• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] Thoughts on some of my sprites.

Ryz

Years
I'm pretty sure this goes here.. if not.. sorry.

Anyway, I've been designing some sprites for my game. I was wondering if I could have you guys thoughts on what its like and how to improve it. I finished one so far. This is pretty much the only one I did that didn't look like garbage.

LTlwz9q.png

That's one I made for the male trainer. I'm very critical of myself so sometimes I end up making things worse. So I thought I'd get some people who don't know me to comment so there will be no bias.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen today
I'm pretty sure this goes here.. if not.. sorry.

Anyway, I've been designing some sprites for my game. I was wondering if I could have you guys thoughts on what its like and how to improve it. I finished one so far. This is pretty much the only one I did that didn't look like garbage.

LTlwz9q.png

That's one I made for the male trainer. I'm very critical of myself so sometimes I end up making things worse. So I thought I'd get some people who don't know me to comment so there will be no bias.

The divisions between your colours are either really drastic or separated with the colour black. (The hair, shirt, and the back pant leg.)
The sprite also is very flat, with most parts having 2 shades and black. (Maybe replacing some of the black lines of the shirt with dark blue or removing them? And replacing the black in the hair with a darker shade of brown. And for the pant leg, ading some shading on the fron like and short lines around the knees like wrinkles or folds of clothing.)
Finally, I'm not sure if it just happened when you uploaded the image but some of those lines are really thick. I aim for single pixel thick lines.
(And if all else fails, steal bits and pieces from the game's sprites)
Take my advice with a grain of salt. (Or to taste.)

Years
Changed the category to something that fits it more :)

As someone with little to no pixel experience, I think something happened when you were resizing the piece. Maybe you stretched it a bit too wide? Which led to some of the lines being thicker, and some of the shapes not being too clear at a glance. The shirt could also do with a little bit more shading (the right shirt sleeve looks flat which contrasts a lot to the arm). It's a really good attempt though, and with some practice it'll be even better :)

Back