• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Game Journal] Greendog's Monthly Gaming Roundup

SteCisGreendog

Iron Armour Forever
Years
  • SteCisGreendog's Monthly Gaming Roundup

Hi there,

This game journal of mine is not trying to ride the coattails of the other generous users logging down their gaming lists for the year. Honest!

Alright... maybe it is. But in a format that I am pleased with publishing. I intend to post my journal on a monthly basis outlining all the games I started, beaten and, dare I say it, complete and never to return again. I have no dedicated genre and would just play whatever my unique tastes are quenching. With RetroAchievements on my side - more on that later - nothing can go wrong?!

January
    Pokémon Fire Red Version
    Game Boy Advance, 2005 (emulated)
    I finished what I started last October with my solo run challenge on this version; principally defeating - not catching - every single Pokémon species in existence with my personal favourite, Aron. That's like 1 vs. 1025 in today's economy. I feel proud to attempt this feat. and even documenting it on this forum. With FireRed, I did all the obligatory stuff. Elite Four, Champion, Sevii Islands, Mewtwo... all without event items and online features since the only cheat I resorted to was change one of the starter Pokémon to Aron. Only 14 Pokémon in the Kanto Pokédex were unaccounted for, which I must say wasn't bad. I did what I could, and am awaiting to make a start on the fourth generation games from February.
    Completion: 41 hours 50 minutes, 137/151 Pokédex

Vampire Survivors
    Switch, 2023
    I started this in December when it was on sale and I had leftover gold points to buy it for what was an already low price tag. It's a bullet hell shooter meets survival sim with legions of enemies onscreen within minutes and, my goodness, they crammed in lots of small details for you to progress with each playthrough. I survive for 20 minutes, a new stage unlocks. I level up my weapon and pick up an accessory, the weapon gets upgraded. I fill up my inventory with every single collectible, a new game mode is there for the taking. It's well thought out and I feel accomplished to discover how a small indie title becomes much more than what it says on the tin. Keeps me coming back for more.
    Completion: ???

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

These two alone would be a modest session for me if it wasn't for RetroAchievements. I forgot the actual target for my gaming goals for the year but it sounds like my real target is going to dwarf that little number thanks to -

Here comes the shameless plug...

...the RetroAchievements' 'World Ticket' series of map-based challenges that circulate on a monthly basis. I've been part of that site since April 2023 and it has given me a new incentive to dive back into emu based gaming with custom achievement sets to give them more of a challenge to complete. I won't delve into that much, but expect some surprises on the list for the games I used to clear each month.

For my first RA World Ticket challenge I started out in my current country and was given a random destination out of other countries on the map. I rolled Russia and luckily had to beat only three genres to reach my goal: Maze Chase (Japan), Kart Racer (China), 2D Platforming (Russia). Seemed simple enough, I thought. Just start out with some low effort titles that match each genre and then leave more time towards something else, which was exactly what I did. Take note that completing the set of achievements 100% was not compulsory to the goal and the incomplete status of these games would be sitting in my backlog until I eventually return to them in future. Here were the first crop of games for January's map:

Lock n' Chase
    Game Boy, 1990
    A maze chase with a cops and robbers aesthetic going on. You're the thief making the big heist amongst room after room of officers in patrol, collecting every piece of gold and the occasional big diamond along the way. It follows a three level per stage format with a different gimmick on each one - stuff like automatic doors, hidden passageways, alarms and, yes, macro/micro enemies at the touch of a switch. Have fun with that.

Clearing Stage 6 ends the game with the option of unlocking an extra six difficult stages through a code on the menu but fortunately I did not have to go through that because the sixth normal stage presented a massive spike in difficulty. It spoiled my perfect run without using continues, dangit. That's all I need to tell you about the poor balancing right at the end. Extra mode can take a hike.
    Completion: 50 minutes, 6/15 achievements

Crazy Frog Racer
    Game Boy Advance, 2005
    If you're an impressionable youngster of the 2000s and have blocked your mind out of this annoying meme, then you can thank me for reminding you that the Crazy Frog still exists. For those who do not know the Crazy Frog, it's the blue creature with the biker helmet and its manhood proudly dangling out on daytime TV shilling ringtones that was based on a Swedish guy impersonating a car. I remember it, and it sucks.

