• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Talk] Gripes of requests and commissions

Reunilu

of the Eastern Skies
Years
  • Disclaimer: I'm not talking about anyone in particular, it was just a thing that came to mind when I was looking through my old requests.

For the people that do requests and/or commissions, do you have anything that pushes your buttons when people want something made from you? How often does it tend to happen (if it happens at all)?

Go.

Years
  • People who have no specifications. At all. Draw a girl, she has blue hair and weird tavern clothes. Height, weight, color scheme, skin color, do you want her to be happy or sad or????

1, it's hard to come up with a price for that and 2, it's hard to create when you have no real limitations. I can create artwork like that but it's a lot of stress and confusion to do it that way. Especially when you have a big project, you don't end up pricing it right because you didn't anticipate you basically have to do all the art direction yourself.

The other way can get difficult of being too specific, but in general I find it easier than trying to deal with with someone who has no specifications at the time, but may have had something particular in their mind they just apparently didn't have the ability to communicate.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2016
    My problem is when you people who like the things you like and they say things like

"Your work sucks".

They do not want to give you a chance to work with you at all. It is like talking to a childish wall. They just want you to have a wall of good work ( what they consider good ) and then you just go out and make work for them. That is all.

Personally with creativity you need to understand the consumer/client needs. The client might want something that is not so amazing to you but it makes money. You have people who go to college only to do a job that a teenager could do. However it makes money.

Think about it that way. Your primary objective is to make income from your work. Your secondary objective is to work on the stuff you want to do. The only way you could have both is if your work is and truly is your own work.

You have to think about things like this 6 X 12 = 72. This means as an artist you should be making around 6,000 a month. Meaning three jobs consisting of 2,000 or somewhere along those lines. What is wrong with this? The problem is that you could also be making $75 per hour doing what you do based on your skills and abilities. Bigger problem? You have people who want things to be colored. Then again there artist who are making more then what I suggest.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Back