• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga PC Anime & Manga Awards 2021

Years

PokeCommunity Anime & Manga Awards 2021

With the year drawing to a close, it's time to shine a spotlight on the anime and manga series you've enjoyed the most this year. Below is a list of categories for both manga and anime. The way this works is simple enough, just copy the template and then fill it in to show us the series you have watched/read this year that you feel like deserves that title.

Unlike traditional awards though, there's a couple of differences. The biggest difference is that the series you list does not have to have been released in 2021, this just has to be the first year that you first enjoyed it. The second is that you don't need to give an answer for every category. Just fill in the template where it's relevant for you!

Have fun!

Anime

Best Action Show:
    Best Comedy Show:
    Best Romance Show:
    Best Drama Show:
    Best Thriller/Horror Show:

Best Animation:
    Best VA performance (subbed):
    Best VA performance (dubbed):
    Best Soundtrack:
    Most Faithful Adaptation:
    Most Surprisingly Good:

Best TV/Web Series:
    Best Movie:
    Best Overall:

Manga

Best Action Series:
    Best Comedy Series:
    Best Romance Series:
    Best Drama Series:
    Best Thriller/Horror Series:

Most Surprisingly Good:
    Best Single Volume:
    Best Art:

Best Overall:

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
    Here is just an overall list of mine/Anime of the Year 2021 basically. Keep in mind I go by what animes I watched in a year so when they actually aired doesn't matter in the slightest.

Mega's Anime of Year 2021​

First... some Special Awards for some anime I watched this year that deserve recognition in some form or another.

Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle wins Funniest Anime of the Year
    Ranking of Kings wins Best Ongoing Simuldub
    Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song wins Simuldub of the Year
    Eden's Zero wins Best Netflix Anime and Best Ongoing Anime

Now for my actual list... a top 3 with an Overall Special Mention. I provide MAL links to them if you wish to check them out for yourself and decide for yourself if you wish to watch them or not.

Overall Special Mention: Death Parade (https://myanimelist.net/anime/28223/Death_Parade). Boy... this anime was... unique. Even putting it that way is a very underwhelming explanation or description. But it was really good. It really was. It makes you question morals and stuff like that. Well... the morals of choosing who gets reincarnated and who gets sent to the void I guess and if these 'Death Angels' basically even have the right to decide that. The games to reveal the visitors true selves were really interesting at times and there were some pretty shocking twists and moments at other times. I enjoyed each and every episode though and it was just an overall great experience and just a great anime in general. You don't get a lot of 'original' animes that are good but this is definitely one of them. Do I recommended it? Yes. Yes I do.

#3. Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song (https://myanimelist.net/anime/46095/Vivy__Fluorite_Eyes_Song). This was probably the best simuldub I watched all year. Hands down. So not only does it get a special award... it's gets a placement in my final list. This anime is just lucky that Ranking of Kings is still ongoing I suppose lol. Regardless I don't consider myself a sci-fi fan... but this anime was just so good that it didn't even matter if I was a sci-fi fan or not. Each episode just got better and better and a character (android) that's just suppose to make people enjoy themselves, have a good time, and smile by singing ends up becoming a fighting badass to stop an android rebellion/rampage/murder spree. It's just really good. It really is. It's hard to really give this anime justice. It's best experienced by just watching it yourself honestly. I can't really do this anime justice as much as I honestly want to. Because I'm not good at that sort of thing that's why. But trust me... it's a really good sci-fi anime and just a really good anime in general. Do I recommend it? Like I said before... Yes. You really should watch this one.