Now onto the game. A substandard Mario Kart clone featuring the Frog and several unknown cartoon characters to fill up space, like the Dream Boy (excellent stats, boy racer attitude), Rasta Dog (average steering control, stereotyping much?), Mafia Hen (what a joke), and so on, complete with powerups that help the player's performance on the track. Race modes include GP, time attack, competitive time attack and battle endurance but the achievement set concerns with winning the 50GP on all three cups to beat it, in its easiest setting. I did intend to clear the set if it wasn't for the steep difficulty curve in the twelth and final track on time attack. Couldn't cinch it, yet I managed 50GP by staying on pole position 3 seconds within starting each race. Unbalanced as heck.

Call it shovelware but I spent a good 30 minutes riffing the hell out of the game, the characters and the pop culture from the day. In all honesty, I avoid those types of games because I know quality when I see it, and thanks to emulation, I can taste and try anything from the past that piques my curiosity.
    Completion: 30 minutes, 12/30 achievements

Ed, Edd and Eddy: the MisdEdventures
    Game Boy Advance, 2005

A basic platformer that bears the license from Cartoon Network, featuring the three Eds and their pursuit of the perfect scam to buy all the jawbreakers in their neighbourhood. The protagonists hang out together and each one can be controlled interchangeably at the touch of a button. Use that Ed to do abilities to get over obstacles on a scrolling 2D environment. I'd say it's pretty faithful to the show since the game is broken down into episodic levels that typically end up with the Eds falling short of their schemes in funny fashion yet somehow manage to save those cents to buy all 20 forms of candy to check that 'collectathon' box.

Now a couple of those achievements required a clear file to start on to unlock which I didn't get, so annoyingly enough I am 2 'cheevos' (as the cool kids call them) short on owning this set. They are both 'do this in XX minutes XX seconds' to give you an idea of what RA is about.

I liked the show growing up but not enough to try the handheld copy or its beefed up PS2 cousin. As a GBA title, the market had enough shovelware to satisfy the entire world population so it was what it was. With this game beaten in under an hour, I completed my monthly challenge all in a weekend. I promise I will put in more of an effort for February.
    Completion: 50 minutes, 10/12 achievements
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

That's it for that cold butt month. I've already got cracking on February's log save for the mystery Pokémon game I plan to log extensively elsewhere and they will be all posted when said and done near the end of the month.

SteCisGreendog

Iron Armour Forever
    Years

Hi there,

The game doodah thing for February. Whoops, this was the last message I need to edit before posting. Now I'm tried, bye bye.

February

Vampire Survivors
    Switch, 2023
    The collectible nature of this bullet heaven (or hell?) survival shooter kept me coming back for more for another month. As of know, I have unlocked all the secret characters, stages, items and achievements. It was just last week when the fangs sank to me; this game is finally reaching its expiry date, meaning that with everything seen and discovered, there's no more reason to keep playing. Okay, not everything has been done yet since there are a set of base adventure scenarios to try out that limits all inventory to a select few that suits the playable character; and if I must go for the completion rating, beat all stages with every character. I haven't decided to go with that one yet. There's always the DLC but trying them now will hasten my being done with Vampire Survivors. All in all, I was attracted with the unsubtle Castlevania references at first, but now with dozens with subtle references from other best known game series, that's getting old.

Pokémon Platinum Version
    Nintendo DS, 2009 (emulated)
    The one I promised to start this month has taken off. It's sort of special because this was the version that pulled me back into Pokemon after my wilderness years with the PS2. As with FireRed last month, I am logging my ongoing solo challenge to beat, not catch, the entire Sinnoh Pokedex. Will I pull off the perfect score? Of course not, but as they say, it's the thrill of the hunt that makes the prize worthwhile.
    Completion: playing, 6/210 Pokédex

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Now to bring RetroAchievements back into this. The Challenge League introduced a second map of the year, this time grouping parts of the map into 'protagonists' rather than genres from January. What kind of protagonists? Well, your superheroes, ninjas, cartoon animals, robots and so on. I cast my roll and was given a starting point and a destination like last time, but after that, navigate to the centre of the board to complete the task. Each game I beat must be relevant to the protagonist node on that spot (for example, for 'martial artist,' one must beat Street Fighter II (SNES) with every playable character on standard difficulty). In total I finished off 7 games with 4 of them completely mastered (all achievements unlocked in that set). It lead me to games I've been itching to try for years and also those that I would never consider. So how did that go?

