• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Completed] Video Games Trivia

Years

• VIDEO GAMES TRIVIA

HOW THIS WORKS

What is the Get-Together without VG Trivia? A miserable little pile of events. It's time to get your video games noggin on! Your mission - get as many questions right as you can! The winning team will then be awarded 300 points towards their team's total at the end of the event, with second place receiving 200 points and last place receiving 50 points. Exciting! Read on to see how this event will be panning out.

Each day, I will be posting a series of video game questions, ranging across all sorts of topics and challenges. These will run up to the 17th July, to give me time to close off the event on the last day.

CHANGES TO THE EVENT

There are going to be some twists in this year's event! Firstly, this is the first year that the VG Trivia and VGM Trivia events are going to be combined! All the madness is under one roof and therefore each day I will be alternating between Trivia and VGM Trivia. I will also be deciding tiebreakers in a different way - there will be no bonus questions this time around.

Instead, I'm bringing back and expanding on a feature from a previous year! This year, each team will pick three representatives for their team. These representatives will then need to choose their own topic in which I will then pose them and ONLY them a question on that topic. Whichever team then gets the most right between their trio wins. Each rep will also have a Masterclass event, where they will have ten questions to answer on their chosen topic, so look out for that! NB: your Reps must be chosen by the end of the first day of the GT.

I will also be changing how answers are submitted this year - you only need one person to send them. I will then advise which ones are correct/not correct and you then get one opportunity to correct any mistakes, before submitting your final answers. I will ONLY be accepting answers via Discord, as I barely manage to check the forums until I come to update the thread, so it is easier to manage it all via Discord. My Discord handle is [*]Discord (Arcaneum#0823).

THE NITTY-GRITTY

Throughout the event, to try and create clear leads etc. for teams, there will be an internal scoreboard. Each question correctly answered will net you 5 points, with a full set giving you a bonus 5 points. In the event of a tiebreaker, the winning team will receive a further bonus 5 points.

Each day will start at around 17:00 - 19:00 EDT, depending on my schedule. Anything submitted after 19:00 will not be counted, it is on you to manage your timezones, not me.

If you wish to get updates on the event (answers, etc.) then you will need to be on our PokéCommunity Discord Server. Once there, you will need to assign yourself the @Trivia role (by simply typing !addrole trivia in either #gt-general or your team chat) and then you'll never miss another update again!

AND FINALLY...

A few closing notes - in the spirit of the competition, please try not to look up the answers! Use existing knowledge to answer these questions - there's a wide range of games, eras and genres mentioned so that there's something for everyone. If you have any questions at all regarding how the event is run, don't hesitate to post it here or message me.

The event itself is of course competitive, but the setup is made so co-operating will net you better results, so make sure to liaise with your team regularly, to have a better chance of winning!

And most importantly...kick back, relax, get your game on and have fun!

LEADERBOARD

Solum - 175
    Aecor - 160
    Caelum - 95

Last edited:
    Years
  • VIDEO GAMES TRIVIA

DAY ONE - RED HERRING!

Got ya! There will be no questions today - as mentioned in the OP, you have until the end of the day (00:00 BST, so around 10 hours from the start of the GT) to decide three Reps for your team. You will then need to DM me these three names and their topics of choice.

Otherwise, get swotting up, 'cause I feel this year's is going to be particularly hard! For moving forward, the schedule will be:

• July 5th - Select Reps
    • July 6th - VG Trivia Round 1: Cheats, Codes and Tricks
    • July 7th - VG Music Round 1: Character Themes
    • July 8th - VG Trivia Round 2: Locations
    • July 9th - VG Music Round 2: Overworlds
    • July 10th - VG Trivia Round 3: Bosses
    • July 11th - VG Music Round 3: Boss Themes
    • July 12th - VG Trivia Round 4: Rep Masterclass
    • July 13th - VG Music Round 4: April's Favourites
    • July 14th - VG Trivia Round 5: Weapons/Items
    • July 15th - VG Music Round 5: Dungeons
    • July 16th - VG Trivia Round 6: Heroes and Villains
    • July 17th - VG Music Round 6: Victory Fanfares/Credits

Last edited:
    Years
  • VIDEO GAMES TRIVIA

DAY ONE (FOR REAL) - Cheats, Codes and Tricks

Today's theme is all about cutting corners - whether that's by cheating, inputting a secret code or abusing the game's flaws to perform tricks and glitches. Unfortunately you won't be able to use any of these to answer the questions, but I'm sure you'll get on just fine!

