• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Pokemon Minimal

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    Pokemon Minimal

Description:

This game runs using Pokemon Essentials 19.1. Pokemon minimal is one person's pipe dream of a rogue-like Pokemon game. First things first. I spent over 100 hours writing a program to quantify how good all Pokemon are given the information in a PBS. This takes into account everything about the Pokemon that is battle relevant. I used that program to then allow the AI to completely recreate the ENTIRE POKEDEX in a way that is "balanced". So the only thing that a Pokemon keeps is typing. There is a lot that went into this AI and I'm not going to explain it all here but it has made some really interesting Pokemon to say the least.

One thing to note is while Pokemon are completely different they should still feel the same. You will look at a Geodude and know what it is weak to and that its special defense is bad and its defense is good.

So what of the game that these monsters will be starring in! I don't care much for story or consider myself much of an artist. As such a full fledged pokemon game wouldn't be doable by myself. So instead I'm offering the ultimate Nuzlocking experience. Games with forced Nuzlocke rules are nothing new. What is going to set this one apart is that is all there is as the name suggests it is very Minimal.

Plot Outline:

There is no story arc or anything of the sort planned. Get in there fight some trainers hope to see the light at the other end that is all.

Core Mechanical Changes:

No Exp is ever awarded.
    Instead the player is only able to level up by use of rare candies.
    Hard level caps are enforced and as the player progresses that level cap increases.
    ALL Pokemon Evolve at a set rate.
    3 Stage Pokemon evolve at 30 and 55

- 2 Stage Pokemon evolve at 41

- 1 Stage Pokemon are very powerful and will be unfindable till late game.

Legendary Pokemon should be balanced and usable so the player will get to have them!
    There are no Ev's
    Some moves have been changed to help the AI. Ex: Leaf storm type moves have been changed to recoil (but still work with contrary)
    Pokemon are fully healed after every battle but if a Pokemon faints it faints for good.
    All battles take place in set mode. The option to change it is still there but it does nothing

State of the Game:

You start the game with the option of 3 of 18 starter Pokemon. You pick one and are forced down that path. Currently that path is to the fighting gym leader but normally it will be to a gym leader that beats your starter. From there it is a mostly normal Nuzlocke.

Of the trainers you will encounter on each route there is a pool of possible trainers that you will have to fight; currently there are 30 trainers in the game. You will only have to fight 12 on a successful run. This makes it so that each run can vary wildly as your encounters and battles will infrequently be the same.

Currently there are 12 battles.

9 against trainers

1 against your rival

1 against a gym trainer

1 against a gym leader.

Do note this is not an easy game. To compensate for that in game the Player is given the chance to view the team they will be going up against and prepare. Planning is the key to victory especially in the early stages.

Where is the game going:

After beating a Gym leader I want the player to be able to make a choice of three items that will impact how they play. (I have rough ideas but nothing I'm going to put out into the world so as to not disappoint) Those three items are going to relate to the gym leader they just beat. Then they will pick one of three gyms that will be the next gym they face. In all this means that for each gym badge I need 18 unique routes! With an estimate of over 4000 trainers filling them. That scope is massive and I'm not sure I will make it there but what I am making sure I do is at least creating a clean Nuzlocke experience all the way to a champion fight. At first it will be one route all the way through the game. My plan is to have this put together all the way to a champion fight in about a month, give or take.

I also want to be able to allow the player to have settings at the start of the run to either make it harder, force a Monolocke or stuff of that nature.

Another minor thing I want to do is keep track of all damage dealt, taken, KOS, and assists your Pokemon get as you adventure and have that displayed for each individual Pokemon

I also have plans on how to deal with save scumming that are in the works I don't think people will like what I am going to do and there will always be away around what I'm going to do for right now just know you are free to save as you like but that will be going away in the future.

Why am I posting this:

A game like this takes a lot of testing and tweaking of things. Which if I'm focused on producing it I don't always have the time to test to the extent that I like. So I would like to put the game out to the people and allow people the chance to play it. I would love to hear the response that the community has to this abomination that I am making and more importantly I would love the hear peoples experience with it so I can continue to fine tune and enhance the experience.

