• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Gen 3] Jbsundown's Pokemon Hunt

Years
  • Welcome to The Hunt™ where it is my goal to run through each of the pokemon games from Fire Red to Ultra Moon with the purpose of collecting all the event pokemon along the way.

What?
    I want to complete all the content these games have to offer, discover all the places and mechanics that I haven't found before and enjoy the games. Some of the games I've not even played before. My aim is to get all the legendaries/mythics/special pokemon that the games have to offer and see what the games are like in a much deeper way than I have in the last... 15 years or so when I stopped playing the games deeply and just followed through the story instead.

The games I'm looking to complete are:
    Fire Red, Emerald, Platinum, Heart Gold, Black, White 2, Y, Omega Ruby, Ultra Moon with possible extensions into the switch games some time in the future.

Why?
    I recently played back through Crystal for the most recent GT and having to come up with solutions for some of my challenges meant I had to look into all these specific scenarios around the games. Such as knowing that a Lapras will spawn in Dark Cave but only on a Friday! I enjoyed discovering this little secret and started looking at similar things across other games. I recently saw a post in here by user Janp doing a Genlocke and that idea sounded really cool as well! With moving through the generations like that and it got me thinking that, what if I did something similar? Gather all the unique pokemon I can and transferring them across the different generations and seeing how far I can go and what I can collect? So here's my idea that I'm calling The Hunt where I try to get all the possible pokemon and see the interesting places the games have to offer.

Other Questions
    - Will you complete the pokedex/nationaldex?
    No. Not unless it's relatively easy to achieve or adds something very interesting into the game for me.

- Are you playing through emulators or the real games?
    While either myself or my family members own all of the listed games, I'll be running through emulators due to liking the saves I have already and the convenience of emulators as well as being able to use things like PKHex and start the events where necessary.

- Why Omega Ruby when Emerald is included?
    I think these games are different enough to warrant being included twice. The pokemon that you can get in them are different enough as well given how many generations separate them, and you cannot get the Old Sea Map in Fire Red, so Emerald will have to be completed in order to catch a mew. I definitely want to do all the event pokemon that require some steps and don't just drop them into your PC.

- Roaming Pokemon
    I'm trying my best to avoid roaming pokemon as much as possible because I never liked the mechanic all that much. If a pokemon is catchable but only in roaming form, chances are I just won't bother with it in the end.

The List
    This list is built by me searching through many lists on Bulbapedia, it may be missing things or have things in the wrong places. Please let me know if you think of something that's not on the list!
    I'll be striking off pokemon as I get them and writing updates here for it too.
    Fire Red:
    Squirtle (for Raikou), Zapdos, Articuno, Moltres, Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Deoxys

Emerald:
    Hoenn1, Johto1, Wynaut, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Latias, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Mew, Jirachi, (maybe deoxys again?)

Platinum:
    Sinnoh1, Glaceon, Leafeon, Regigigas (using emerald regis), Regigigas (event necessary for Regirock, Regice, Registeel), spiritomb, Rotom, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Heatran, Cresselia, Darkrai, Shaymin, Manaphy, Arceus

Heart Gold:
    Entei, Suicune, Johto2, Kanto2, Hoenn2, Dialga/Palkia, Latios, Porygon

Black:
    Unova1, Zorua, Darmanitan, Zoroark (needs a shiny beast), Larvesta, Reshiram, Zekrom, Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion, Tornadus, Thundurus, Landorus, Kyurem, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect

White 2:
    Unova2, Volcarona, Cresselia, Haxorus, Kyurem, Reshiram, Zekrom, Latias, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Regigigas

Y:
    Kanto3, Kalos1, Yvetal, Zygarde, Mewtwo, Diancie, Volcanion, Hoopa, Xerneas

Omega Ruby:
    Johto3, Hoenn3, Sinnoh2, Unova3, Regirock, Regice(nicknamed), Registeel, Regigigas, Heatran, Ho-Oh, Lugia, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Deoxys, Cresselia, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Uxie, Mesprit, Azel, Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Tornadus, Thundurus, Landorus

Ultra Moon:
    Sinnoh3?, Poipole, Type Null, Zygarde, Cosmog, Bewear, Sandygast, Tapu koko, Tapu Lele, Tapu Bulu, Tapu Fini, Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma, Nihilego, Buzzwole, Pheromosa, Xurkitree, Celesteela, Kartana, Guzzlord, Stakataka, Blacephalon, Marshadow, Zeraora, Meltan?, Melmetal?

