• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music Soundtracks and Scores

Years
    • they/them
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 7, 2024
    What are your opinions on listening to soundtracks / scores from video games, anime, or even TV & movies?

What are your favourite OSTs from all different types of media?

Personally, I really enjoy listening to soundtracks, specifically of games because I remember the moments from the games where the music is implemented at perfect times.
    My favourite soundtrack is probably Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, or PAYDAY 2.

EDIT: OH YEAH AND THE PHENOMENAL HOTLINE MIAMI 1 + 2 SOUNDTRACKS <3

Last edited:
    Years
    I love most soundtracks, especially the ones that are made with extra effort to suit the moment and feel of the anime/game itself. Probably, my favorites would be the Kingdom Hearts OST (from any game) and from anime, Fairy Tail and Naruto OST.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 8, 2015
    Great question!

My favourite scores/soundtracks

TV Show - person of interest (season 1)
    Game - command and conquer - red alert ( brings back so many memories of playing it constantly one summer)
    Movie - Pain and Gain (highly recommended!!)
    Anime - .....tough one...will come back to it but Inital D comes to mind.

Years
    Soundtracks were the first kind of music I listened to. When I was a little kid there was no youtube or whatever and I just didn't listen to music. But then I started watching movies and I got to listening to their soundtracks. Always going to have a special place in my heart for John Williams and the Star Wars soundtracks.

I could make a very long post about all the soundtracks I like, but I'll keep it short. Yoko Kanno is one of the best and anything she does is worth listening to. Any movie that's got a distinctive score is usually worth listening to. TV series don't usually have much that's distinctive, but I rather like the ones from Hannibal and Batman The Animated Series. For video games, the soundtrack to Journey is phenomenal.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
    I don't listen to soundtracks standalone (unless they're culled from pop songs etc, but even then I do it rarely (and only really do it with Rushmore's soundtrack)) but a good soundtrack can make a movie exponentially better.

Years
    • they/them
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 7, 2024
    I don't listen to soundtracks standalone (unless they're culled from pop songs etc, but even then I do it rarely (and only really do it with Rushmore's soundtrack)) but a good soundtrack can make a movie exponentially better.

Interesting. Why is it that you don't like listening to soundtracks on their own? I was the same way before I played PAYDAY 2.

VanillaMiltank

GET SOME MILK
    Years
    There are a few soundtracks/scores that I really enjoy - one of my particular favourites is the Pirates Of The Caribbean score, predominantly 'He's a Pirate' Brilliant sound, for a brilliant film :)
    I also like the Kingdom Hearts music
    Ooh, I love the Rio soundtrack too!

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
    Interesting. Why is it that you don't like listening to soundtracks on their own? I was the same way before I played PAYDAY 2.
    I just don't think they translate well outside of the context that they're actually played in, usually! plus I think they're more of a companion piece than anything -- I don't think they're necessarily supposed to stand well on their own, & that's okay!

additionally there are so many other albums that're occupying my interest at any given time that to add more into the mix would just be chaos. (0:

Years
    I just don't think they translate well outside of the context that they're actually played in, usually! plus I think they're more of a companion piece than anything -- I don't think they're necessarily supposed to stand well on their own, & that's okay!
    But you can use them as a companion piece to what you yourself are doing, like when you need to study or work on something you can use a soundtrack to help fill the void without it being as distracting as other music. But I guess that depends on how distracted each person gets.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
    But you can use them as a companion piece to what you yourself are doing, like when you need to study or work on something you can use a soundtrack to help fill the void without it being as distracting as other music. But I guess that depends on how distracted each person gets.
    I listen to other music while I study all the time, actually! I think I'm one of the rare people who's actually helped by that.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    HEARTS ON FIRE! STRONG DESIRE! RAGES DEEP WITHIN!

Yeah, let's see how many get that...

Years
    All kneel before our lord and savior Hans Zimmer

I don't think there's a score he's done that I haven't liked, and that's saying something because the dude has done a million scores for movies. The Lion King, Inception, Nolan's batman films and Man of Steel would be my faves.

As for say a video game, I think Golden Sun had the best music for the GBA of any game i've ever played. Half the reason the games were so good was because of the amazing music, and that's something considering they were GBA games and limited to what the hardware of the Advance/SP could do.

Back