• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How you guys got started

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2021
    I opened up Rm2k3 in a long time, and it reminded me of how I got started;
    what I did during the past couple of years, who I met, and so on...

So how did you guys get started? How far do you think you've come?

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • Ummm... Okay if you want to know...

About two years ago I saw this cool DBZ game, so I downloaded it-but it wouldn't work...Why? I needed to download the RM2K gamemaker (at that time I didn't know what that was...) to play the game. I did and I loved the game. And about a year later I was searching for pokemon games and the like, and I came across this site, I looked at all the games, and I though they all looked great. I looked around for programs, and I downloaded every single one, to try to find the one for me. And finally in August (this past August) I downloaded RMXP, it was the best so far, I had a knack for it. Finally, in September I began my first game...

Well that's it, tell me what you think.

Sorye HK

Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2021
    Everyone has a place they start off. I don't think it's necessary to rate one's
    life. I had a similar experience, except my want to start a game began when
    I played my first PS game: Rayman.

Fangking Omega

Acanthite founder
    Years
  • I began in 2003.

An online friend called Meweight, or sometimes Tails, created Ang: The Game in RM2k. This was in honour of Anguris Neo, admin of Pokémon Zeo, who we celebrated at Angfest in August. The game was released for Angfest. In response, I decided to try my hand at RM2k.

It was very early on that I decided to have a go at a Pokémon game. Later in August, I'd already planned it out... I got myself down to the old Booda Sack Project forums. I was looking for tilesets and stuff, but there weren't any really. In traditional Fangking fashion, I decided I'd have to create the tilesets myself, just like I'd gone and made tons of blanks for fake cards back in my faking days. Rather than ask others, I've always gone and done things myself, as requests are rarely answered...

So the earliest batch of uncredited tilesets for RM2k/3 you'll find are often courtesy of Fangking. They're also usually quite poor compared to what was to come.

By the end of August 2003, I had teamed up with Mateo of the Booda Sack Project Forums. This would become a long and productive partnership. We began to help each other in creating better tilesets. And we kept getting better. For quite some time we carried on working in the realms of RM2k/3. And not getting far enough.

Mid 2004 began the RainbowGold project, my very first VIABLE attempt at a proper game. Aided by Mateo, we reconstructed Johto. It was possibly one of the better Johto reconstructions at the time, but still very poor compared to what would come. RMXP was coming...

In the latter stages of 2004, RainbowGold was abandonned, and Acanthite began. Inspired by RMXP's incredible tileset capabilities, I set about ripping absolutely everything I could to create the ultimate Pokémon tileset. As always, Mateo was invaluable to this plight. He revealed his excellent graphics customisation skills. Early 2005, The tileset was already huge, and the 2nd Johto reconstruction began.

It was much better, particularly thanks to RMXP's huge tileset power. I also began to delve into the realms of minor scripting. We were getting somewhere! The new Johto was even better than the last... but still not great, looking back on it.

June 2005 saw the end of my old hard drive. It also saw a temporary disappearance of the Fangking from the Pokémon scene once the new one was put into the computer. I wasn't too keen on restarting the whole project from scratch, and I'd lost the tileset, and Mateo was not in possession of its more recent incarnations. However, it was finally dug up, and I was filled with the fervour to start again. Around late August, Acanthite recommenced.

This time, things were different. No longer were Mateo and myself able to accept anything less than quality in our work. Mateo began producing some of his finest work yet, and I myself grew in spriting prowess, and the tileset grew larger and larger. We rethought the whole Acanthite concept and it became something new, something original. My mapping had finally peaked. I felt like I was easily able to replicate the quality and feel of true maps from FRLG, and all this was helped by Mateo's fantastic graphical power. I began to explore my own spriting abilities even further also, which saw the arrival of such things as a new and much improved Burned Tower and Tin Tower for the tileset. Blizzy's starter-kit also gave us a new lease of life.

In more recent history, I've lent myself to the GSC Platinum project which saw the culmination of my Johto remake prowess. Finally I am 100% satisfied with my ability to update Johto in FRLG style graphics. I'm currently on board with the Topaz Project, quite an excellent and very promising concept that I'm very happy to be helping out with. This one is very exciting and I'm sure when it's finished it will amaze.

