• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Soul Silver Team and Training Tips

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2011
    I'm trying to train my team for Red and I thought it would be useful to get some help and tips just to make my team as strong as possible. If you could also help by giving me places to train so that my team can get up to the standard needed to beat Red, than that would be very appreciated. I have beaten the Elite Four once, but I don't think my team is string enough to beat them again, I think once all my Pokemon are all 60+ I'll definitely go back. I haven't had any gym leader rematches yet, I'll probably face them when all my team are 50+.

My Team is:
    Typhlosion, Level 58, Mild Nature, No Held Item
    Lava Plume
    Flamethrower
    Eruption
    Flame Wheel

Gyarados, Level 53, Relaxed Nature, Amulet Coin
    Blizzard
    Waterfall (change)
    Hyper Beam (?)
    Surf

Ampharos, Level 53, Gentle Nature, Expert Belt
    Signal Beam (change)
    Discharge
    Rock Climb (change)
    Thunderpunch

Lugia, Level 54, Lonely Nature, Blue Flute
    Shadow Ball
    Fly (?)
    Hydro Pump
    Iron Tail (?)

Tangrowth, Level 45, Calm Nature, Miracle Seed (Training Currently)
    Flash (Change)
    Slam (going to swap with Power Whip)
    Solar Beam
    Giga Drain

The last spot is a toss-up between several Pokemon. They are:

Onix, Level 36
    Sandstorm
    Rock Slide
    Rock Climb
    DragonBreath

Sneasel, Level 48
    Icy Wind
    Slash
    Beat Up
    Metal Claw

Golbat, Level 51
    Mean Look
    Poison Fang
    Sludge Bomb
    Air Slash

Golduck, Level 51
    Screech
    Psych Up
    Zen Headbutt
    Amnesia

Seaking, Level 50
    Aqua Ring
    Fury Attack
    Waterfall
    Horn Drill

Any advice will be greatly appreciated :)

Much Love <3

Calamity

Just for the love of the game.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2020
    I'll try my best to give some tips.

~ Well your Typhlosion could use with with some different moves for coverage, swap flame wheel for Focus Blast, I also put dig on mine but I don't know if its a smart move, just better coverage than 4 fire type moves.

~ Gyrados is supposed to be a physical attacker, so keep Waterfall, make it relearn Dragon Dance over Hyper Beam which is just asking for it to get KO'ed on the recharge or give Red time to heal. Plus if you managed to get a few DD's off that thing could cause hell. As for blizzard I'm not sure whether you should swap for Ice fang, but due to the hail in the Mt. Silver battle blizzard never misses, it's up to you on that one.

~ Keep signal beam on Amph, he's got good special attack, also keep levelling him up until he learns power gem and switch it with rock climb, you can keep the two electric moves if you want but I'd swap thunderpunch for thunderwave to cripple some of Red's faster pokemon like Charizard.

~ I don't really know much about the other pokemon, so my only other advice is to grind until your atleast in the 70's, then just give it a shot, nothing to loose. :)

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2011
    I was thinking about putting Focus Blast on my Typhlosion purely because of Red's Snorlax and I'll probably replace Lava Plume with another move.

And what about replacing Hyper Beam or even Blizzard with Avalanche because it's a physical move?

But cheers for the tips bro <3

Calamity

Just for the love of the game.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2020
    Yeah Avalanche, I completly forgot about that move haha, and for your last slot I think a fighting type would fit nicely, purely because incase your Typhlosions down you don't really have much to deal with Snorlax's bulk and his Lapras is also weak to fighting moves. But it's completly up to you if you want to train one up.

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2011
    Got any Fighting type recommendations? Or should I just teach a move like focus punch to my Ampharos or my Sneasel?

Zeus2398

God
    Years
    OK, first, for Typhlosion, go with:
    Flamethrower, Earthquake, Brick Break/Focus Blast, and maybe Eruption, but anything that fits would go here :) And also, stick a Charcoal on him

Now, for Gyarados, try:
    Waterfall, Ice Fang/Blizzard (its the classic Power or PP argument, because with Hail on Mt Silver, you won't have to worry about accuracy of Blizzard, but with rematches and E4 training, go with Ice Fang, but its your choice vs Red), Dragon Dance, and Thrash or Aqua Tail is good here :D Shove a Mystic Water or NeverMeltIce on it

For Ampharos, I think this would be good:
    Discharge (Because its difficult to get your hands on Thunderbolt, and you should save it up anyway), keep Signal Beam, Power Gem, and Fire Punch via Heart Scale, and put a Magnet on it :P

Now, I dislike legendaries, but:
    Lugia is fine with Shadow Ball/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt, Fly is no good, but its signature move, Aeroblast, is great on it, though, along with Psychic, and Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Shadow Ball again. Doesn't really matter what item on Lugia, though ^^

Tangrowth is a nice choice, btw, and here is what I think:
    Giga Drain and Solarbeam are fine, but Power Whip is not accurate enough, but instead, there's nothing wrong with Sunny Day, so that you get a speed boost from Chlorophyll, as well as making Solarbeam one turn, and Sludge Bomb is a good choice also. Miracle Seed is good on Tangrowth, so good choice there xD

And for the last slot, I'd go with either:

Weavile Ice Punch, Night Slash, Brick Break, and X-Scissor

or:

Crobat Cross Poison, Confuse Ray, Aerial Ace/Air Slash, and X-Scissor

or, if you want a fight type:

Heracross Megahorn, Brick Break, Return/Frustration (depending on whether or not he likes you)/Rock Slide, Close Combat

Overall, a decent team!

Last edited:
    Back