• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you think of 'True Crime' as a genre? Do you like it? Is it problematic etc

Years
  • Hi guys! I doubt anyone remembers me. I'm Marina, and I used to be active here a couple of years ago! I came back to find information about a ROM hack I've been playing but I figured I could post here again while I'm at it. c:

So lately I've become a really really big true crime junkie! I watch tons of true crime content and as someone into psychology I find it really fascinating and thrilling. My fav people to watch are Eleanor Neale, Danielle Kirsty and Molly Westbrook. These channels focus on the lives of the victims, or the lives of both the victim and perpetrator. I'll link their channels below if anyone's interested!

https://www.youtube.com/c/eleanorneale
    https://www.youtube.com/c/DanielleKirsty11
    https://www.youtube.com/c/MollieWestbrook

I also enjoy the other side of true crime, the more forensic side, like JCS inspired channels which focus more on the psychology of the killer while they're being interrogated. As someone into psychology it's really really interesting to see what narcissists, psychopaths and sociopaths are like being questioned.

But true crime channels definitely receive their criticism too, mainly for turning people's tragedies into profitable entertainment for other people's pleasure and I can obviously understand the ethical concerns of that, especially in situations where the family doesn't want their loved ones' murder to be aired to countless people without their permission.

The Dahmer documentary received criticism for this reason. A tweet was written by the cousin of one of the victims which said "It's retraumatizing over and over again, and for what? How many movies/shows/documentaries do we need?" and this tweet received over 400k likes. I think it's important for the family of the victims to be respected.

What are your thoughts?

Years
    • Online now
    It's an interesting genre. Although the strong romanticism of these high profile criminals is creepy.

Years
  • Hello! Things discussing genres or media would be better in "Entertainment & Media". I'm sure you'll get much more engagement!

Moving.

The Spectre

The Spectre
    Years
  • I personally enjoy True Crime in the form of television and podcast form, I used to listen to Forensic Files and 48 Hours, I recently found a new podcast (I forget the name in this moment) that goes over things of the nature of True Crime and other things along that line. Back before I would listen to Forensic Files I would watch it quite frequently.

Years
  • It's a fascinating genre for sure - having something being able to provide an insight to things that in a way most of us can't even fathom defintely scratches that curiosity itch!

Do agree that sometimes they go overboard with the glorifying of the person involved - like yes I understand some of the things they would've done to achieve what they did CAN be impressive but at the end of the day... it still a crime/crimes they committed!

soulzzii

We don't wanna watch the news, we just read statem
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2023
    i dont know if more morbid content youtubers could fall in that category - one that i watch a lot and would fall on that would be Tuv, and like zeostar mentioned theres a lot of romanticism that may happen on some channels, i guess it depends on the creator to say that those persons are still criminals, and they obvisiously commited horrible crimes, its an interesting genre nonetheless.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Definitely not a fan of the "true crime" videos on YouTube or as a genre in general. I prefer more positive content to be honest. I honestly don't think it's good for a person's mental health to constantly be subjected to negative events and content in general. It's also not mentally healthy for the victims and/or their loved ones to be subjected to the content either. I understand that the real world has morbid, gruesome things, but that doesn't mean that we need to be subjected to them, especially as a form of "entertainment." It's best to avoid those things and think positively. It's no wonder that mental health is a major issue in society.

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
  • True crime has never been my cup of tea, but to each their own. I do find it odd that this kind of content is romanticized. I watched several Youtube videos discussing the Jeffrey Dahmer documentary and the fangirls it created (???). Even if these fangirls are being satirical in their thirst for Jeffrey Dahmer (which is a phrase I never wish to say again), it's disturbing that they're romanticizing a serial killer who has eaten and killed innocent people. I really wish this was a joke.

Years
  • Yeah the sensationalism is just wild, although it seems to hook enough people in!

DEFINITELY think that saying the genre is a major factor in depression and poor mental health globally is... a wild take and that is the nicest way I can put it. Like these have been successful and that's why more are made, because enough people ARE curious about these things - they're not like forced on us to watch them!

forg

ba-dum tssss. [icon]coffee-pot[/icon]
    Years
  • I admit I'm one of the many that devour this content up. I simply enjoy learning of new cases, especially those with such odd twists and turns. Whether it's new technology being implemented, wild ways perpetrators are caught, learning what people are capable of, learning what the human body can endure… it's captivating to me.

My fav people to watch are Eleanor Neale, Danielle Kirsty and Molly Westbrook. These channels focus on the lives of the victims, or the lives of both the victim and perpetrator. I'll link their channels below if anyone's interested!

https://www.youtube.com/c/eleanorneale
    https://www.youtube.com/c/DanielleKirsty11
    https://www.youtube.com/c/MollieWestbrook

I also enjoy the other side of true crime, the more forensic side, like JCS inspired channels which focus more on the psychology of the killer while they're being interrogated. As someone into psychology it's really really interesting to see what narcissists, psychopaths and sociopaths are like being questioned.

Yo, I watch JCS as well! I'm a sucker for long run-time videos to pass the day with and this channel is quite lengthy in their psychology breakdown.

However, I'll give the three channels you linked a chance since I listen to my own, similar channels such as Hailey Elizabeth, who now has her own podcast of you prefer that medium ~

virtualpet

The Anomaly's Mewtwo
    Years
  • It's fine as long as it's handled respectfully, but many of them fall under the problems of romanticizing serial killers, over-sensationalizing things, or at times vilifying victims or suspects found to be unrelated. I also don't like how much of the time this seems to vilify mental illness, just because a serial killer has NPD, schizophrenia, autism, depression, or whatever else doesn't mean every mentally ill person would do that and in fact all of what I listed are far more likely to be the victims of violent crimes.

I think the reason I like them is because it makes it feel less scary to me. I know serial killers exist and I know that messed up things happen, especially since I live near an area which had a serial killer, but hearing people talk about it removes the mysticism and fear of it. It's the same reason I love the channel Ask a Mortician. Though sometimes it kind of overlaps with my interest in unsolved mysteries but like with that I always try to find people who actually do their research and aren't repeating the same things stated by other YouTubers or articles copying from each other.

Years
  • I like YouTube "true crime" but only two specific channels - JCS and Aurace Crime. They analyze the psychology of criminals and do not romanticize their actions.

hypn0gh0st

Rosemary / Aquacadet Saturn!
    Years
  • I think there is a fine line between being interested in true crime and then romanticizing the killers. I love true crime, I like to watch youtube videos and documentaries on various criminals. HOWEVER, i do find it very very disrespectful when someone treats the crime like it's just some youtube drama. For example, making it a mukbang or an asmr kind of video. I find that very disrespectful to the victims and the victim's families when someone doesn't treat a case with the respect it deserves.

Back