this one and tried to make Magneton look intimidating and dangerous (and just kind of cool). I recently learned the lesson that just dumping layers of random brushes onto each other makes for cool background and this holds true.

Spoiler:

Years
Mogoon +1 the best art god and ur definitely showing improvement from that one video i sent! keep it up!!

Something I have noted with this though, is that I'm not great at portraying ages younger or older than late teens-early twenties. I think I probably should have made her head a bit bigger and changed my eye method a bit from how I draw older characters. I'm mostly pretty happy with how this came out though and I'm looking forward to refining this process further because I really like this sort of art style and want to get the hang of it myself.

general tip if you wanna draw things younger, bigger heads key
older, smaller heads and more realistic proportions

Years
Semi-Painted Style #1 and #2
So, my next attempt at working on this style... I was not at all happy with so it didn't meet the requirements for my challenge attempt and it won't be getting posted here. So, with more help from Kitty, I did some work to figure out why the previous one hadn't worked out as well. In the end we figured out three things that had caused problems before: colour picking, brush selection and the direction of the folds.

I kept fold direction more uniform, chose darker and more saturated colours for shading and worked with a more solid brush that I then blended and that does seem to have mostly fixed the problems I was having. The end result was one art piece that I am extremely pleased with and one that I think is decent.

The characters in question are Mako from Welcome to Ballroom in the piece I'm very pleased with and a nameless character I just randomly came up with in the lesser one.

Spoiler:

Years
Semi-Painted #3
I actually did this the day before yesterday in another art lesson with Kitty but forgot to post it lmao. You might at this point be noticing that there is an unusually high concentration of anime girls being posted right now compared to my "Greatest Hits" from last year lmao. Turns out, if you want to do a lot of work with different fold shading, dresses are a really good choice of character outfit. You can thank Kitty for that tip.

Anyway, this one is Rika from the Higurashi franchise because it's my favourite series and I'm nothing if not consistent. I kept with the same method as the previous two pieces so far - more saturated colours for shading, blending hard brushes instead of soft and being more careful about where highlights and shadows appear. I did do a couple of things a bit differently this time too though. The more minor two were using two different line colours so the hair didn't clash with the line art and adding subtle hard highlights to accentuate lighting in a few places. The more major change was changing how I shaded and textured the hair. I went through and shaded and highlighted individual sections of the hair first this time, then went back over that with my old texture/shading method. I think the difference is pretty subtle but it does make the lighting more dynamic and natural feeling while keeping the texture that I worked to develop for entirely too long. So woo, that's another one down.

Spoiler:

Years
Semi-Painted #4
The last of the four pieces I put together for (the first wave of) Kitty's art lessons. I think of the four this one probably turned out the worst, but I'd argue it was also the hardest so I'm reasonably happy with it I suppose. I'm still playing around with the method a little bit, but mostly now I'm just trying to get my ability to consistently pull it off up to scratch. My work on creasing especially is still very hit and miss but I'm mostly nailing the shadows on the skin now. I'm not sure how I feel about the hard highlights I've been playing around with. I liked them a lot in the Rika art but in this eeeeeh.

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Rim Lighting #1
I had a very dumb but very amusing idea and just had to make it a reality. But, I'm not very well again right now so, since it's a bit of a joke anyway, I decided to do this as one of my older style drawing for the year. I don't have much to say about the process since it was very cut and dry. I do notice that I think the art quality, while still improving, doesn't really match up to what I'm doing with the newer stuff for the most part. It's still good enough to count, but it's interesting because usually some dramatic rim lighting will sell anything. Maybe my tastes are just evolving.

Anyway, here's Arven working at Subway.

Spoiler:

Years
Semi-Painted #5 and #6
Practice and lessons continue! I feel like I made a big leap forward with my understanding of how to paint in fabric folds recently. Adding a highlight colour against the hard edge of the shadow creates a 3D-looking effect that gives the shadows/creases a lot more depth. I still can't nail it consistently, but it still feels great having figured that out. I just need to refine it now. Consistency of quality continues to be my biggest issue.

This time it's The Last Day of June fanart and Prim from the Guilds of Atria RP over in the RPT.

Spoiler:

Years
Semi-painted #7
So, this is my submission for the shoujo-themed valentines event. I wanted to do something like a movie poster or manga splash page/cover looking thing for it. Originally, I was going to do some AnoHana fan art for it because I love that show, but then I randomly had the idea of doing Your Name instead and using the red string motif from the movie since it's also a common motif in shoujo series in general. In this case, I decided to have the string turn into the comet from the movie.

Anyway, I'm actually really happy with how this turned out. Background art is definitely not my strong suit, but I'm actually fairly happy with how this turned out. The ground looking reflected in the water was a happy accident but I am here for it. The characters themselves I'm thrilled with.

Spoiler:

Years
bob-ross.gif

Years
I did some art of Fen's Spear RP character, Haleigh with her newly acquired Frosmoth. For a bit of an interesting experiment this time, I did the same drawing twice - once with the new more painterly style, once with the old rim-lit style. It's interesting to compared because I think the older-styled one is definitely more immediately striking visually, but the new one is overall a higher quality piece.

Spoiler:

Years
I've been, with more lessons from Chura, experimenting with some more interesting lighting effects in the more painted style. In the first of these, I don't think I quite succeeded. I like how it ended up looking a lot, but it feels more reminiscent of my older style. The second one though, I feel really good about, especially the focus character's face.

Both pictures feature d&d characters played by other PCers. Paralrion played by Lycanthropy in the first and Liz played by Sapphire Rose in the second (ft an NPC).

Spoiler:

Back