• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon Modern Emerald (Complete, 2.3.1 Released! Following Pokémon, Modern Battle Frontier, and more!)

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2023
    Hey, thanks for the game, I've enjoyed it a lot. I'm kind of struggling to get Regidrago though. How do I open the door? I got the other four, but I don't get this riddle.
    Spoiler:

Days
    • he/they
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    I just started this today and I love it so far. I especially love the Nuzlocke options making it so much easier to accomplish without having to use a manual tracker. I adore the Follower Pokémon feature.

I sort of wish there was a way to select a Pokémon who isn't the leader as your follower like BDSP when I'm leveling a Pokémon but still wanna see my starter, but it's no dealbreaker and the perfect touch.

Honestly, GF should take notes.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    After having finished a few runs lately, I felt like doing a run with type effectiveness randomized. In the randomizer option, I selected for type effectiveness to be random. But as I was playing the game, I didn't notice any changes in the type chart. Am I doing something wrong here, or does type effectiveness randomization just not work?

I just fixed it, will be available next update.

Hey, thanks for the game, I've enjoyed it a lot. I'm kind of struggling to get Regidrago though. How do I open the door? I got the other four, but I don't get this riddle.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I just started this today and I love it so far. I especially love the Nuzlocke options making it so much easier to accomplish without having to use a manual tracker. I adore the Follower Pokémon feature.

I sort of wish there was a way to select a Pokémon who isn't the leader as your follower like BDSP when I'm leveling a Pokémon but still wanna see my starter, but it's no dealbreaker and the perfect touch.

Honestly, GF should take notes.

Thanks! I'm glad you like it!

I also want to share what I'm working on. Tbh I'm not really doing much, but there's something I've been meaning to do for some time and I finally did it: custom shinies.

Don't you hate how many shinies look? Well, I decided to change some of them. I divided them into 2 categories:

- Contrast update: The colour gets updated with more contrast, but it stays the same. Helps the colour to pop-up more in comparison to their non-shiny version. It includes Marowak, Chinchou, Elekid, Farfectch'd, Lanturn, Lapras, Tentacool, Tentacruel and Zapdos.
    - Better and custom Shiny: Those Pokémon with "bad shinies" get upgraded to newer, better colours, completely custom: Blaziken, Scyther, Flareon, Haunter, Gengar, Heracross, Jolteon, Vaporeon, Pichu, Pikachu, Raichu, Regice, Xatu,

Spoiler:

These palette changes will apply to the follower as well. And, if you already caught a shiny Pokémon that has been updated, the new palette will be used instead. So you won't need to catch again the shinies.

Next update will also include other changes, but they are work in progress.

Hope you like it!

N.P

| Alone In The Trust |
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    Is there any chance to make a star in the shiny mon's summary? The original R/S/E somehow don't have any icon for them. I think this is also something "modern" for this game.

Days
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    Just curious Resetes, I'm wondering whether there's something wrong about the munchlax spawn on route 102? I found a shiny ralts, several mime jr and a couple of surskits and I still haven't encountered a munchlax, and I have been searching in the night.

And I did restart my save earlier, been playing on hard without having to change so far, but I found lots of lucky eggs in the safari zone so now it's almost getting easier.

Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2024
    I think Hard mode should not have reduced EXP gain, you get underleveled really easily. I have to change to Easy just to level up to the gym level and then change again. Totally unnecesary.
    Besides that, this is seriously a fantastic hack.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Just curious Resetes, I'm wondering whether there's something wrong about the munchlax spawn on route 102? I found a shiny ralts, several mime jr and a couple of surskits and I still haven't encountered a munchlax, and I have been searching in the night.

And I did restart my save earlier, been playing on hard without having to change so far, but I found lots of lucky eggs in the safari zone so now it's almost getting easier.

Hey, my documentation was (again) wrong. Munchlax spawns in Route 102 during the day. Sorry about that, already changed it. You know, making documentation is hard.

I think Hard mode should not have reduced EXP gain, you get underleveled really easily. I have to change to Easy just to level up to the gym level and then change again. Totally unnecesary.
    Besides that, this is seriously a fantastic hack.

I know, it's just a cheap way to make Hard more difficult. There's no way of making a difficult rom-hack without changing the trainer's teams, and since I didn't want to do that, I decided to make it this way. Also, even if you are under-levelled, there are a million ways to complete the game: changing your team, using certain items, using both EXP. Shares to your liking, Lucky Eggs, etc. That's the idea behind this particular Hard mode, and I know that it might not be for everyone but this isn't a difficulty rom-hack in the first place.

