• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Is an anime ever too long for you to watch?

Years
  • There are many anime out there with tons of episodes - I'm talking hundreds, and sometimes even over a thousand (One Piece comes to mind).

Can an anime ever have too many episodes for you to watch, or are you willing to watch anything as long as you're interested?

pkmin3033

There aren't too many anime that interest me that are over 100 episodes, so I can't say I've ever encountered this issue. As long as I'm interested in the show I think it'd fine though - I only watch an episode a day, so I'm in for a long haul regardless of what I choose, and if the pacing isn't too bad and there aren't too many pointless filler episodes/arcs I think I'd be fine with watching something that went on for a small eternity.

It just so happens that the longer-running shows are filled with just that, haha. I will never watch One Piece unless someone makes a Kai version like Naruto (which is actually, to my shock, very good with all the filler cut out of it!) and there are some arcs of Dragonball Z I will never watch again.

Years
  • Yeah... I don't where my limit exactly is and it's not like I'll never watch a long series, but I have so many things I want to watch, read, play - do in general. It's generally a better use of my time to watch a lot of shorter series I'm interested in that to get through one longer show.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • The likes of Case Closed, Shin Chan, and One Piece certainly come to mind. I'm a big binger so I'll watch through 20-30 episodes a day if I can, but with shows like that with over 1000 eps, it just starts to feel like work if it's done every day. And if I don't do it every day, I tend to leave for several months before picking back up again lmao. I watch through shows like Naruto, DBZ/S, Bleach, and Inuyasha a lot as I go to sleep since I already more or less know the content, but still will end up getting through each in a couple months... so no, idk if I really have a limit. Although if I ever felt like getting into Doraemon, I'm sure I'd probably realize where it is sooner or later since that show is like 3000+ episodes and like 40 or 50 movies long at this point. Certainly not something I can fathom setting aside the time for currently lol

.hack

skunkape
    Years
  • as you already touched on, for me I think One Piece is the main one that comes to mind, I'd love to watch it one day. The length just makes it feel like it's such a big commitment tho!
    I do have to be super motivated to watch anything with over 50 episodes tbh, much more so that a shorter 12-24ish series.
    But if I really really wanna watch an anime, I'll pick it up whatever the length is, I feel they just get pushed back in priority due to being much larger commitments.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Anything that's longer than 44 minutes is just too much for me. But, I'll watch anything, really. Except Detective Conan, that series is too ridiculously long.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    The longest I've ever gone through is Hunter x Hunter (2011) which was 148 episodes and even then that took me years to get through at my pace. I really can't see myself watching anything past that length as when it's usually that long I'll read the manga instead :D

Maybe would be willing if I ever get back to finishing Gintama or Naruto.. I did start Detective Conan once and I genuinely really enjoyed it but lord 1000 episodes or around that is truly something. I think my upper cap right now is like 100ish episodes before I check out..

Last edited:

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I definitely made the push to watch every episode of Gintama because it's one of my favorite anime. It's so comical and entertaining that I am glued to it (even if there is a barely plot).

I'd like to complete several series I've heard good things about, such as Fairy Tail and Hunter x Hunter, but I have trouble finding the time / watching at my own pace. I watch about 5-10 episodes, then forget.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Since my attention span is really short, yes haha. I prefer short story-intensive 10 ep shows to hundreds of episodes, like Erased. I remember watching Inuyasha and just never finishing it because it was so long and they just never got together lmao. (apparently they did but not fast enough for me 😂)

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Honestly anything over 13 eps had better be DAMN good because I can barely get through the 13, nevermind something longer.

I've made peace with the fact that I will never get into a lot of shows because of the commitment of dozens if not hundreds of episodes.

forg

ba-dum tssss. [icon]coffee-pot[/icon]
    Years
  • Given that I just started One Piece knowing fully well what lies ahead of me, I can truly say that I don't think an anime can be too long so long as it keeps my interest.

On the contrary, I don't enjoy the thought of watching very short anime series. I find satisfaction in that I can follow characters and learn of the world's lore were it to be a longer series, but I get afraid that with a shorter series I'm left still hungry and somewhat desiring more. Quite selfish of me, yes, but time and time again I've been left disillusioned due to finishing an anime so darn quickly. But hey. That's a me problem.

Back