• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

let's talk about REMAKES

Years
  • what are some of your favorite remakes/remasters/ports from the last few years?

what game do you think is overdue to be brought to a modern system?

Years
  • I'm excited for the Thousand Year Door remake to come out; it's badly needed a remake for years, and it'll finally give me the opportunity to try it without paying ridiculous prices on eBay for an original disc.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    From the past few years: the special editions for Monkey Island 1 and 2. Updated the graphics and added in voice acting. Permits you to toggle between the new version and old version mid-game. Satisfies the purist and the newcomer. (Wishes for old graphics and voice acting, though. Cannot mix-and-match like that.)

Never played the original, but probably Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. Apparently filled in a lot of extra story to keep it from being Alm's straightforward slog through the country. Introduced new characters, plenty of voice acting, and a big graphical face lift. Added Mila's Turnwheel to undo turns and Casual mode. Turned dungeons into more active places (automatic combat versus combat on contact).

Appreciates Rune Factory 4 Special. Never played the original for this either. Stuck in another new dungeon (mostly barebones, random dungeon, but a little story). Fixed a story trigger to happen guaranteed. (Needs a specific town event to trigger to unlock the last bit of story. Could take over an in-game year for the game to roll that specific one, assuming you do not savescum it.)

For games in need of a remake/port:
    • Black & White. No, not Pokemon. Plays a deity. Wages war against other deities for supremacy. Recalls some light town management (food for citizens and wood for building). Raises a pet that you can teach and fight with. Becomes good or bad, depending on how you act. Performs miracles with the help of worshippers (like rain for farms...or Fireball: Extreme). Remembers being particularly fond of flinging rocks from long distance and trying to hit enemy buildings.
    • Mother 3 for English speakers.
    • Path of Radiance. Only requests a little work: add a Casual mode, an undo feature, snappier turns, and less ridiculous recruitment requirements (see: Stefan). Admittedly wishes for something extra too. (Lacks the replayability of newer Fire Emblems. Says that, despite beating it multiple times.) Suggests more skill scrolls for sure. Beyond that, perhaps reclassing (like in Fates) and tweaks to balance? Made knives really terrible in this game.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • In general, remakes and remasters aren't usually relevant to me because I play on PC 99% of the time, but I really like how the definitive editions of Age of Empires II and III added so many more civilizations and stuff. I'm also eagerly awaiting Age of Mythology: Retold, which will hopefully be better than the last port that added the half-baked Chinese civilization.

That being said, there's also a huge back catalogue of Microsoft Game Studios PC games from the '00s that never got digital releases and are currently abandonware, that I'd really like to see rereleased on modern stores like Steam and GOG. We're still missing Zoo Tycoon 1 and 2 (both among my favorite games as a kid), Freelancer, Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends, Fable 2 and 3, and a whole bunch of racing games that are probably in licensing limbo because of outdated IP laws.

Years
  • Outside of the Pokemon remakes and some of the classic Final Fantasy remasters I've not actually really had much experience with remakes, now that I think about it. I've mostly had good experiences with those although one of the FF remasters crashed on me constantly so I went and emulated the original one instead. That was V, I think.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Demon's Souls remake has been pretty fun. And while I don't need to get it myself since I still have functioning Gamecube and copy of the game, it's nice to see Paper Mario: TTYD get a remaster for the Switch.

I'd like to see Phantasy Star Online get a remaster/remake. No need to change much really, just having it with modern graphics and online functionality again would be great to me.

Years
  • Spyro the Dragon and Crash Bandicoot trilogies remakes are the best thing that could ever happen in the gaming. I have a hard time deciding if I want to play the originals or the remakes, because they are so well done.

Devalue also mentioned Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, which I have to agree. It's my favourite modern Fire Emblem game.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    The Peace Walker port that was part of the MGS HD Collection was incredible. The game plays so much smoother on a joypad than the PSP.

Years
  • Perhaps it's too old, but for me the switch remaster/remake of The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening was amazing. :love:
    Played it for the first time last year so for me it's still recent =P

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD was also good, and more recent, but compared to Link's Awakening it just pales in comparison. I really liked Skyward Sword HD, but I loved playing Link's Awakening.

Years
  • I'd like to see Phantasy Star Online get a remaster/remake. No need to change much really, just having it with modern graphics and online functionality again would be great to me.

And this is why user Nah is the best user on the forums. I will say that, although you are probably more than aware, Blue Burst is essentially the same game + extra and does have online multiplayer!

But I do really think it would be so great with a remaster/remake. Lots of potential in the environments, the LORE and probably a little tidy up in terms of weapon balance etc. (and heck, change those drop rates!!!!)

In terms of remasters etc. I've liked - Resi 2 and 4 have been REALLY good. Hell, even the 2002 remake of Resi 1 was amazing for a Gamecube-era game. Really ahead of its time visually for sure.

• Woop
    Reactions: Nah
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I just finished my first run of Persona 3 Reload, and honestly after trying to and not being able to get into P3 FES due to some incredibly outdated mechanics, I had so much fun with Reload. I know quite a few people passed it off because of the change to the singers of the game's lyrical songs (Why, I don't know, but some of these songs are done really well and some of the new additions are real bops) but I felt the changes to the game really helped with making the game accessible. And once Episode Aigis comes out in the fall, it will basically be the definitive version of the game to play, although you still need P3P for FeMC if you want to experience that story.

I still feel that two games that need proper remakes would be Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6. Both games would be absolutely stunning to play in an updated engine with full 3D graphics and a remastered soundtrack. Add in full-motion cutscenes, and that would be absolutely incredible.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I will say that, although you are probably more than aware, Blue Burst is essentially the same game + extra and does have online multiplayer!
    I am, it's just that I've never been much of a PC gamer and that's the only platform BB is on =(
    Would be cool if they ported it to a console, but that's probably not happening at this point

But I do really think it would be so great with a remaster/remake. Lots of potential in the environments, the LORE and probably a little tidy up in terms of weapon balance etc. (and heck, change those drop rates!!!!)
    Yeah that's one of the changes I'd like to see in a remake/remaster too. Like, we don't need to have all the good stuff drop every 4th enemy, but holy crap are the drop rates for a lot of stuff absolutely abysmal!

Years
  • Spyro the Dragon and Crash Bandicoot trilogies remakes are the best thing that could ever happen in the gaming. I have a hard time deciding if I want to play the originals or the remakes, because they are so well done.

Devalue also mentioned Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, which I have to agree. It's my favourite modern Fire Emblem game.

Oh true, the Crash remakes were really good actually.

Back