• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

TV Needed another season!

Years
  • Any tv shows that you think came to a premature end?

I think HBO had some series that really pushed the envelope in the early to mid 2000s for instance like Carnivale, Rome and Deadwood that were off to a great start and had a lot of untapped potential to explore in future seasons, but alas, it was not to be.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Deadwood definitely comes to mind, I think the film did a good job of wrapping things up but more time with those characters in their primes couldn't have been a bad thing, could it?

A recent favourite of mine, The Expanse, ended after 6 series (and one revival) but still had at least 3 books that could be adapted, although from what I've been told there is a time jump so they finished at the most satisfying point they could. Still, a lot of us think if it weren't for covid making working in necessarily confined sets (none of that Empire "massive chasms everywhere" spaceship architecture!" super expensive it might have ran and ran. Oh, also it's widely considered one of the best sci-fi shows of its era and many would say ever!

pkmin3033

Stargate Atlantis. They should have taken the two seasons that SG-1 did not need to given them to that show instead, because it ended in the most unsatisfying place imaginable. Angel really could have done with another season as well, rather than a comic continuation.

I'm in two minds about the Babylon 5 spinoff, Crusade. On the one hand, I don't think one more season would have been enough for it to have a satisfying conclusion as it is, but maybe they could have done something with a full order rather than just half of one. On the other hand, we already knew how it ended before it even began, so why did it even exist in the first place?

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Two shows off the top of my head: Almost Human and The Halcyon. Both shows had so much going on for them, but they got screwed by their networks to the point it would be impossible from the get-go to secure them a second season.

I'm still especially pissed about the first one because I liked both leads. ;_;

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    It didn't necessarily need it, but I feel like Brooklyn Nine-Nine could have got to double-figures if it weren't for the horrifying real-life events that understandably made everyone a bit queasy about their cop comedy.

I would happily watch more Pacific Rim: The Black, Netflix did so little promo I can't tell if it was cancelled or 1 season was always the plan, but given some unearned beats in the back half I'm guessing it was cancelled. That was really good, a far better addition to the world than the film sequel (which nevertheless actually sets it up).

Three that were cancelled but given wrap-up films that I would happily have watched more of were Wu Assassins, Sense8, and Timeless. The former got lost in the Netflix churn - a martial arts tv series with Iko Uwais, Lewis Tan (a fan-cast Iron Fist), and Lagertha from Vikings should have got more attention - but was actually pretty good. The film is...there. Action is solid (but vfx undercuts a one-take fight scene), plot barely-there, and the director appeared to soundtrack it himself but was still a fun 90 minutes. Sense8 was very ambitious and likely expensive, if it had gone 3 seasons Netflix would probably have ran out of money. One of these shows that seems to have a bit of every genre mashed up into it, and - although I haven't seen it - a far better use of Wachowskis than revisiting The Matrix.

Timeless meanwhile...well it was the previous project of The Boys' showrunners so you know its good! At times a procedural (so American Doctor Who?) where Peep Show's Johnson used money from the illuminati to build a time machine, they kept the conspiracy thinly-sketched enough that the wrap-up didn't feel too rushed. 3 great leads too.

I'll stop this accidental essay by finally saying Altered Carbon was also done dirty by Netflix, behind the obvious cyberpunk aesthetic was a well-realised world with great performances by the 3 playing the lead (the lead actor changes each season - Joel Kinnaman in the first, Anthony Mackie! in the second, with Will Yun Lee in flashbacks) that could have ran and ran, switching up settings within its world and lead actors each season.

Years
  • Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.

It got cancelled so they had to rush an ending which really wasn't ideal. They could easily have made several more seasons tbh.

Years
    • Age 20
    • He/they
    • Ohio
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Mao Mao: Heroes of Pure Heart was a great show that got a really horrible deal from Cartoon Network.

It was renewed for a second season about a week ahead of its finale, which would have been great... that is, if it actually came to happen. Instead, neither CN nor the show's crew have said anything about it since. They took it off the network's schedule a while back. Then, a few days ago, Warner Bros. Discovery took it off of HBO Max and made CN delete every mention of it from their website, their Twitter, and their YouTube.

Not only did it not get the second season we wanted, it was disowned completely.

Back