Answers to be sent to me via Discord (Arcaneum#0823). Remember - you get two chances, so make sure to make those submissions count! This round will finish at 00:00 Tuesday 06/07; don't forget that @Trivia role for updates!

Your questions today are:

1. What is the Konami Code input? Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start.
    2. In Sonic 2 (Genesis version), what sounds must you play in the Sound Test to then enable Level Select? 19, 65, 09, 17.
    3. To perform the Infinite Sword Glitch in Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, (this is based on doing it from a sign etc, not Navi or an enemy). Whilst crouching crouch stab and then cancel that attack just as you interact with an object.
    4. What is the button input to enable permanent "On Fire" mode in NBA Jam? A/B/C 7 times, then hold Up, B and C.
    5. In Metal Gear Solid 3, there are a few ways to defeat The End. You can kill him as normal, shoot him as he is being wheeled into a building... and how else can you kill him? Leave the console on for a week (or change the console's clock to a week ahead) and The End will die of old age.
    6. In Age of Empires 2, what code can you put into the chat, which replaces all flying creatures with flying dogs? WOOF WOOF
    7. What password will take you straight to the Mike Tyson/Mr. Dream fight in Super Punch-Out? 007 373 5963
    8. In Super Smash Brothers, wavedashing is a mechanic used to allow you move faster across the stage. There is another mechanic involving movement called dashdancing. What does this involve? Repeatedly going left and right, causing you to dash left and right at high speeds.
    9. In Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, what button can you continually press whilst running and holding down on the D-Pad to gain infinite stamina? B.
    10. In order to stop Witcher 3 players abusing exploiting infinite cowhides for infinite money, they patched the game so that after killing a certain amount of cows, a Chort enemy would spawn. How many cows need to be killed before the Chort spawns? 7.

Last edited:
    Years
  • VIDEO GAMES TRIVIA

DAY THREE - Location, Location, Location

Today's theme is all about spanning the gaming universe, hopping from one location to the next! Hopefully you're ready to go on the ride of your life as you traverse these locations.

Now unfortunately on your map... it looks like the names have scrambled up a bit! I'll try to help as much as I can, but I can't guarantee it will help much...

Answers to be sent to me via Discord (Arcaneum#0823). Remember - you get two chances, so make sure to make those submissions count! This round will finish at 00:00 Thursday 08/07; don't forget that @Trivia role for updates!

Your questions today are:

1. SINTARRB - Platformer/Metroidvania - Careful, Space Spores found here! BRINSTAR
    2. GLEAM CAGE VIBALLK - RPG - A place hidden by an owl in the trees. BLACK MAGE VILLAGE
    3. MOOSES WASHD LINADS - Stealth - The darker side of a holy person... SHADOW MOSES ISLAND
    4. NATTEY RICE - RPG - A place of truly infinite possibilities ETERNA CITY
    5. GOZEL HIER LENN - Platformer - Where speed first met hedgehog. GREEN HILL ZONE
    6. CARDIAA - FPS/RPG - Lots of Splicers can be found here! ARCADIA
    7. DARESIT PHUNNL - RPG - Shocking hell. THUNDER PLAINS
    8. OWE LOVTHERRD - Sandbox - You don't seem to spend much time in actual mines here... THE OVERWORLD
    9. NIUL - RPG - You can rebuild your very own town here! LUIN
    10. DOWNSIN - RPG - You'll find yourself super cold here! SNOWDIN

Last edited:
    Years
  • VIDEO GAMES TRIVIA

DAY FOUR - Uberworld, baby!

Today's VG Trivia is the first of our VGM rounds! In these rounds, you'll get a small snippet from a game's soundtrack and will need to identify spects of the song. In this case, today's theme is Overworlds!! All I need you to do is to identify the game the songs are from, as we'll start things nice and easy. I will still however need things specifying such as if it is the second etc game in a series (Disgaea 2, as an example, Disgaea will not suffice).

As usual, submissions to me via Discord - you get one shot and then one chance of redemption, don't waste them!

