• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Longest thing you've ever written vs shortest

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    What's the longest thing you've ever written? What's the shortest? You can interpret this question as either chapters or whole story. You can also interpret this question as word count or chapter amount, it's up to you.

Longest thing I've ever written in terms of singular section/chapter word count wise is around 16,017 words. I wrote it yesterday. It was this long because this entire section was about documenting an entire map, so it had to be longer than what is normally written.

Shortest is stuff I wrote when I was a teenager. So, there's no solid answer to the shortest chapter I've ever written. Probably less than 300 words, though. Which is banned from most forums.

I am not including poetry in this. Lengths vary.

As for longest story as a whole. That, I cannot answer. My original work was over 150,000.
    My current fanfiction if you account for all the side stories, interludes and side projects exceeds that word count, but I don't have an exact. Last time I counted everything with side stories added I was at around 170,000 for word count, but I now have to update because I wrote more stuff.

I can't answer shortest, either because I have a lot of things I abandoned. But, I guess the shortest in stuff I got ~over 10 chapters into would be that really bad oc fanfiction I wrote about Professor Birch's daughter, Allison. I have a google document in my google drive of all my terrible fanfictions I wrote as a kid, so maybe I'll just throw that in here at some point.

For longest chapter count, 40 in my bad PMD fanfiction from 10 or so years ago. I usually try to write stories in the frame of it being a "26 episode tv show" So, most of my stuff is usually around that number, but I'm writing side stories for my current fanfiction, which could be considered their own chapters removed from the main story, I guess?

I guess I could say the shortest with stuff that I got past chapter 3 for would probably be that team rocket fanfiction I tried writing when I was in middle school. It made it to ten chapters before I quit.

I guess this is harder for me to answer than I thought.

Bay

Years
    Story length wise the shortest is probably an FMA story that's only 300 words and longest maybe either Nothing, Everything or Foul Play. I don't know the wordcount because the doc with it disappeared and while I posted the whole story here and on Serebii there's no way to figure out the wordcount unless I c/p everything into Word. Foul Play on the other hand is over 157K and still ongoing.

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Longest thing I've written is an ongoing Lucas Baker fanfiction. It's about 80k words, I think, and not finished yet. Probably gonna be about 100k when it's finally done.

I've had several one-shots, usually of fluff and domestic bliss or sick fics or things like that, and they're usually less than 1000 or 1500 words each.

I've also got a few other fics and my original Annie story that have reached around 60k words.

Back