Anime of the Year 2021 Runner-Up (#2). Fairy Tail (https://myanimelist.net/anime/6702/Fairy_Tail ;https://myanimelist.net/anime/22043/Fairy_Tail_2014 and https://myanimelist.net/anime/35972/Fairy_Tail__Final_Series) I'm going to get some rage for this lol. But I honestly don't care. This anime was just WAY to good to not be in my final list this year. I mean yes, technically I started watching it last year but I didn't actually finish it until this year. So it still counts. I fail to understand why it took me so long to actually watch this gem. I really do. It makes me wish I had started watching it sooner honestly lol. Each and every arc is better than the last or it, at minimum, improves more and more. The best arcs are definitely the Grand Magic Games arc, the Tartarus arc and pretty much the entirety of Final Season. It's a long series obviously. So it takes commitment to watch all of it and there are filler episodes so be forewarned and aware of that. But I didn't mind most of the filler honestly. The only 'meh' part is probably Eclipse Celestial Spirit Arc and that's technically a filler arc. I'm not going to hold a filler arc against this anime. Because everything else in it and about it was too good to do something scummy like that (despite the fact that I'm sure others would). I just loved this anime SO MUCH and just enjoyed EVERY SINGLE MOMENT in it that I just couldn't live with myself if I kept it off my final list. So I didn't. It would have outright won too. If not... for... one thing. Regardless... it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Try it out for yourself and decide for yourself. That's what I did. Look what the result is. Do I recommend it? OF COURSE I DO.

Anime of the Year 2021 (#1)

https://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/...P9527K*MTY0MDgxNDE3My4xLjEuMTY0MDgxNDM1MC42MA..

Attack on Titan: The Final Season (Part 1) (https://myanimelist.net/anime/40028/Shingeki_no_Kyojin__The_Final_Season)

Wow. Where do I even begin with this GOD DAMN AMAZING ANIME. Normally I try to avoid giving awards to a different 'season' for an anime that's been going on for awhile now technically. Clearly doing that was wrong. Also... THERE WASN'T A SINGLE ANIME THAT CAME CLOSE TO HOW AMAZING THIS ONE WAS. I originally watched this anime near the beginning of the year on Toonami. Yeah. The beginning of the year. You would think I'd be able to find something that could have knocked it out. lolnope. Every episode is OUTSTANDING AND AMAZING and keeps you wanting more and wanting to watch the next episode IMMEDIATELY. The story, although confusing for me at first, is still really damn good but also really damn confusing but I can't hate it for that because it JUST MAKES ME WANT MORE SO I CAN UNDERSTAND WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON ALREADY AND WHY ALL THIS IS EVEN HAPPENING. lol. Why is Eren a jerkass now all of a sudden anyway? WHO KNOWS. GUESS WE WAIT FOR PART 2 FOR THAT ANSWER. But yeah... this anime was just too good, too amazing and just kept me watching and wanting more. So there was really no choice here. Trust me. I TRIED. I REALLY DID. I TRIED SO HARD TO FIND SOMETHING TO BEAT IT. But... it just didn't happen. Unfortunate. But I'd say... well deserved. I honestly can't wait for Part 2 which should air on Toonami sometime next month english dubbed. Will this happen again with Part 2? I... don't know honestly. Let's hope not. But... I'm not ruling out that possibility either lol. Do I recommend it? You already know the answer to this. YES. GO WATCH IT RIGHT NOW. But you'll need to watch the other seasons first to understand what's going on obviously lol.

So... there you go. If you don't like my personal list... then put out your own personal list lol.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    Had to take some time to consider whether I'd limit this to just what was released this year or open it up to what I've watched/read through the year as a whole. In the end, decided to open it up everything I've watched just to make it a little easier on myself.

Best Action Show: Jobless Reincarnation
    Best Comedy Show: Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san
    Best Romance Show: Fruits Basket
    Best Drama Show: Beastars S2
    Best Thriller/Horror Show: Made in Abyss

Best Animation: Jujutsu Kaisen
    Most Surprisingly Good: Sonny Boy - I had no real expectations going into this show other than the art style looked interesting. It's definitely a show that I'll need to give a second watch through at some point because there's a lot going on.

Best Movie: Gotta give it up to Demon Slayer: Mugen Train. I don't remember if I actually watched any other anime movies this year or not, but even if I did it'd take a lot to overcome this bad boy.

Honorable Mentions: This year had a lot of decent shows, and a lot of stuff I unfortunately just didn't end up having time to get through with everything else going on. For honorable mentions, I'll only touch on series that aired in 2021 that I recommend (aside from award winners previously named, of course).