SOLDIER ~ Halo 2600
    Atari, 2600
    Halo. Atari. Whoa. Settle down, it's a heavily stripped down homebrew action title based on the Halo series. My first roll called for a soldier, and this was the only game in the soldier selection that appealed to me, maybe because of game length. I still put an effort in trying to complete the set seeing as I only have time for these things on weekends.
    Completion: 28 minutes, 7/9 achievements

SPY ~ James Pond 2 - Codename: Robocod
    SEGA Mega Drive, 1991
    Originally I intended to take the spy spot after soldier but the later games I'd experimented with down that route were tough as nails. Tougher than I'd allow it. Regardless, I backtracked to the soldier and chose a different path whilst polishing off James Pond 2 for old time's sake. I had this for the Amiga.
    Completion: 1 hour 33 minutes, 18/27 achievements

MARTIAL ARTIST ~ Streets of Rage
    SEGA Mega Drive, 1991
    It's Streets of Rage, it needs no introduction. In RA, the game is marked 'beaten' when any one of the three characters finish the last stage on Normal difficulty. I actually beat it twice because I chose Easy mode at first and realised my bloody error afterword. Anyhow, it was done with Adam, the powerhouse of the trio, and I must say the invert jump kick proved useful at the nick of time on my last life against Mr. X. I won't likely revisit this set unless I get really bored one day.
    Completion: 2 hours, 25/53 achievements

WILDCARD ~ Rayman Prototype
    SNES, 2017
    A rough and early version of what would become the first entry to the Rayman series of games was dumped in 2017 and conceived somewhere late into the Super Nintendo's lifespan in the mid-1990s. This rom dump is playable to a small extent and can literally by done in less than 2 minutes with a short sample of a level to go at before calling it a day. What's with the 'wildcard' title? Well, the board game was based on the Legend of Zelda and dead centre is Ganon's Castle hence the wildcard. It meant that *any* game in the RA directory can be cleared, not limited to protagonists and 'free points' software - I mean - easily beaten titles with no effort involved.
    Completion: 10 minutes, 10/10 achievements *MASTERED

SUPERHERO ~ Moon Knight
    Vectrex, 2023
    You know you've reached unchartered territory when you stumble upon the freaking VECTREX in your game log. In this case, I chose the superhero mode which wasn't quite as eclectic as I thought in the RA library. There were titles of Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, Hulk and an obscure Japanese hero to go out and not much else. In a fit of desperation for something I can actually beat, I chose this homebrew based on the Marvel character. Don't ask me who he is. I think the best way to describe this game is like Asteroids with bouncy walls and a couple of wolf head enemies to shoot at and catch before they hit the bottom of the screen.
    Completion: 1 hour 12 minutes, 6/6 achievements *MASTERED

DRAGON ~ Blazing Dragons
    Sony PlayStation, 1996
    What is it with point and click games being funny? Why the laughs? Most people accept this as the gospel and go with it whereas I'm the sardonic bastard who wants to get to the bottom of things. It wasn't until Telltale Games revised the point and click concept with hard hitting themes stemming from Batman, Game of Thrones and the one with the werewolf- oh, excuse me for ranting.

