• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mah pictures. Randomness!

Kalala

Gunsou
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2018
    Hey guys!
    I take requests! Just give me a reference :3

I have been inactive, but here is mai artz:

Spoiler:

Please request!
    And tell me how to improve!

Last edited:

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    For one thing, I notice that you're using a 'Bucket Fill' method with an advanced image editor (eg. The GIMP, Photoshop, Corel, or anything not MS Paint.) to paint correct? I can see the effect created by this method by the whitish lines in between the outline of your character and the colour within. Well, there's the first thing you need to improve on. Instead of using just the 'Bucket Fill' tool, I suggest you use the 'select' tool, then, on whatever software you're using, increase the size of the selection by one px. This usually gets rid of the unwanted whitish parts, but it also has the nasty habit of mucking up your outline.

Besides that, from the way you paint your horizon, I can guess that you might at least be using GIMP. I could be dead wrong, but I'm assuming that for now. For one thing, you've painted the sky 'blue' with the paintbrush tool with 100% hardness, giving rise to those jagged edges over the horizon. I suggest using a softer brush or at least the airbrush tool to fix that.

Now, onto the lineart, I think that you're using a stroke path method or something along those lines (no pun intended). Otherwise, I'm not really sure how you got that jagged effect. well, if you are using paths, you should realise that you can 'curve' the paths right? As in it doesn't always have to be jagged edges.

Apart from the basics which I've covered, you might also want to work on shading too. I won't go too deep into that now, but at least try to add a shadow or something for next time. And that's shading in a nutshell. I'll elaborate further if you want.

Kalala

Gunsou
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2018
    Half the stuff there are supposed to be like it XD
    The jagged lines are supposed to be like it.
    The backround is.
    The shading, im not really good at at gimp, so thats not supposed to be like it D:
    and the white ;ine is unintended, but i use the brush tool. ill try the increase 1 pxl thing.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    Well, I mostly commented on the method of producing the piece; not the piece itself. I'm fully aware that jagged lines are a legitimate art style, and I was just offering some advice since you seemed like a novice at GIMP. As for your background, I didn't really comment on your choice of background per-say, but I was, again, referring to the method which you used. On the subject of shading, I don't really see any of that, so you might want to work on it.

So there.

tnguye3

Very, very, very lazy spriter.
    Years
    A fast way to get rid of the white lines is to raise the Tolerance of the color you're gonna fill with or continiously click the "Bucket Fill" until the white lines are gone.

Anyways the art looks unique, and I definitely prefer this style than the old one. One thing that bothers me is the triangle below the eye, I'm assuming it's the mouth, but it could also be a pattern design. Since it's facing sideways you could place a small mouth at the front, otherwise maybe change the positioning of the triangle.

Other than that it's a good piece of art. :)

I don't know if I should comment on the background, since it looks like you just did a quickie and it doesn't match the figure you drew.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    *shrugs* All I'm sayin' is there could be better art.
    All I'm sayin' is that you could've done a better critique. *shrugs* But whatever, I'm not here to judge you.

Comparing those two pictures is futile, really, because they're completely different stylistic choices. In the 'old' pic, you've got a thin, generic lineart which you then colour in. In the 'new' pic, you're using the thick, jagged lines. So no, based on stylistic choice, I can't claim that either one is relatively better than the other. On the other hand, based on shading, I'd say that the old pic was better. I'm guessing you used MS Paint for the lineart and GIMP for the colouring and or shading? You can't get shading a smooth as that in MS Paint, that's for sure. Back to the main point, yes, your shading is better in the old pic. In retrospect, I guess shading in the new pic wouldn't fit well with the blocky colouring and jagged lines. I was a bit put off by the white lines.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
    I like it. It's cute and simplistic to me. Maybe you can try to blend colors (In the sky) next time.

Back