• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] My upscaled sprites

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 7, 2023
Hey all, new to the forum but I wanted to share my sprites with you all, mostly to get some feedback on what to improve but also in case this is something anyone here might be interested in. I made these in my iPad Pro on an app called Pixaki. It's a good app but could use some minor tweaks to be perfect for my workflow but I'm just happy as it was the only proper app I could find for the iPad specifically made for pixel art.

As you may notice I not only settle for upscaling the sprites (remaking sprites in 2x size) but I also tweak the designs ever so slightly (or sometimes quite a lot). For example for the Bulbasaur sprites I tried to make them just a little more frog-like, which I think is most apparent in the Ivysaur one. Likewise in my Charmeleon sprite (current WIP) I'm working on making it more raptor-like. There's no real reason for that but I just didn't necessarily wanna make carbon copies of the original designs even though I stick somewhat closely to them.

What I mostly am hoping for feedback on is my shading and anti-aliasing. I've struggled a bit with the shading because the original sprites some have shading that just makes no sense to me but I'm not a shading expert so if there's any tips on that I'd be happy to hear it. Same with anti-aliasing: I've watched lots of videos but I'm still not quite sure where to use it and where not to. If there's anything else worth mentioning I'm also happy to hear that, I'm still a beginner so I'm fully expecting there to be lots of things to improve on.

Anyway, here's the designs I've made so far. I started on Bulbasaur but as it was a bit tough as a first design I then did Voltorb & Oddish as they're more basic shapes. After that I wanted to go back to numerical order - which I'm doing right now. I would love to make a lot more and I get really into zen mode when doing these so it's a fun challenge but there's really no purpose to them other than just doing them for fun.

Bulbasaur

ZwTQITs.png
bwGzucv.png

Ivysaur

Udf5DyA.png
BM9nO3G.png

Venusaur

cWTPeVr.png
0M1HbZq.png

Charmander

UUL9Vk2.png
gfNsA6u.png

Oddish

zykHKBu.png
dZZwXgw.png

Voltorb

c2S3bVH.png
2lxDFUA.png

Years
  • Age 22
  • Cuba
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
Welcome to the forum! Your sprites look promising so I'll give you my feedback. I hope you can understand everything because English it's not my first language.

Part 1: The shapes
Spoiler:

Part 2: The shading

Spoiler:

Well, that ends my feedback. Sorry for the long text 😅. Remember to always look to official sprites as reference when working on your own and keep practicing. 👍

Back