This midly interested me through the years because of Crystal Dynamics publishing the game and I always diggered their resume. The late Terry Jones from Monty Python made up the whole idea of dragons ruling over humans in the Medieval setting tells you all you need to know from the humor department, albeit the vocal performances from Jones, Cheech Marin and a who's who of 1990s voice actors elevated things somewhat (hahah, you can tell I'm tired of typing stuff up by now, can't you?). I beat this in one whole run over 4 hours. Why? I don't know!
    Completion: 4 hours 17 minutes, 31/31 achievements *MASTERED

SUPERHERO ~ Superman
    Atari 2600, 1978
    With the dragon hero acquired, I then had to reach the wildcard spot to clear the board. That meant however that passing nodes had to be beaten before advancing, therefore a second visit to the superhero spot. Mostly action platformers that I can never finish, so I recruited Superman for the primitive sort of action on the Atari. Repair the bridge, catch the criminals, stop Lex Luthor and make it to the Daily Planet on time as Clark Kent. Thanks, Supes. What would I do without you?
    Completion: 10 minutes, 6/8 achievements

WILDCARD ~ Taboo: the Sixth Sense
    NES, 1989
    Finish the wildcard node to complete the February challenge! I really wanted to do a Zelda game as a fitting sendoff to the scenario. There was one homebrew Zelda that was developed for the Pokemon Mini but two of my RA-assisted emus could not identify the title, thus no recording proof of beating Zelda Mini. So 'free points' it was from everyone's favourite tarot fortune reading simulator. The set pertains to seeing all tarot figures for the first time. Besides putting in the player's name, date and question to be judged by, where's the skill? Thank gosh for the fast-forward feature.
    Completion: 59 minutes, 26/26 achievements *MASTERED

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Wonder what will the March challenge bring? Happy Leap Day!

SteCisGreendog

Iron Armour Forever
    Years

Hi there,

This month brings me a RetroAchievement challenge that's about three times bigger than the first two combined.

March

Vampire Survivors
    Switch, 2023
    Yeah, I'm just about done with this. The Switch port got a free update the day after my last log and I finished all additional features in the 'Space' update within an hour with only one of the Base Adventures left to clear. It held my attention while it lasted, as I say. I'm still leaving my completion rate up in the air.

Pokémon Platinum Version
    Slow progress this month. I got busy in the real world and also with RetroAchievements. Currently I'm at two gym badges and have reached Hearthrome City where everybody and their dog can't stop talking about 'The Contest' (and I don't mean the Seinfeld episode). Whoops, er... I'm saving my best material for the next part of the Travel Log. :>
    Completion: playing, 53/210 Pokédex

Balatro
    PS5, 2023
    A new one for March, and wow, what a doozy this one is. I can't find much to fault with rougelites when titles like this promises to experiement with the genre. When Balatro was making the rounds on its first week I wanted to download the Switch port but ESRB fooled around with the ratings and got all pulled off. A few days of this and I got tired of waiting and downloaded the PS5 version.
    Excuse me if I use inside terminology for this bit: Balatro is poker with scores, multipliers and a bucket load of Jokers that trigger those big points. One run consists of eight 'antes' or rounds that upscale in difficulty with three 'blinds' to try your skill or luck. Deal your best poker hand to beat the score and win cash to spend on better cards and other boons. Skipping the first two blinds is optional and in doing so will give you a positive effect which is sometimes worth the consquences of playing your deck in an effort to increase your multiples. Using the tried and tested rougelite formula, they made trying and losing part of the game and subsequent playthroughs will net you new cards to improve your score. In any case you do win your eigth ante, the run is complete and you are rewarded with a new deck or 'stake' (like gambling chips) each with their own variables that spice up the gameplay. And with that, I think I'm done explaining why it got my attention this month.
    It's pretty good. Reminds me of how moreish Vampire Survivor was, and I can't foresee putting Balatro down anytime soon. One morning I woke up two hours early than usual to boot up a run and tried out a deck that's said to be tough to complete, and my goodness, I managed to clear it in one go. Prodigy in the making? Pah!
    Completion: playing, ???

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

The March edition of RA's Challenge League takes the castle from Castlevania and throws in the Vampire Killer weapon needed to destroy Count Dracula. Now each of the 35 rooms has a theme that matches the node from the game I needed to clear. For example, for the 'Duck' room I would need to beat DuckTales (NES) or Darkwing Duck (SNES) before I advance to the next room, which would be 'Tokusatsu'. My next game then would be Ultraman or something else that resembles that theme. Like with February's board, a starting point and location of the weapon is randomly allocated. My route is below with the green text denoting the game is beaten:

(Start) POST-APOCALPTIC > CANINES > MOAI > AMNESIA > CARTOON NETWORK/NICKELODEON > CYBERPUNK (Vampire Killer) > MONKEYS > BASED ON A TV SHOW > ANCIENT EGYPT/ROME > DINOSAURS > MYTHOLOGY/FOLKLORE > WILDCARD (Dracula's Room)

Christmas bells. That's a mouthful.

