• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Monotype Challenge v8, Tera Edition

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 27
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    I just got back from a trip out of town for my birthday. Garfield was really funny!
    Pokemon Fire Red Flying Type (Standard Mode) update #1:
    Spoiler: Too Much Information

Team notes:
    Spoiler: Team notes

Years
    Pokemon Legends: Earth Plate, Pt 2

Short posts for this run. The Switch Era is so strange. The trainer battles are so rare, and that's where the real challenge of a mono-run comes in. Most of PLA is just running around, throwing Pokeballs; not worth blogging. At this point, I would not recommend playing PLA as a monotype challenge. It's just not different enough from a regular playthrough. I'm debating whether to play into the postgame just for the final Volo fight.

Spoiler: Gameplay

Spoiler: Coronet Highlands Team

Last edited:
    Years
    Pokemon Legends: Earth Plate, Pt 3

Sorry for the double-post, but I finished this run on Legends Arceus. Having done a monotype run on the three non-remake Switch games, I would say...save your time and play the older games. I'm not 100% knocking the new games, but I had a much more engaging experience with Gens 1-7.

The MVP in this game would probably be Onix / Steelix. Granted, I replaced it twice, but that's a Pokémon that's consistently good, start to finish, and it's easy to catch higher-level versions to skip some grinding, as you gain more stars. Steelix is especially strong in this game because DPP was not designed with fairies in mind, and the inclusion of them in this game can be hard to deal with, if you don't have a strong Poison or Steel monster on your roster. Gliscor racked up a lot of kills too, but that's probably because I tend to lead with my lowest-level Pokémon, and it struggled to keep up, level-wise with the other guys. The inverse of this is Torterra, which probably would have been very strong, but was relegated to the back of my rotation from the moment I caught it. The other monsters all performed adequately, and they all had roles to play in critical battles near the end. I'm a little sad that I abandoned my Wormadam so early on, but once I had committed to all-alphas, there was no going back, and farming up an alpha Wormadam sounds like a nightmare.

Side note, I was watching Ronin with my wife, and playing this game during commercial breaks or English-heavy portions. That's a fun experience!

Spoiler: Gameplay

Spoiler: Coronet Highlands Team

Back