• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tug o' War 5 - Pie (+1) vs Cake (-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years

On the topic of vegan stuff:
    Spoiler:

It's a 'butter' I use on my bread that's supposed to be fully plant based. It's more expensive than regular butter, but the taste is actually pretty good!
    It's a brand that wants to reduce the deforestation of the rainforest by reducing the need for palm oil and thus the plantations for them.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years

On the topic of 'plant based', why is everything already vegan (vegetable soup for example) now being labeled 'plant based'? It's like "Duh, It's VEGAN"... smh
    (I get it for things like meat subs and such things)

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    On the topic of 'plant based', why is everything already vegan (vegetable soup for example) now being labeled 'plant based'? It's like "Duh, It's VEGAN"... smh
    (I get it for things like meat subs and such things)
    Marketing.

It's them just being all like "look at all those products we have that are totally sustainable. We are helping!"

Years

I have had vegan cakes before too, I make them, but it adds more steps to the process. If you're using say a seed like flax as your emulsifier, you still have to grind it to a powder and whip it up into a water mixture, before you can beat it like an egg into the cake batter. Meanwhile it's not necessary that you have egg, dairy or a substitute for them in pie by comparison.

I am not saying that there aren't plant-based ways of making cakes, I'm saying that pies, don't have to be changed as much as cakes to be suitable for a plant-based diet, if at all, often they already are compatible, at least with the fruit-based pies, and there's always something to be said for convenience. A shell can be as simple as flour, sugar and cooking oil.

Pies without animal products in them are also more widely available in stores, if you are not able to cook yourself or don't have access to a baker that makes adjustments to fit different diets

Last edited:
    Years

I saw this recipe for a pie that is made with cream cheese. I think that sounds like it could be good. The Graham cracker crust reminds me of a snack i used to eat as a kid, Cream cheese and jam on Graham crackers. I usually I would put strawberry fruit preserves on those fellas. 🤤

Years

Cake and Pie shakes? why does that sound like a waste of cakes and pies? 🤔
    Never had them. Didn't even know they were a thing lol

(Dutch) egg cake:
    Spoiler:

Years

I haven't tried much pumpkin pie. What I usually buy in Autumn is pumpkin bread, maybe some pumpkin spice cookies, but these pumpkin pie balls look like they could be good.

Years

I stumbled on a Dutch chocolate cake with biscuit pieces in it that doesn't need any baking, you just put it in the fridge for a couple hours... called 'Arretje Nof'.
    Never heard of it. Randomly came up in google =P

Spoiler:

Years

Nice!

Also today I added plum to this list of galette flavors I have learned how to make! I am probably filling the house with too many sweets, but I just love how it feels to bake!

Years

A cake originating from Indonesia: lapis legit.
    I don't recall ever seeing them... yet they're supposed to be found in 'most grocery stores' here. Could be a regional thing I guess. It looks interesting enough for me to want to give it a try if I ever find one.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Since this thread has been dormant for over a month I'll just close it. It looks like cake won this round. Congrats! :D

The next one will open soon. So, stay tuned!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back