So, what were those first four nodes?

POST-APOCOLYPTIC ~ Panzer Dragoon Mini
    Game Gear, 1996
    A Japanese exclusive based on one of many SEGA's dormant series. I accidentally started and cleared it on the emu's 'softcore' mode (save/load states allowed) which goes against the rules of the challenge, forcing me to do it again on 'hardcore'. It's a good thing it wasn't too difficult, but that one idle achievement to beat it all on Hard Mode is trying to draw me back in for another go.
    Completion: 30 minutes, 18/19 achievements

CANINES ~ 102 Dalmatians: Puppies to the Rescue
    Game Boy Color, 2000
    A loose adaptation of the live action movie (and my second ever film I ever watched at the cinema behind Dinosaur, can't win 'em all). This was another pushover until I came to the heavy hitters in another room. I bet Cruella de Vil was happy of me making short work on those pups.
    Completion: 1 hour, 24/36 achievements

MOAI ~ Super Mario Land
    Game Boy, 1990
    It's Super Mario Land. Enough Said. What's with the 'Moai' node, then? Well they are one of the enemy characters prominently featured in Daisy's exotic abode and they were tricky customers at that.
    Completion: 40 minutes 18/36 achievements

AMNESIA ~ Shadowrun
    SNES, 1993
    My first choice for the 'amnesia' room would have been Flashback for the Mega Drive, but the emu couldn't track it for logging. Rather than waste time, I took Shadowrun to task, which would have been my game for the 'Cyberpunk' room. Here, Jake Armitage, the guy with memory loss after a near fatal hit goes after a corrupt corporate syndicate that did the number on him in a universe combining the fantasy of orcs and dragons and the technology of hacking and cybernetics.
    I gave Shadowrun a go once a few years ago when tinkering with my Retro Pie emulated raspberry pi device. Suffice to say I wasn't too good at it unlike now. It is best described as an Western action RPG with point-and-click elements like those from the first PC Fallout games. I even tried out the real RPG at a games meet in 2022 by coincidence. No DnD but still I was honoured to have first hand experience with those kinds of games.
    This was by far my longest 'run' at a game for RA in short couple hour stretches through March. All the achievements were nicely paced and manageable, so much so that I'd be happy to unlock them all. For now though, I need a break before I'm ready for my next assignment.
    Completion: 12 days, 59/75 achievements

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Not even halfway through! :( On the bright side, April will be the period to catch up on unfinished boards in time for the next board in May. Whatever those next games will me, it ain't done until it's done!

Last edited:

SteCisGreendog

Iron Armour Forever
    Years

Hi there,

This month brings more of the same, plus more of a focus on my Retro Achievements challenge.

April

Pokémon Platinum Version
    Still plodding on with this, and to think that I got over one hurdle with the Veilstone Fighting gym only to come up to the Water gym in Pastoria with my Steel type solo. Two disadvantageous type battles in a row! To say anymore of this would be spoilers!
    Completion: playing, 103/210 Pokédex

Balatro
    PS5, 2024
    Gosh, I didn't think I'd say this, but I felt the hype for Balatro had died down this month with me only picking up to play maybe about four runs in April compared to 40+ the month before. It is what it is.
    Completion: playing, ???

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Moving onto Retro Achievements, this month was a breather period for people to catch up on the first three Challenge League Boards. The Castlevania theme for March had me searching each room for the fabled Vampire Killer to vanquish Dracula in the final room. As you can see in the allocated route below, I still had work to do.

