• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why is Iron Fist so weak?

Years
    • Online now
    In light of what was established above about the 70 power high crit rate moves not being that strong (worth less than a 75 power pure damage move according to Devalue), do you still think Sharpness is too strong?
    Yeah, because it's not only the typical 70 BP slash moves that bother me, it's also how it benefits other stronger moves and their respective users.

Strongest Sharpness boosts:

Gallade:
    Sacred Sword (STAB + Sharpness) = 202,5 and also ignores Defense/Evasion boosts
    Psycho Cut (STAB +Sharpness) = 157 (+ increased Crit chance)
    Leaf Blade: 135
    X-Scissor: 120

Kleavor:
    X-Scissor (STAB +Sharpness) = 180
    Stone Axe (STAB +Sharpness) = 146 + free Stealth Rock.

Edgy Samurott:
    Razor Shell (STAB + Sharpness) = 168 + 50% Defense drop chance
    Ceaseless Edge (STAB + Sharpness) = 146 + free Spikes. Or Night Slash (157 but no Spikes)
    Sacred Sword: 135 + ignores Def/Eva boosts.

Veluza:
    Aqua Cutter and Psycho Cut. Both 157,5 (+ increased Crit chance)

Strongest Jaw boosts:

Tyrantrum:
    Psychic Fangs: 127,5
    Crunch: 120
    No STAB since there are no biting Rock or Dragon moves.

Hisuian Avalugg:
    Ice Fang (STAB + Strong Jaw): 146. Considering Avalugg is very unlikely to outspeed anything anyway, Avalanche will usually hit harder (180).

Boltund:
    Thunder Fang (STAB + Strong Jaw): 146, which is still a bit weaker than Supercell Slam (150).
    Psychic Fangs: 127,5

Drednaw:
    Crunch/Jaw Lock: 120
    Ice Fang: 97,5
    Same as Tyrantrum, no biting moves that get STAB.

Bruxish:
    Psychic Fangs: 191 (+ breaks screens). This one is OP, but Bruxish has somewhat mediocre stats.

Gumshoos:
    Hyper Fang would be its strongest move, but it no longer exists. It was a Normal move anyway... and it's Gumshoos anyway, even if it had an OP ability it would be understandable considering its stats.

Dracovish:
    Fishious Rend: (STAB + Strong Jaw) 191. Or 382 if it attacks first.
    Well, I have no words to describe how absurd this one is, but I'd rather just nerf this one move that only one Pokémon learns instead of nerfing the Ability. Because I find the Ability reasonable for the other cases, considering that the only Pokémon that gets STAB Psychic Fangs + Strong Jaw is Bruxish, and the next strongest move is Crunch, but without Mega Sharpedo none of the Strong Jaw users are Dark type.

Anyway, I'm just analyzing these Abilities in the context of what's currently available in the official games. But for a fan-game you'll have to consider what available Pokémon will have these Abilities, and which moves they can have that get affected from this.

Back