• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

lol is contagious (words you catch yourself saying because of the people around you)

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    What words do you catch yourself saying often that other people around you say?

Be it texting or real life talking

I say lol/lmfao so much I didn't used to say "lol" all that often but because a lot of people around me say lol all the time, it has since been a part of my typing speech all the time now.

Even when I don't find something funny, I often say it without thinking. Kind of like saying it on reflex, I guess. So, I consider that slang word "contagious" since I started it more often after being on the internet for as long as I have.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    A few years back my circle of friends got me into saying, "word". It's used as an affirmative acknowledgement, sorta like saying "k" at the end a sentence, but it could also be said with a drawn out, upwards inflection to indicate support or excitement for something. Idk it's not something I ever heard outside of NJ. Every once in a while, I still catch myself still saying it both online and off.

Example:
    "yo, do you wanna meet at GBs later?"
    "yeah I get off work at 8"
    "word"

Years
    • Seen today
    I sometimes talk like my oldest brother, and it might have formed because of a strange admiration or because he's my most active contact.

Years
    "Poggers" and "I prommy", you can burn me at the stake but you can't erase your knowledge that I do this.

Years
    irl it's:
    "wah"
    "boo"

these sound lame but my husband says these things a lot to be silly and I've adopted it so strongly that I almost find it hard not to say sometimes lol

online I am pretty sure I didn't say "yas" until I saw others say it. Now it is part of everyday e-life. :D

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    I pronounce "no" the way my first (Australian) girlfriend did and quite a lot of people comment on it

Years
    irl it's:
    "wah"
    "boo"

these sound lame but my husband says these things a lot to be silly and I've adopted it so strongly that I almost find it hard not to say sometimes lol

online I am pretty sure I didn't say "yas" until I saw others say it. Now it is part of everyday e-life. :D

YAS QUEEN

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    irl it's:
    "wah"
    "boo"

now i really need to hear marcin saying wah and boo

Years
    When I used to regularly watch twitch streamers for a couple months back in 2020 I would often catch myself saying "poggers" and "kekdubs" irl. Among us still has me saying "sus" every now and then. Dark days.

Back