Today's Songs

Song 1 - Chrono Cross

Song 2 - Final Fantasy IX

Song 3 - Golden Sun

Song 4 - Super Mario World

Song 5 - Persona 4/Golden

Song 6 - Rayman

Song 7 - Tales of the Abyss

Song 8 - Terraria

Song 9 - LoZ: A Link to the Past

Song 10 - Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Last edited:
    Years
  • VIDEO GAMES TRIVIA

DAY FIVE - THE FINAL BATTLE

Today you will be racking your brains as I throw a cipher your way, which when deciphered will help reveal the name of the baddest of bosses! Now for this, I will need not only the names of the bosses, but also the completed cipher as well please!

Answers to be sent to me via Discord (Arcaneum#0823). Remember - you get two chances, so make sure to make those submissions count! This round will finish in 24 hours; don't forget that @Trivia role for updates!

Your trivia today is:

CIPHER

1 - I
    2 - J
    3 - K
    4 - L
    5 - M
    6 - N
    7 - O
    8 - P
    9 - Q
    10 - R
    11 - S
    12 - T
    13 - U
    14 - V
    15 - W
    16 - X
    17 - Y
    18 - Z
    19 - A
    20 - B
    21 - C
    22 - D
    23 - E
    24 - F
    25 - G
    26 - H

1. M A S T E R | H A N D - A whole lotta power in those 5 digits.
    2. M O T H E R | B R A I N - Maternal AND clever!
    3. Y E A G A R - From mirror-named archaeologist to scythe-wielding maniac.
    4. C L E R I C | B E A S T - Such a holy monster
    5. A L B E R T | W E S K E R - Pumped with all sorts of viruses and plunged into a volcano.
    6. S P A R K | M A N D R I L L - Shocking Monkey
    7. L A D Y | B U T T E R F L Y - Probably the most cunning bug I have ever seen.
    8. E D E L G A R D - Student turned Tyrant turned Monster.
    9. D R. E G G M A N - For a genius IQ, this is a pretty unsuccessful boss.
    10. S H I N | A K U M A - A souped-up version of an already broken fighter.

Last edited:
    Years
  • VIDEO GAMES TRIVIA

DAY FIVE - THE FINAL BATTLE DLC EDITION

You managed to crack my first code... however here is my final form! An even harder cipher and harder answers, dive into the depths of obscurity with these ones!

Answers to be sent to me via Discord (Arcaneum#0823). Remember - you get two chances, so make sure to make those submissions count! This round will finish in 24 hours; don't forget that @Trivia role for updates!

CIPHER 2.0

A = P
    B = K
    C = F
    D = A
    E = V
    F = Q
    G = L
    H = G
    I = B
    J = W
    K = R
    L = M
    M = H
    N = C
    O = X
    P = S
    Q = N
    R = I
    S = D
    T = Y
    U = T
    V = O
    W = J
    X = E
    Y = Z
    Z = U

1. SNIPER WOLF - Sharpshooter
    2. CHAMPION CYNTHIA - Elite
    3. SERAPH LAMINGTON - Angel
    4. CHOP CHOP MASTER ONION - Musical
    5. MALOS - Blade
    6. KING BOO - Scary
    7. GOOPER BLOOPER - Ink
    8. MOON LORD - Royalty
    9. MAJORA - Moon
    10. PSYCHO MANTIS - Psychic

Last edited:
    Years
  • VIDEO GAMES TRIVIA

DAY SIX - Get Ready and Fight!

So two rounds of fighting bosses wasn't enough, now it's time to try and guess the themes of some more heavy-hitting bosses in our Boss Theme round of VGM Trivia! For this round, you will need to tell me the GAME and also the name of the BOSS the theme is for. In the instance it is a generic boss theme or the boss is not named, I need at least a signifier of that (so for example if it is generic boss music, I am fine for you to say "Boss Theme" or if it is a Final Boss, then "Final Boss Theme" is sufficient)

As usual, submissions to me via Discord - you get one shot and then one chance of redemption, don't waste them!

