• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Approved] Pokémon Trivia

Years
    I was thinking of doing something very similar to VG Trivia - alternating between trivia and music rounds.

I know this might clash with your other event qwerty, so will need to think about that.

I also want to use this event as a segue into bringing back the Who's That Pokémon (or whatever the name was) event, where we guessed Pokémon based on the Dream World image, because I miss that event!

Points-wise - will probably go for the same as the others, so 150 for 1st and 100 for 2nd.

Achievements - WIP.

Years
    • Seen today
    How are you feeling about the difficulty of questions? I think we can go a bit harder given this is a Pokémon website so it can be assumed that everyone has some base level of knowledge (even about some "obscure" facts)?

I think one thing Smogon used to do on their Puzzle Pages was to have a /dexsearch quiz, where they would give you the results and you'd have to figure out the parameters of the /dexsearch command on Showdown. Actually typing this out I realize how hard this would be to design (you have to design the puzzle such that it's hard to get the parameters at a glance).

For Who's That Pokémon, are you thinking of having it just being zoomed in again? In think before, people were allowed to search through the images - what is the stance on that (I personally don't have a problem with checking).

For music, I don't completely mind if it clashes a lot given that I have no control over what music is selected. Plus the other event is meant to be more casual in nature and won't give a lot of points compared to the more competitive events. I think we can do some things for this PokéVGM Trivia where music is sped up/augmented/reversed or something, given that people may be more familiar with the music? Just some ideas. I don't think I'd be able to do well if this were a thing, but Pokémon Cries could also be an audio quiz idea.

Years
    How are you feeling about the difficulty of questions? I think we can go a bit harder given this is a Pokémon website so it can be assumed that everyone has some base level of knowledge (even about some "obscure" facts)?

I think one thing Smogon used to do on their Puzzle Pages was to have a /dexsearch quiz, where they would give you the results and you'd have to figure out the parameters of the /dexsearch command on Showdown. Actually typing this out I realize how hard this would be to design (you have to design the puzzle such that it's hard to get the parameters at a glance).

For Who's That Pokémon, are you thinking of having it just being zoomed in again? In think before, people were allowed to search through the images - what is the stance on that (I personally don't have a problem with checking).

For music, I don't completely mind if it clashes a lot given that I have no control over what music is selected. Plus the other event is meant to be more casual in nature and won't give a lot of points compared to the more competitive events. I think we can do some things for this PokéVGM Trivia where music is sped up/augmented/reversed or something, given that people may be more familiar with the music? Just some ideas. I don't think I'd be able to do well if this were a thing, but Pokémon Cries could also be an audio quiz idea.

Considering the community, I am happy to go balls to the wall hard with it. Granted I don't want it to become so hard that people just give up, but I agree that we can definitely push it further than most other trivia events.

I think we could probably craft something based on dex entries and the such, I know there's a 'Wordle' variant for Pokémon that we could use. It uses things like colour, height, weight, etc. as parameters to determine what Pokemon it is.

Who's that Pokémon - I don't intend to really change how it ran because I think that was fine as it was. Yes it was just the Dream World art zoomed in and people were allowed to search. Although as this is part of a bigger event, I may look to do say a collection of images for the who's that pokemon rounds, say 20 or so for each one.

That's true! I just wanted to get your take on it before going ahead. I think we could look to add to the difficulty yeah by changing speeds etc. Good shout on the Pokémon Cries, let's put that in as a round as well.

So to just list what we're looking to include right now:

• Who's That Pokémon - same as usual, people can search through zoomed-in Dream World art
    • Pokémon VGM - potentially speed up etc. the music for added difficulty
    • Pokémon Cries guessing round
    • Something involving dex entries - look at Pokémon wordle variant

Years
    I've tried that Wordle thing just vibing with some people in a call and it was pretty fun. Definitely worth looking into.

Years
    So to just clarify, we are doing the following for this:

We'll be doing rounds based on main games, spin-offs and other categories such as anime, manga, TCG, etc. For the game days, we will be including an array of questions, with things such as:

Squirdle (Pokémon wordle)
    Who's That Pokémon?
    Music trivia
    General trivia
    Pokémon cries

Then every other day we will cover one of the other topics, which will just be a series of various trivia questions.

Achievements rn I don't think we will bother with - we have SO much going on anyway

Last edited:
    Years
    Pokémon Trivia

Yep, we're finally doing it. We're putting the Pokémon community to the test. Can you beat this gauntlet set up by some of the GT's most nefarious goblins. You thought Mt. Battle was a struggle? Wait until you see what we're about to put you through.

All the trivia, all the Pokémon. If you're still wanting to see anything Pokémon once the event has finished, then we've failed. That's how confident we are that this huge quiz is going to stump you.

With that out of the way, make sure you've got all the Full Restores you can carry, your EVs are perfect and your movesets polished - it's time to battle!

The Event

Each day, we will have a round of trivia which could be on any number of categories within the sphere of all things Pokémon. We will be asking a variety of questions, with rounds consisting of the following:

10 x Trivia Questions
    10 x Music Questions
    5 x Who's that Pokémon?
    1 Squirdle

Trivia Questions

These will just be 10 standard questions, spanning over whatever the day's topic is.

Music questions

Same as VG Trivia, these will be snippets of music throughout the Pokémon series. Generally they will be the same as the day's topic.

Who's that Pokémon?

This is a revival of an old GT event, where you will see a close-up of a Pokémon's Dream World art and will need to guess what Pokémon it is. Now this is a little different in that rather than lots of people sending in their guesses, they will need to liaise with their teammates, as they will have only one shot! For some rounds, we will be instead including different images for you to guess (TCG round for example will have you identifying a card based on its Attacks). You CAN look at the Dream World artwork to help determine which Pokémon it is. You can find that here: [COLOR="Yellow"]https://archives.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Category:Pokémon_Dream_World_artwork[/COLOR]

Squirdle

Squirdle, the Pokémon version of that COVID craze Wordle! Each day we will have one Pokémon for you to guess, using limited information! You can guess across 5 categories and see which ones you match up on, and then use that information to guess once more (and hopefully gain more information). This will continue until you either guess the Pokémon correctly, OR have used up 8 guesses. The 5 categories are:

Generation (Higher/Lower)
    Type 1 (Correct/Correct but in the wrong place/Incorrect)
    Type 2 (Correct/Correct but in the wrong place/Incorrect)
    Evolution Chain (Whether it's a one stage/two stage/three stage evolution) (Higher/Lower)
    Base Stat Total (BST) (Higher/Lower)

You will then be indicated as to whether you are correct, or incorrect. If incorrect, you'll be told which way you need to go to get towards the right answer (these are highlighted next to each category). Example in the spoiler tags.

Spoiler:

For this segment of the event, you'll need to message either me or 5qwerty and the we will give you your Results.

Points will be as follows:

1st place: 150 Points
    2nd place: 100 Points

Lastly...

Same as all Trivia events - no cheating!

Message your submissions to myself/5qwerty either on here or on Discord (arcaneum / 5qwerty).

Back