• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Issues with re-installing Pokeemerald

The Ferydra

Pink Emerald's designer
Days
  • Greetings.

So, here's the thing, I want to make a Pokemon Emerald romhack whose main appeal is giving new evolutions to Pokemon desperate for them. Long ago, I installed Pokeemerald and Pokeemerald-expansion to do this, but I did that back before they added certain Pokemon I wanted to be in the hack (more specifically, Farigiraf and Annihilape). I didn't felt like continuing it due some issues with work and put the game on stand-by. Now, I want to retake the project even if it means working bit by bit every day instead of progressing as fast as possible, but for that, I decided to re-install Pokeemerald and eventually the expansion to, on top of adding those two mons, adding things like moves added in G9 aas well as fixing a bug in my previous build that made Rare Candies not work for any reason.

Thing is, I followed Team Aqua's Hideout guide step-by-step (outside the parts that included installing things I already installed), and reached the point where he uses the Compare command to test the rom is working properly, but when I tried to do the same, I got an issue that said:

"make: *** No rule to make target 'compare'. Stop."

And I wanted to see how could I fix this.

Thank you in advance, best regards.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • Greetings.

So, here's the thing, I want to make a Pokemon Emerald romhack whose main appeal is giving new evolutions to Pokemon desperate for them. Long ago, I installed Pokeemerald and Pokeemerald-expansion to do this, but I did that back before they added certain Pokemon I wanted to be in the hack (more specifically, Farigiraf and Annihilape). I didn't felt like continuing it due some issues with work and put the game on stand-by. Now, I want to retake the project even if it means working bit by bit every day instead of progressing as fast as possible, but for that, I decided to re-install Pokeemerald and eventually the expansion to, on top of adding those two mons, adding things like moves added in G9 aas well as fixing a bug in my previous build that made Rare Candies not work for any reason.

Thing is, I followed Team Aqua's Hideout guide step-by-step (outside the parts that included installing things I already installed), and reached the point where he uses the Compare command to test the rom is working properly, but when I tried to do the same, I got an issue that said:

"make: *** No rule to make target 'compare'. Stop."

And I wanted to see how could I fix this.

Thank you in advance, best regards.
    make compare is a command that builds a ROM and checks if the SHA-1 of the ROM generaed matches the SHA-1 of the ROM Game Freak created.
    It was removed from the Pokeemerald-expansion because it was worthless; the SHA-1 of the ROM generated by the expansion was never going to match the SHA-1 of a vanilla ROM.
    You simply have to use make + whatever optional parameters you want, such as -j.

The Ferydra

Pink Emerald's designer
    Days
  • make compare is a command that builds a ROM and checks if the SHA-1 of the ROM generaed matches the SHA-1 of the ROM Game Freak created.
    It was removed from the Pokeemerald-expansion because it was worthless; the SHA-1 of the ROM generated by the expansion was never going to match the SHA-1 of a vanilla ROM.
    You simply have to use make + whatever optional parameters you want, such as -j.
    Oh I see. I hadn't quite got what the point of comparing the roms was. Thanks!

Back