• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your starting region?

What region feels like the "starting place" for you?

• Kanto

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Johto

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Hoenn

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Sinnoh

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Unova

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Kalos

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alola

• Galar

• Paldea

• Other (e.g., outside of main canon, Mystery Dungeon, PokePark, etc.)

• Total voters
    Days
    • Seen May 28, 2024
    Edit: the poll choices have been expanded. If you chose "other" before, your vote likely went to Unova automatically. You can change your vote.

Personal anecdote (Johto)

Spoiler: long text

Last edited:
    Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Views Kanto as the starting region, personally. Began with Pokemon Red. Became the most immersed in Pokemon in that generation, between things like the anime, card game, and spinoffs. Saw Gold/Silver's trip to Kanto as a return to the old, familiar area.

Days
    I also consider Kanto as the starting point. Though my first game was Fire Red.

Since Pokémon used to come on TV during afternoon lunch and I had watched all episodes till gen-IV starting from very 1st , hence I also wanted to try out that region on my own with my team !!

And this is how I came into Pokemon and learned the battles. This is the prominent reason why I enjoy Pokémon battles even now, despite playing Pokémon GO only nowadays.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
    Mine was Hoenn, specifically Sapphire. I was too young to experience the very beginning of the Pokemon franchise, but Hoenn kinda feels like a beginning in its own right to me. When I first played a non-Hoenn game (FireRed), it felt really strange and foreign to see all these "new" Kanto Pokemon that never showed up in Hoenn.

Playing in Kanto felt like like going on an adventure somewhere far from home where the environment and everything is different, and it still kind of feels that way to me even though I've played tons of Pokemon since then, while starting up a Hoenn game always feels like returning home after a long trip abroad.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    I don't understand why Unova isn't here. I had to select "other." I am Unova, born and bred, and I'll be Unova until I'm dead! Explorer of Time above me is claiming Hoenn though. Although it is a nice place, as I did enjoy shopping in Lilycove City and hanging around his hometown Slateport City, it has nothing on Unova! Deep down, I think he knows this . . .

Days
    • Seen May 28, 2024
    I don't understand why Unova isn't here. I had to select "other." I am Unova, born and bred, and I'll be Unova until I'm dead!
    I actually wanted to include Unova as one of the choices! I forgot it when I posted and realized later that I left it out. I tried to edit the poll but it would have read "Sinnoh, other, Unova" which isn't the most logical. (Should I add it anyway? You can change your answer.) It's not possible to delete and re-post the poll without deleting the whole thread.

Edit: the poll choices have changed, thanks to Devalue. Your vote probably went to Unova!

Last edited:
    I started with Kanto and that will definitely feel like the beginning to me. Those awful back sprites lol, and the old painterly style of the anime, have a lot of charm to them and will always be considered the start of the journey. Otherwise? Maybe Hoenn. I played the games to death as a kid and it was probably when I was most passionate about the series. Kanto and Hoenn holding hands 4ever!

Years
    I also started with Gen I games, but I don't really see Kanto as my starting region. I would say Hoenn is more fitting, since Sapphire was the first game I bought with my own money. But if I could choose, I would pick either Kalos or Alola. Who wouldn't want to live in this tropical paradise?

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    I was thinking either Johto or Hoenn. But then I remembered that I hate hot temperatures. And considering that Hoenn is a tropical region that wouldn't go well with me. ^^"

I like the huge amount of lore that Johto has. It's arguably the region that had the most effort put into it in that regard.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
    Wait, did I forget to add my pronouns to my preferences page this whole time? *checks forum settings* Apparently I did. That's fixed now and I apologize for the confusion.

(For anyone reading this thread in the future, I had a male trainer card in my signature at the time I posted in this thread, because I was playing a male trainer at the time. Sweet Serenity's accidental misgendering was not in any way negligent or malicious.)

Years
    Pokemon Pearl was my first game, so it's only natural that Sinnoh feels like my starting region. To this day, generation 4 remains my untouchable favourite. <33

If I were to choose an alternate region, I'd honestly go with Kalos. Gave us Mega evolution and remains my favourite region from an aesthetic standpoint.

Years
    Though I started with Yellow and Blue Rescue Team, the first time I became fully immersed was with Diamond. Everybody at school had either Diamond or Pearl, so it was great to finally have a pokemon game that was compatible with everyone elses'. Plus, the Yellow copy I had was not initially mine and I later gave it back. Diamond was when I made my first trade too, as I traded a chansey holding the skull fossil for a shieldon. Diamond and later Platinum would be the first games were I heard rumors about secrets in a video game; like finding the 4th lake and Girantina, Rotom inside of the T.V., the Manaphy egg, and learning about RχUS, Darkrai, and Shaymin.

Setsuna

♡ I hope the world~
    Years
    My introduction to Pokemon was actually through Gen III, it was seeing stuff like Ruby and XD Gale of Darkness that taught me what Pokemon was. I never got a chance to own or play those games for myself for years, though, so I consider Diamond to be my first game. I love Hoenn a lot but Sinnoh has always felt like my home. Jubilife has always felt like my home city and I've always kinda felt like I've lived there. Gen IV was also when I spent a lot of time really learning how Pokemon works, things like learning my type matchups, learning what most moves and abilities do, and how to find specific Pokemon, so it's always felt like the one I've been the most invested in.

Years
    Kanto was my very first region with RBY. That said I played them all once and then never again.

I skipped GSC at the time lacking a GBC and the funds required so for me RSE and thus Hoenn is what feels like my starting region simply because I played those games a lot and spent way more time there =D

Back