Today's Songs

Song 1 - Vagrant Story - Guildenstern

Song 2 - Tekken 3 - True Ogre

Song 3 - Bravely Default - Uroburos

Song 4 - Puzzle Bobble 2/Bust-a-Move 2 - Boss Theme

Song 5 - Final Fantasy VIII - Ultimecia

Song 6 - Super Mario RPG - Culex

Song 7 - Final Fantasy XIV - Sophia

Song 8 - Disgaea 2 - Zenon

Song 9 - Megaman X3 - Maverick Theme

Song 10 - Xemnas (Final Form) - Kingdom Hearts II

Last edited:
    Years
  • VIDEO GAMES TRIVIA

DAY SEVEN - MASTERCLASS

So it's time to put those Reps through the grindstone and see if they are really worth their mettle! To give everyone else a mid-event break, your lovely Reps are going to be carrying your teams solo today, as they answer 10 questions on their subject choice all on their own. Never has a fate of a team hinged on so few people as now, here's to hoping your Reps do the best!

Just to add a little ZING, here's the masterclasses your reps will be, and have been, undergoing:

Solum
    bobandbill - Orre Throwdown. A Pokémon Colosseum Masterclass
    Spoiler:

Cherrim - A Key to Unlock All Doors. A Kingdom Hearts Masterclass
    Spoiler:

Inky - Where's Everybody Going, the Village? A Resident Evil: Village Masterclass
    Spoiler:

Aecor
    Juno - In RimWorld, No One Can Hear You Scream. A RimWorld Masterclass
    Spoiler:

Cube - Celebi's Aria. A Pokémon Colosseum Masterclass
    Spoiler:

5qwerty - The Power of Piltover. A League of Legends Masterclass
    Spoiler:

Caelum
    Tyler - OBJECTION! An Ace Attorney Masterclass
    Spoiler:

Desert Stream - Tales of the Final Dragon Quest. A JRPG Masterclass
    Spoiler:

Austin - For the Alliance, or for the Horde... A World of Warcraft Masterclass
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • VIDEO GAMES TRIVIA

DAY EIGHT - April's Favourites!

So today's round is all about your favourite quizmaster - me! That's right, I hope you've been paying real good attention to what I've been quizzing you on, because it will 100% help you in this round, where I play some of my favourites for you! There will be a varying level of difficulty, so to offset that you'll be required not only to provide me the game the song is from, but also another fact about it. I will specify what that is with each song (there will be duplicates).

Today's Songs

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - First played during the game's intro.

Gran Turismo 4 - Moon Over the Castle.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Various Games - Don't Ever Forget/I Don't Want to Say Goodbye.

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker - Plays when you are traversing the Great Sea.

Rival Schools - Gorin High School Gym, characters are Shoma, Natsu and Roberto.

Phantasy Star Online Episode III: C.A.R.D Revolution - Deck Edit Theme.

Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha - Hokoto and Kairi.

Disgaea - Battle of Eight Beat.

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - Plays when a unit is promoted.

Tales of Symphonia - Zelos' theme, is first played when you encounter him for the first time in Meltokio.

Last edited:
    Years
  • VIDEO GAMES TRIVIA

DAY NINE - YOU ARE OVER-ENCUMBERED.

Today you're gunna get some mugshots of some well-known (hopefully) items to identify. All you need to do is tell me what the item is and what game/franchise/etc. it is from!

Today's Entries

ANSWERS

1. Kokiri Emerald from Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    2. Jiggy from Banjo-Kazooie
    3. Falinaught from Fire Emblem Three Houses
    4. Red Herb from Resident Evil
    5. Doppelganger from Tales of Berseria
    6. Vicello Hunting Horn from Monster Hunter Rise
    7. Excalibur II from Final Fantasy IX
    8. Fairy from Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    9. H&S25 Justice from Phantasy Star Online : Episode I & II
    10. Cardboard Box from Metal Gear Solid

Last edited:
    Years
  • VIDEO GAMES TRIVIA

DAY TEN - DUNGEONS AND LEVELS

Today's round will hopefully be a bit easier - I simply want you to tell me what dungeon/level the song is from and the game is in! I've even give you some clues about the level itself, so hopefully if you're really stuck, these will help you out!

Today's Songs

Song 1 - Hat go Sqwuak, because it's on fire!

Song 2 - Gracefully entering the space-age-cage.

Song 3 - The predecessor to Fossil Roo.

Song 4 - The final steps you and your critters take to the ultimate finale.

RSong 5 - Steel Docks.

Song 6 - Welcome to the big tent! We have bacon, pork and even some lamb!

Song 7 - Atlantis, if it were a level in a game.

Song 8 - This bird has flown through many a tempest.

Song 9 - Even a place as ruined as this can expect some rays of hope.