(Start) POST-APOCALPTIC > CANINES > MOAI > AMNESIA > CARTOON NETWORK/NICKELODEON > CYBERPUNK (Vampire Killer) > MONKEYS > BASED ON A TV SHOW > ANCIENT EGYPT/ROME > DINOSAURS > MYTHOLOGY/FOLKLORE > WILDCARD (Dracula's Room)

Which were all finished by May and I included the rest of those games here.

CARTOON NETWORK/NICKELODEON ~ Nicktoons Racing
    Game Boy Color, 2000
    As far as kart racers go, this was very playable despite featuring a lackluster amount of characters and tracks from the PS1 version, but it did include new kid on the block Spongebob Squarepants. You may have heard of him... racing all 20 tracks was required to win and I did it all with Eliza Thornberry (after my stupid ass forgot to toggle 'hardcore mode' on after winning the game with Arnold, just like I did with Panzer Dragoon Mini).
    Completion: 32 minutes, 5/29 achievements

CYBERPUNK ~ Streets of Rage 3
    Ugh, Cyberpunk. Not my favourite genre of anything, but was required to pick up the Vampire Killer before going on my way to the final Wildcard node. If any kind of storytelling ever suggests to you that smoking cigarettes are good for you - and I'm looking at you, purple-haired asshole from Policenauts - I say a wholehearted 'f*ck you' thanks to my real life capnophobia. Stupid shitheads.

With that out of my chest, hopefully Streets of Rage 3 did not contain any kind of harmful messages other than integrating a cyborg terrorist threat that overshadowed the original criminal uprising that the first two games introduced. It's a weird one, but a soundtrack which I've grown to appreciate. Despite it all, I got the crummy bad ending where you fail to beat the final boss under a strict time limit.
    Completion: 1 hour, 17/48 achievements

MONKEYS ~ Donkey Kong Country
    Game Boy Advance, 2003
    Not the SNES original (that I since beaten and mastered not long ago so that doesn't count) but the GBA port that added some bells to whistles on such a neat game like fishing and dancing minigames. Besides the controls feeling off, I expected no less from my favourite Nintendo character bar none.
    Completion: 1 week, 29/80 achievements

BASED ON A TV SHOW ~ Popeye
    NES, 1983
    Stronger than dirt, tougher than your mom's casserole. Still is. This was started long before the challenge and was on hand for me to beat properly on the difficult Game B. I had this in my childhood, too.
    Completion: 6 months, 20/40 achievements

ANCIENT EGYPT/ROME ~ Asterix
    Arcade, 1992
    There was a tricky pool to choose from in this category. After failing hard at the SNES Asterix, I decided to go for the Arcade beat-em up port and hoped the set would give me some leeway in completing the game which I could not do from my nearby sea town when I was a young tyke. Control Asterix or his friend Obelix to free his Gaul village from Roman rule with stages taken from the many stories of his comic book history. It also made me go to the library to read his books around the time I discovered there was an arcade game nearby. I could never get past level 2 but thanks to emulation, now I can!
    Completion: 48 minutes 35/61 achievements

DINOSAURS ~ Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
    Arcade, 1993
    This game rules! It's Cadillacs, but more importantly, dinosaurs based from the comic in the early 1990s. Lacking a home console port for reasons unknown, this arcade fighter is in a league of its own.
    Completion: 54 minutes 16/44 achievements

MYTHOLOGY/FOLKLORE ~ Sirene
    Arduboy, 2016
    I will say that this node was a pain in the ass to find a game worth beating. After failing badly at The Battle of Olympus, Goemon and Disney's Hercules, I had to settle for an Arduboy original starring a mermaid in an undersea shooter in the vain of R-Type, but simpler. It was worth grinding as I had no other choice. Almost mastered it too if not for taking damage from the final boss at Stage 9.
    Completion: 4 days 15/16 achievements

WILDCARD ~ Tetris26
    Atari 2600, 1998
    An easy grab for the final game to clear the board with. A homebrew version of Tetris programmed for the Atari 2600 that takes around half a minute to be familiar with the controls. Maybe the first game I quickly mastered for all those achievements in just over 4 minute.
    Completion: 4 minutes 8/8 achievements MASTERED

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Well, got nothing more to say than buckle down and get ready for May's challenge. Thanks for reading if you managed this far!

Back