• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

TV The Series Finale

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    So I just wrapped up watching Mad Men and it got me thinking about TV show finales. I happened to really enjoy this one, but there have been a lot of finales that I've hated. My questions to you:

Without spoiling these said shows:

1. What have been your favorite finales?
    2. What have been your least favorites?
    3. What makes a finale good or bad to you?

Like I said, I liked Mad Men's finale & I also enjoyed the ending of Breaking Bad, Friends, ATLA and Legend of Korra. I'm sure there are more.

An example of an ending I loathed: How I Met Your Mother. I could rant for days about the last 6 seasons of this show, but I'll spare you all.

I like a more concrete ending, where I have an idea of what's going to happen in these character's lives even though I won't get to see it happen.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
    Yeah you're right HIMYM was an awful ending, just took away the whole point of the final season (and the other 8 I suppose).

Breaking Bad's ending was a thing of beauty in my opinion.

AlphaTangoFoxtrot

Johto-vah's Witness
    Years
    So I just wrapped up watching Mad Men and it got me thinking about TV show finales. I happened to really enjoy this one, but there have been a lot of finales that I've hated. My questions to you:

Without spoiling these said shows:

1. What have been your favorite finales?
    2. What have been your least favorites?
    3. What makes a finale good or bad to you?

Like I said, I liked Mad Men's finale & I also enjoyed the ending of Breaking Bad, Friends, ATLA and Legend of Korra. I'm sure there are more.

An example of an ending I loathed: How I Met Your Mother. I could rant for days about the last 6 seasons of this show, but I'll spare you all.

I like a more concrete ending, where I have an idea of what's going to happen in these character's lives even though I won't get to see it happen.

I don't typically marvel much at endings. What I mean is that I don't usually have any fantastic memories of endings I loved. That bring said, the number of EGREGIOUSLY AWFUL ENDINGS I've experienced is shocking and depressing. Can we talk for a moment about how the writers for Dexter and White Collar are actually Satan? Both of those endings DESTROYED beautiful shows. (actually pretty much the entire last "season" for White Collar was trash and a poor excuse for a season.)

What makes or breaks an ending is just deciding to wrap it up and makes it great. Don't cop out (looking at you, White Collar and Dexter). Don't destroy everything the series built up. Just end the shows in a satisfying way. Give the people an ending they can live with. *Ahem* DEXTER *Ahem*

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
    Off the top of my head for favorite SERIES finales, would be Angel and Psych. It took me some time to cope with Angels as it could still very well continue, but it was a fitting end. Psych's series finally totally rectified the lousy-ness of the last 2 seasons and the tie-in with another show was great.

Least favorite wise, not sure atm.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 1, 2024
    Oh my god, How I Met Your Mother - I still remember the mass outrage at the ending, lol. I didn't even dislike the last couple seasons like a lot of people did - I actually enjoyed most of season 9, but that finale was so incredibly unsatisfying.
    Spoiler:

I wasn't particularly fond of the LOST finale either, I think, but it's been so long I don't really remember it that well. Lot of weird shit happened.

Psych's series finally totally rectified the lousy-ness of the last 2 seasons and the tie-in with another show was great.
    Sounds like I need to finish season 8 then! I don't remember why, but I didn't enjoy the first two episodes of S8 that much, so I never watched it to the end.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
    Oh my god, How I Met Your Mother - I still remember the mass outrage at the ending, lol. I didn't even dislike the last couple seasons like a lot of people did - I actually enjoyed most of season 9, but that finale was so incredibly unsatisfying.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 1, 2024
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Sirfetch’d

Dexter had a god awful series finale imo. I love the series but I could sorta feel a downward trend around season 7? I stuck it out though and watched it until the very end. An A+ series turned into a joke for me though with that finale :/ Such a shame too.

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    seinfeld lol

i thought to sirloin with love ended king of the hill on a very satisfactory note and summed up the feel for the series while allowing for the slight absurdism the later seasons had gone towards
    i think it was a very loving way to give closure to the series and i remember the episode fondly

Back