PerceptioN95

ポケモントレーナ とみい
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    How do I evolve porygon into porygon2? Is it still with the upgrade? Also where can I find the upgrade?

Days
    • Seen Sep 5, 2023
    Hey resetes, just wanted to say that I think this is an absolutely magic romhack. Emerald is my favorite pokemon of all time, and your mode has made for the most comfortable pokemon playing experience I could've ever imagined. Thank you so much for your hard work :)

I only wish that I had known Hard Mode decreased experience before I picked it. Is there any way to revert the difficulty, or enable the EXP boost after starting the game?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2023
    So IDK why but debug mode isnt activating on my steamdeck with the recent version. pressing and holding Select and then pressing Start while in options.

Also when I spoke to the guy just after petalburg woods (next to the building you get the wailmer pail) who gives bullet seed, i got the notification of getting the TM but when checking my bag its not in there. Just went a little further to talk to the guy who gives cut. Cut also doesnt show up in my bag either.

for a bit more info. using EmuDeck im using the Retroarch emulator.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    So IDK why but debug mode isnt activating on my steamdeck with the recent version. pressing and holding Select and then pressing Start while in options.

Also when I spoke to the guy just after petalburg woods (next to the building you get the wailmer pail) who gives bullet seed, i got the notification of getting the TM but when checking my bag its not in there. Just went a little further to talk to the guy who gives cut. Cut also doesnt show up in my bag either.

for a bit more info. using EmuDeck im using the Retroarch emulator.

Hey, I would say that these problems are caused by your emulator. I don't really know, but it seems likely. First of all, try using mGBA. I don't support the use of other emulators as they, from what I know, don't work correctly with decompilation hack-roms.

what gen moveset does this game follow?

Custom.

Hey resetes, just wanted to say that I think this is an absolutely magic romhack. Emerald is my favorite pokemon of all time, and your mode has made for the most comfortable pokemon playing experience I could've ever imagined. Thank you so much for your hard work :)

I only wish that I had known Hard Mode decreased experience before I picked it. Is there any way to revert the difficulty, or enable the EXP boost after starting the game?

Just change the difficulty back to normal, or use Exp. Share, lucky eggs (dropped by Happiny, Chansey and Pelipper).

How do I evolve porygon into porygon2? Is it still with the upgrade? Also where can I find the upgrade?

You have all new evolutions in the main post, but Porygon uses its original method: trade. Use the Lilycove self-trader.
    Wild Porygon can hold the Upgrade, and you can also get it in the BattleFrontier exchange corner.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2023
    hmm weird. i thought Retroarch-mGBA would work just like mGBA but apparently not. its basically completely different so idk why it even uses the name. anyway i looked up how to get the standalong mGBA and it does seem to be working now.

may be a good thing to point out in the FAQ for steamdeck users. default emulator it comes will will not play nice with this romhack.

Days
    • Seen Aug 12, 2023
    Heya, new here, just wanted to ask if the starters are able to be captured in the wild? If so, is there a spawn guide?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Trick Room is unavailable in this game, right?

No Trick Room.

Heya, new here, just wanted to ask if the starters are able to be captured in the wild? If so, is there a spawn guide?

There's a documentation link in the main post.

Anyway, I released 1.4. It's not a big update but includes a few new things: mostly the new shinies and a new option to play with (Perma Faint). Full changelog:

• New Shiny forms for certain Pokémon.
    • All items are now obtainable via Pokémon drops. Refer to the documentation.
    • NEW Perma Faint option available from the Challenges Menu at the start of a new game. This feature makes your Pokémon unusable after it has fainted like in a Nuzlock, but without the Nuzlocke rules. Use with caution, as if you get to zero team members it could mean the end of your run.
    • Random Type Effectiveness now works as it should.
    • The game will beep 5 times when your Pokémon gets to low health, and then it will stop.
    • Opponents have an updated Pokeball throwing animation with sound.
    • Castform can now be caught in Route 119, and Chingling in Mt. Pyre exterior in both vanilla and modern spawns.

Please report all bugs as usual.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    how does egg moves work in this game? what gen mechanics is the breeding/daycare in this game?

