• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You hate its design, but love using it in battle

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    Personally, when playing any Pokémon game, I rarely concern myself with a Pokémon's design, as it does nothing to contribute to winning battles. However, some Pokémon are designed so badly to where I can't help but notice. For me, Amoonguss is one of such Pokémon. Nearly everything about Amoonguss's design, from its PokéBall designed mushroom cap, PokéBall designed "shields" for hands, weird mouth, and droopy eyes, makes it hard to look at for me. However, in battle, Amoonguss is great. It is very defensive, puts things to sleep with 100% accuracy using Spore, and could recover its health with every switch out with Regenerator. It's a big part of my UU team on Pokémon Showdown. What about you? What Pokémon do you love using in battle, but hate its design? You can name more than one if you need to as well.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    1. Aromatisse. Worked well at setting up Trick Room. Resists Taunt with Aroma Veil. Allows it to carry a Lum Berry instead. Kept its teammates healthy with Heal Pulse, if needed. Detests its design. Does not want some feathery cancan dancer. Would rather use Diggersby (another awful one), but only by a hair.

2. Machamp. Reserves less hate for this than its competitor, Conkeldurr. Enjoyed firing off No Guard Dynamic Punches back in the 50% confusion self-hit chance days.

Years
    • Seen today
    I'm used to simply ignoring Pokémon I don't like for their design (or whatever other reasons), no matter how strong they could be. So technically no, never been in a situation in which I had no choice but to add one of those to my team, allways found other alternatives that suited my prefferences better.

I guess the closest is Togedemaru. It's yet another uninspired Pikaclone so design-wise it has nothing to offer, and I had it in one of my playthroughs. Interesting, but I wasn't fascinated with it in particular.

Years
    Crabominable comes to mind. Looks horrendous. It packs one heck of a punch though... if only it weren't so slow.

Bruxish. Ugly as heck to me. But I gave one a try in Sun recently. One of my two strongest team Members along with Passimian.
    Strong Jaw + Psychic Fangs is a really good combo, and I gave it a Metronome to hold too :fufu:

Drampa. Slow but strong, despite the ugly design.

which are all gen 7 mons.... huh...

I'll toss in Machamp then. I've never like it's design, but I loved using it in Legends.
    Jynx as well. It's a pretty good Pokemon, with an unappealing design imo.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Personally, when playing any Pokémon game, I rarely concern myself with a Pokémon's design, as it does nothing to contribute to winning battles. However, some Pokémon are designed so badly to where I can't help but notice. For me, Amoonguss is one of such Pokémon. Nearly everything about Amoonguss's design, from its PokéBall designed mushroom cap, PokéBall designed "shields" for hands, weird mouth, and droopy eyes, makes it hard to look at for me. However, in battle, Amoonguss is great. It is very defensive, puts things to sleep with 100% accuracy using Spore, and could recover its health with every switch out with Regenerator. It's a big part of my UU team on Pokémon Showdown. What about you? What Pokémon do you love using in battle, but hate its design? You can name more than one if you need to as well.

I both like and dislike Amoonguss' design (never used it in battle) in that I like everything about it as a Unova equivalent of Electrode, yet it is unpleasant to look at, as most mushrooms are to me.

Don't get the Machamp hate, I resented it for being a trade-evo but always intended to use it once trading was available to me (although it took until 2020, yeah No Guard Dynamic Punch is fun!).

Maybe Forretress counts for this - I've never particularly been a fan, may have actually disliked it and definitely used it when I was trying out Ubers in the DP era - but mostly I don't use anything I don't like the look of, and there are very few Pokémon that still applies to after the game has been out a few months. Except maybe Drampa.

Back