MVs.C Fan

Newbie (ChillEnjoyer)
    Years
  • This idea has potential. I really want to see how this is going to end, so i will stay on tune about this challenge. It seems a little crazy considering the amount of time you need to finish successfully, but i wish luck.

Years
  • Kanto Complete!

This lengthy hunt has got off to a good start. Being familiar with Fire Red helped a lot with being able to plan for certain things (such as needing 60 pokemon to unlock the postgame properly) and where to get the Exp. Share and things like rare candy locations and pp ups. I went through the game without having too much of a plan for my first team, other than that I would need Squirtle to have a roaming Raikou to match my plans. I tried with a lot of things, but in the end I thought I'd try and have a decently balanced team that was quite powerful based on their BST.
    The game progressed as normal, beating the gyms, defeating team rocket, etc. I made good use of the Game Corner for their TMs to teach Flamethrower, Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt and Ice Beam to various team members. As well as getting the Mystic Water and Charcoal. And I conquered the Elite 4 the first time with this team:
    Spoiler:

Now here is where the Hunting began. I stopped by Mt. Ember to get the Moltres, Power Plant for Zapdos and Seafoam Islands for Articuno. This was relatively straightforward with using Stun Spore, getting their HP low and throwing Ultra Balls like there was no tomorrow! I completed the post game story with shutting down the Rocket Warehouse and
    I then attempted to capture Raikou. This was a disaster! I got them to appear in Route 2 between Viridian and Pewter, but they would instantly flee. I caught a bunch of paras for tiny mushrooms so I could forget Strength and teach Block to my Snorlax. Bad idea as Raikou was still able to flee even before I could use Block! I caught a few diglets until I had Arena Trap and tried to use that but switching out meant Raikou could also flee! In the end, I knew I had found my Master Ball candidate and would leave Raikou until last.
    I used PKHEX to activate the Mystic Ticket and Aurora Ticket mystery gift events, as well as the 10 year anniversary Celebi event.
    Spoiler:
    This meant I could go and battle Deoxys, Lugia and Ho-Oh. These battles were all quite straightforward too, stun spore into Ultra Balls. Amazingly the Deoxys capture worked on my first Ultra Ball throw. Is it scripted to be guaranteed to catch no matter what? I don't think so, just lucky I guess. I liked the little puzzle to spawn the Deoxys too, it was nice to have an extra area to go somewhere after the event and not just have them given to you.
    Having never been to these parts of the game it was pretty cool! I remember reading about them in magazines when I was much younger and being there was oddly nostalgic even though, as I've said, I'd never been there!

This left Mewtwo and Raikou. Mewtwo took a while. As I was saving the Master Ball for Raikou, I had to use Ultra balls for this. Mewtwo's fight looks specifically designed to make it hard to catch without using a master ball. Recover + Safeguard! Often they would use Safeguard at the start of the battle meaning Stun Spore was ineffective and they would KO my poor Exeggutor immediately after. These attempts were always restarts. Then getting their HP low, they just recover it back up making it much harder to capture! After probably about 30 attempts, using over 40 Ultra balls each, they were captured!
    Finally, Raikou. This was simple now we were going to use the Master Ball. Simply go in and out of the Route 2 gate until Raikou is in Route 2 and throw the master ball!

The final step in Kanto then is the Elite 4 round 2. I don't think I've ever beaten the Kanto Elite 4 twice before and with my incredibly powerful team of Legends and Mythics, it was pretty straightforward. Just needing some TMs to change some of the movesets and some PPUPs. It was nice to see the slightly different teams the E4 members had this time. The dialogue is slightly different in places too which is cool, I like it when things like this are added in.

Here's the final team:
    Spoiler:

And here is my "Trophies" box:

Spoiler:

Time to sort out trading between the emulators and to move onto Emerald!

MVs.C Fan

Newbie (ChillEnjoyer)
    Years
  • This was interesting to read. I knew you can handle it.

That Raikou it's probably the most annoying thing ever, all because it flee every time!! (Gosh, i hate when Pokémon do that)

Good luck throught Hoenn.

Back