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2023
    Have you thought about adding Toxic Orb and Flame Orb? I was super excited to try a guts+facade strat with hariyama, then realized those self inflicted status dont exist until next gen.

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Pokémon Modern Emerald (Complete, 2.3.1 Released! Following Pokémon, Modern Battle Frontier, and more!)

hey the sealed chamber quest doesn't work lmao. Have a wailord in the front and relicanth in the back. I use dig in the sealed chamber and it just sends me back underwater

🔍WHAT IS THIS HACK? (Updated to 1.3.4)

To put it simply, "Pokémon Modern Emerald" is a modernization of the original "Pokémon Emerald" game. This game offers all the QOL features and improvements that I've wanted since I got my hands on the original game in 2005. Think of this as a 2.0 update for the original game. This game is not a "difficulty hack-rom", and never will be. If you want a super difficult version of Pokémon Emerald there are already a lot of good hack-roms available. The idea behind this game is to play it instead of the original "Pokémon Emerald", especially for those who want a vanilla experience with more features: simple difficulty modes, move splits, QOL features, new Pokémon, new areas, new rematches, and a large etc.

This hack is a "3rd generation hack", meaning that it doesn't try to mimic later generations and, although certain features and improvements from later generations are included, this hack is a 3rd generation game at its core. Don't expect all the new moves from later generations, or being able to catch 900 different Pokémon. This hack does not include the "Battle Engine Upgrade" or anything similar, but it does include certain mechanics from it (like the OPTIONAL Physical / Special split that happened in Gen. IV, or the Fairy Type).

There's a total of 423 Pokémon, including 2 from Generation 8 and 3 from Generation 9. There are two modes that can be selected from the Challenges screen at the start of the game. If you don't touch anything, spawns will be just like the original Emerald without the version exclusives. If you enable "Modern Spawns", all 423 will be obtainable. The game also includes Day/Night spawns for both modes (although without Modern Spawns the change is minimal and it's mostly a rate change for certain species). There are also a ton of different options that can be selected at the start of the game to personalise your experience.

Pokémon Modern Emerald (Complete, 2.3.1 Released! Following Pokémon, Modern Battle Frontier, and more!)

There are also WONDER-TRADES, which can help you complete your national Pokédex (All Pokémon are available for Wonder-Trade except legendaries, and you are limited to 3 Wonder-Trades every day).

The code is available on Github, and you can report bugs over there or in this thread. The game works on any good emulator (tested on: mGBA on PC / Switch) and on real hardware (tested on: EZ Flash Omega (BUT YOU HAVE TO SELECT FLASH TYPE 128KB MANUALLY), Everdrive Mini). Some emulators can cause crashes (OpenEMU, MyBoy, VBA) probably because they are too old or they are missing features other good emulators have.

This is my "dream emerald" version, let's say, but now even better!

✨FEATURES
    There are a lot of things!

Spoiler:

You can have a look at more changes under the hood in this document. It's my personal document, so it might be a bit messy.

🕶️EXTRA INFORMATION (SPOILERS)

Evolution changes and improvements:

Spoiler:

New wild Pokémon available for every mode (Alternate Spawns and Default spawns):
    Spoiler:

New static encounters:
    Spoiler:

📸SCREENSHOTS

Spoiler:

🔧FAQ

Spoiler:

🐛KNOWN BUGS

PLEASE DON'T REPORT BUGS IF YOU ARE NOT USING MGBA EMULATOR OR REAL HARDWARE. Decompilation hack-roms may crash or have strange bugs if you are using other emulators. To report a bug first use mGBA or real hardware, then DM me or comment here.
    • When not using Modern Spawns, certain Pokémon (especially from Gen 2) will show that they are available in a location they are not. Remember that if you are not playing with Modern Spawns set to on, wild encounters are (99.9%) from Emerald.

📒CHANGELOG

Spoiler:

🆙INSTALLATION AND DOWNLOADS

Download the attachment
    You need the ROM: Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe). sha1: f3ae088181bf583e55daf962a92bb46f4f1d07b7
    Patch using flips.

You can check all the game code in my Github. My code can be messy and probably bad, especially the names of my commits. Sorry in advance.

🎞️CREDITS

I think it's easier to say that all my edits came from Pret's pokeemerald wiki. If you want to appear in this section, just message me and I will edit the post.

You can use this game as a base for your rom-hack, if you so desire.
    You can use any code from the Github repository, if you really want to.
    No need to credit me, just have fun.

Back