Song 10 - A tale of eight epic proportions.

Last edited:
    Years
  • VIDEO GAMES TRIVIA

DAY TEN - HEROES AND VILLAINS

Today you may be having to make a decision of whether you stay on the light side or go over to the dark side... just kidding, but today's theme IS Heroes and Villains! Today is but a simple crossword with the clues below for you. You can either submit entries as the answers on the list, or I have included the image so you can just fill it out and send it to me. Either works!

Today's Trivia

Video Games Trivia

CLUES

Across
    5. SPIIIN. SPIN. SPIIIIIN. ZOOOOM. - Sonic
    9. The largest and hottest turtle you'll ever see - Bowser
    10. Imagine turning your own daughter into a weapon of mass destruction... - Handsome Jack
    11. Sword Prince turned slayer of the darkest dragon - Marth
    12. Nerdy friend turned super cyborg spider killing machine - Pokey
    13. Commander of probably one of the dumbest Teams in the world? He doesn't even work out at the Gym a lot... - Giovanni
    14. No matter the flavour, they are the number one spirit - Shepard
    15. Evil capitalist rat - Tom Nook
    16. Eyes of blue, green of hat, pot in hand, smash that! - Link
    17. The Poisoner of Cities, this guy will have you dancing mad... - Kefka
    19. Whilst someone is fiddling with pipes, this guy is performing exorcisms - Luigi

Down
    1. This guy just NEVER stops going on about Virus this and Virus that - Albert Wesker
    2. The holiest of beings, cloaked in one wing of purest white - Sephiroth
    3. An unexpected ally, storming castles and turning against his own father - Alucard
    4. I'd say that he's approached his middle-life crisis twice now, we're awaiting the third! - Gordon Freeman
    6. She's fated to living in the shadows forever - Alex Roivas (Eternal Darkness, for those wondering)
    7. Rebel cowboy turned family man - John Marston
    8. Who knew the local flora could be so sentient AND bloodthirsty?! - Flowey
    11. His games will be running literal rings around you, if you're not careful - Master Chief
    18. The Eater of Worlds - now with two wings! - Alduin

Last edited:
    Years
  • VIDEO GAMES TRIVIA

FINAL DAY - VICTORY IS NEAR

It's the last round of VG Trivia! Truly sad, I know. Today's round is the last music round and we're going for the fitting theme of victory fanfares and endgame credits, to close off a truly amazing effort all around. Just give me the game for this one, as I'm feeling nice.

But wait... oh my god there's postgame DLC content?! Remember that round I missed... well I won't lie I was struggling to find a suitable bunch of songs fitting the theme, so I've decided to instead replace THAT one with our Character Themes round, so there's TWO segments to catch up on. This one I will need the Character Name AND the game the song is SPECIFICALLY from.

The good news? It's the last one, so you have until Sunday evening to get these sorted. Good luck everyone!

Today's Songs - VICTORY IS NEAR

Song 1 - Super Mario World

Song 2 - Tales of Phantasia

Song 3 - Star Fox Zero

Song 4 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Song 5 - Monster Hunter Generations

Song 6 - Pokemon X/Y

Song 7 - Lost Kingdoms

Song 8 - Final Fantasy X

Song 9 - F-Zero GX

Song 10 - Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising

Today's Songs - Bonus Pack - Character Themes

Song 1 - Lightning from FF XIII

Song 2 - Terra from FF VI

Song 3 - Ashley from Warioware (Song from Super Smash Bros. Ultimate)

Song 4 - Frog from Chrono Trigger

Song 5 - Godot from Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations

Song 6 - Xion from Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days

Song 7 - Marx from Kirby Super Star

Song 8 - Guile from Street Fighter II

Song 9 - Magilou from Tales of Berseria

Song 10 - Jun Kazama from Tekken 2

Last edited:
    Years

• VIDEO GAMES TRIVIA

THE GRAND FINALE

It is that time unfortunately - our VG Trivia has come to a close! Thanks for another great year everyone and I hope you've enjoyed it!

As per the scores below, it is Team Solum that takes the win this year! Great job guys, but efforts were valiant across the board (once Caelum woke up!).

Be prepared for more VGT madness next y- or maybe before that, who knows...

Here are the final points below!

LEADERBOARD

Solum - 660
    Aecor - 630
    Caelum - 430

Back