So that's my story. Where I am at now is a very good position. I like to think of myself as a scripter of acceptable level (nothing great but I can manage), an able spriter when needed, and one of the better mappers on the scene, and I hope to be able to offer plenty more to the projects I am involved with. Mateo continues to offer only the top level of work to aid me. I love this scene, and it's full of excellent game makers and visionaries who it is an honour to work beside. With everybody's support and inspiration, I've been able to grow into a nicely rounded game maker.

The Dash

Hurr.
    Years
  • Ooohh let me think.
    Im not officially a game maker but i use RMXP,RM2003 from time to time.

It think it was about 2001.
    I found a link to a website (www.rmrecources.com i think it was)
    And downloaded a game. I cant remember its name but it was awesome.
    I started to really want to try out the software (RM2000 at the time) and to make my own game. So I did. laster that year I started getting a bit bored and only went on it occasionally. Then RM2003 came out translated. So I got back into it and went throught the same pattern again. Then RMXP translated came out and well..here I am now.

Sorye HK

Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2021
    Dashiel said:
    Ooohh let me think.
    Im not officially a game maker but i use RMXP,RM2003 from time to time.

It think it was about 2001.
    I found a link to a website (www.rmrecources.com i think it was)
    And downloaded a game. I cant remember its name but it was awesome.
    I started to really want to try out the software (RM2000 at the time) and to make my own game. So I did. laster that year I started getting a bit bored and only went on it occasionally. Then RM2003 came out translated. So I got back into it and went throught the same pattern again. Then RMXP translated came out and well..here I am now.
    Guess everyone starts off with finding their first maker. XD

Fangking Omega said:
    I began in 2003.

So that's my story. Where I am at now is a very good position. I like to think of myself as a scripter of acceptable level (nothing great but I can manage), an able spriter when needed, and one of the better mappers on the scene, and I hope to be able to offer plenty more to the projects I am involved with. Mateo continues to offer only the top level of work to aid me. I love this scene, and it's full of excellent game makers and visionaries who it is an honour to work beside. With everybody's support and inspiration, I've been able to grow into a nicely rounded game maker.
    I've admired you for a long time, Fangking Omega, and it was nice to have heard your
    story. I wish good luck for the both of you and may another GREAT year of Game Dev'ing pass. XD

Last edited:

AssassinX

The Royal Assassin
    Years
  • It began a year ago for me, I was at my friends house playing D & D and he, started talking to his brother about rm2k, instantly ive been hooked on rpgmakers like rm2k,rm2k3,rmxp my first game ever I finished in 2 weeks lol, it SUCKED, but still the fact of making your own rpg is an awesome concept, and I hope more people find this hobby appealing!

mattgcn

Fakemon Lurker
    Years
  • PT...the original 8 founders..or 9 or something, were working at the Pokemon Neuto project..then they caught wind of the Pokemon Online engine, as I'm sure everyone in the Fan Sprites forum at Serebii noticed around Halloween of 2003, since there was about 30-some game projects, only three of which survived when the forums died, and only one of which still exists today after PO is dead. The reason for such is because we made forums. We lived on an EZboard for about two months, then we got a proboards that we still use to this day. The sites we've gone through a number of free hosts, then we got into the servage pay host with our own domain, and its stuck well.

Progress, meh.

dark heart

i like making 3d games danmit!
    Years
  • herroh! i origanaly started off not that long ago actually, i think a few months back i was designing a new half-life game called half-life evelution when i got bored.
    not many things were happening for me, such as, my game wasn't importing segments, it woulden't import objects as it was suposed to, so i decided to make an rgp as it was only 2d it was more easy and fun to make and so i started to make a game with in mind another pokemon game, but not jst any one it is going to be able to go to lot's of other places like kanto, johto, hoen and that camecube one and i'm still working on it, it won't look a bit like those ones that people put out it is going to be very detailed and the charactors won't look like little podgey dolls, thats it.

Back