- Horimiya (just an overall cute show. short and sweet, and doesn't overstay its welcome while touching up on as much as it can with the cast as a whole)
    - Vanitas no Karte (I enjoyed it well enough that I've been expecting the second season which is set to drop soon. I'm not entirely sold yet on the series as a whole, but it has a lot of things going for it that have kept me invested)
    - The Faraway Paladin (not a fantastic show at the moment, but for an isekai that only really acknowledges its an isekai in the first couple of episodes and then ignores it... it's enjoyable for a medieval fantasy setting)
    - Megalobox (Nomad aired earlier this year and took the best parts of the first half of Season 1 and played them up even stronger)

Best Overall: Gonna have to give this one to Jujutsu Kaisen. Just an overall beautiful show with some of my favorite characters from not just the season, but the year. Also, the movie is coming to us at some point along with the promise of a S2. MAPPA has really just been outdoing themselves this past year.

Manga(manhwa)

Best Overall: Solo Leveling

Unfortunately, I have been slacking in the manga department this past year 😅 I have been keeping up with several manhwa and other webseries on webtoon, as well as re-reading bleach and naruto more recently and finally getting into a couple of other series this past week during holiday. However, I feel like even if I had ended up getting deeper into something or if I'd spent some more coins on getting further ahead into The Boxer, Omniscient Reader, or Tower of God... Solo Leveling still would have came out on top. I picked the series up sometime in late 2020 and kept up with it all the way until its finale just recently and have thoroughly enjoyed the several dozen hours I've poured into checking for updates and reading to catch up lmao.

Years

Anime

Best Action Show: Re: Zero (s2)
    Best Comedy Show: Horimiya
    Best Romance Show: Horimiya
    Best Drama Show: Vinland Saga
    Best Thriller/Horror Show: Higurashi Gou (Hey, this one actually came out in 2021!)

Best Animation: Demon Slayer
    Best Soundtrack: Ancient Magus Bride
    Most Surprisingly Good: Little Witch Academia

Best TV/Web Series: Higurashi (Gou/Sotsu)
    Best Movie: I Want to Eat Your Pancreas
    Best Overall: Higurashi again.

Manga

Best Action Series: I didn't read any action manga. If we're counting manhwa though, Eleceed.
    Best Comedy Series: Kubo Won't Let Me Be Invisible
    Best Romance Series: Kubo Won't Let Me Be Invisible
    Best Drama Series: 7 Seeds (The oldest thing on here)

Most Surprisingly Good: Kubo again

Best Overall: 7 Seeds

Years
    Anime:

Best Action Show: Cardcaptor Sakura
    Best Comedy Show: Haikyuu
    Best Romance Show: Nagi no asu kara (A Lull in the Sea)
    Best Drama Show: A Place Further Than the Universe
    Best Thriller/Horror Show: Attack on Titan

Best Animation: A Place Further Than the Universe
    Best VA performance (subbed): Yumiri Hanamori - Ryuji Ayukawa (Blue Period)
    Best VA performance (dubbed): Bryce Papenbrook - Eren Jaeger (Attack On Titan)
    Best Soundtrack: Nagi no Asu kara (A Lull in the Sea)
    Most Faithful Adaptation: Blue Period
    Most Surprisingly Good: Toradora

Best TV/Web Series: Science Fell In Love, So I Tried to Prove It
    Best Movie: Howl's Moving Castle
    Best Overall: Nagi no Asu kara (A Lull in the Sea)

Manga

Best Comedy Series: Kuroko no Basket
    Best Romance Series: High School Juliet
    Best Drama Series: Blue Period

Most Surprisingly Good: Blue Period
    Best Single Volume: Kuroko no Basket volume 2
    Best Art: Blue Period

Best Overall:
    Blue Period

Last edited:
    Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I tried my best. I left a lot blank because I haven't watched/read enough this year to have an answer :D

Anime
    Best Action Show: Yona of the Dawn
    Best Comedy Show: The Disastrous Life of Saiki K
    Best Romance Show: Toradora
    Best Drama Show: Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day

Most surprisingly good: SK8 the Infinity

Best Movie: Princess Mononoke

Manga
    Best Action Series: Yu Yu Hakusho
    Best Drama Series: A Silent Voice

Back