So with out Further Ado here is your link to play what is Pokemon Minimal

Change Logs:
    v0.4.0: 7/21/22
    - 4th Gym (Water) is now available to be battled. (I think this might be the weakest gym yet, but that's okay and not something I'm going to change)
    - The 6 routes leading up to them are fully functional. As the game is going on I feel like the player will need less encounters this will also help speed up the pace of game play.
    - Rival now has a full team of 6 and is a tough fight.
    - Trainers on these routes will have to be fought without allowing you to change out your team. Requires more planning to make sure your team is best built for the given situations.

v0.3.0 : 7/5/22
    - Route 1-10 Encounters Reworked for what I'm hoping is a final time. Beating first gym leader now feels doable consistently.
    - Berry's that reduce super effective moves upped in price to 500, Sitrus Berry upped to 500, Berries that boost a stat when before 1/4th have been raised to 500.
    - These price changes has been reflected in the items Trainers have.
    - Routes 19-26 are now available. Ending at the third gym leader which is the steel gym leader. As always this gym leader is hard, but now the normal trainer fights are getting challenging.
    - A lot of behind the scene stuff has been updated which will make updating in the future faster. Also is why this version took a while to come out.
    - Prevented level up stats from displaying. This makes the game play much faster.
    - Level Cap for 3rd Gym is 30. So you will finally get to evolve some Pokemon.

v0.2.0 : 6/25/22
    - Shinys are now 1/32 chance
    - Shiny Pokemon are 5% better wow.
    - Route 1-10 encounters have been revamped to make the first gym more consistently beatable. I might need to tweak more as I find that having ralts with Psychic Surge is almost mandatory.
    - Route 11-18 are out along with a Second Gym. This is the Rock Gym leader. This one is also hard although a slight drop in difficulty as you now have way more options for how to approach it.
    - 3k Poke dollars is awarded after each gym.
    - There is a shop that can be accessed from any route after the first gym.
    - Trainers now have 500 Poke Dollars worth of items. Your rival and gym trainers have 1000 worth and the gym leader is gonna match you in item value!
    - Encounter previews now exist, they show you what pokemon you can get and what the odds are. These are calculated on the fly so they are estimates but good ones at that.
    - Changed colors of stats affected by nature so it is more clear. Red Bad Green Good!
    - Added a little skull icon to fainted pokemon in PC so you can easily see who fainted by hovering on them.
    -Removed stats being displayed while leveling up. This is surprisingly annoying when you are using a bunch of rare candies. Felt it was interrupting the pace of the game. It now goes very quickly.

Pokemon Minimal
    Pokemon Minimal
    Pokemon Minimal
    Pokemon Minimal

Sorry for disappointing images the are a requirement of the Forum and honestly there isn't much visually unique to show off about my game it's more about what is under the hood.

If you are interested in the project in the long term feel free to reach out I am looking for people who would be willing to test and help point out issues.

Credits:

Scripts and Stuff:
    "Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
    Flameguru
    Poccil (Peter O.)
    Maruno

With contributions from:
    Marin
    Boushy
    MiDas Mike
    Brother1440
    Near Fantastica
    FL.
    PinkMan
    Genzai Kawakami
    Popper
    Golisopod User
    Rataime
    help-14
    Savordez
    IceGod64
    SoundSpawn
    Jacob O. Wobbrock
    the__end
    KitsuneKouta
    Venom12
    Lisa Anthony
    Wachunga
    Luka S.J.
    and everyone else who helped out

"mkxp-z" by:
    Roza
    Based on "mkxp" by Ancurio et al.

"RPG Maker XP" by:
    Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by:
    The Pokémon Company
    Nintendo
    Affiliated with Game Freak

Better Fast-forward Mode by Marin
    EV and IV's In Summary by Deoxysprime

Visuals:
    Animations from the folks at Pokemon Reborn
    Gen 7 Pokemon Sprites and Icons from the folks at Pokemon Zero

Music:
    Pokémon Anime Sound Collection Pokémon Gym Version 2
    Battle! Johto Gym Leader: Arrangement ► Pokémon Heart Gold & Soul Silver
    Viridian Forest: Remastered ► Pokémon Heart Gold & Soul Silver
    Battle (Medium)- Paper Mario Color Splash OST
    Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire & Emerald - Rival Battle Music (HQ)
    Runescape music: Al Kharid - HIGH QUALITY
    Wrought Flesh OST: Desert Battle
    Hoenn PokéMart: Remastered ► Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire & Emerald
    Kirby Air Ride: Kirby Melee
    Crypt of the Necrodancer OST - Metalmancy (Death Metal)
    Emotional Video Game Music ★ Ballad of the Wind Fish (Remix)
    Pokemon GSC Remix: Surfing Theme
    Sonic 2 Music: Aquatic Ruin Zone

This is a non-profit fan-made game.

No copyright infringements intended.

Please support the official games!

Last edited:
    Back