• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Teenage Pregnancy

PB.

'PB
Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2011
    What are your thoughts and Opions on teenage pregnacy?

Personally it doesnt really both me, because it doesnt effect me.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    Here's a thought, people need to stop having Premarital sex.

In reality you don't need to have sex, when you have sex outside of marriage you're letting your instincts get the better of you.

PB.

'PB
    Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2011
    Yeah, but a lot of teenagers use sex as rebelion againstthier parents and teachers who try to "control" thier life.

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
  • Ugh, this thread is going to deteriorate in... 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... >_>

Anyway, honestly, I don't care. People can screw up their own lives how they want. I have problems with people who are stupid about it, but I have problems with people who are stupid about everything. It's very easy to blame people for having unsafe sex or something, but... mistakes happen. People can do very, very idiotic things, and I don't see why they should just be left in that sort of situation. I'm not going to force my beliefs onto other people, either.

If they want to have sex at that age -- well, you can bet I'm not going to, but they should take precautions, just like everyone should take precautions, and there's no point pointing fingers at people. I'm not going to say keep it or put it up for adoption or abort it. It's the decision for the woman to make, and also the other parties involved. I wish people would take more responsibility for said decisions, but humans are weak in that respect. Sometimes, although prevention would be ideal, all you can do is work on a cure. [Speaking metaphorically.]

It happens; I think society is at a point where we should stop being all horrified by it and accept it as a timeless happening, something we should aim to prevent ideally, but not something we should shun or judge others for. :/ I personally think pro-abstinence education is pretty stupid, as all it does is leave you unprepared.

And then there's rape. She doesn't always CHOOSE for this to happen. And, hey, birth control and other forms of contraception can fail. It's very easy to generalise and give a blanket dismissal, but there are so many possible situations that I don't think one 'universal solution' exists.

ETA: I do think education is the key here. Not lecturing, not moralising, but saying, 'here's how to use a condom; sharing bath water does not make you pregnant; take health checks when commencing sexual activity and practise safe sex to avoid STDs or unwanted pregnancies'. A lot of teenagers are very, very immature and ignorant.

And, even if ignorance is a stupid excuse, applying theories like that to practical situations accomplishes nothing.

*gets off soapbox*

Last edited:

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
  • Alright, while I am not opposed to having premarital sex, I am opposed to having unprotected sex. Just the other day, my friend had a pregnancy scare and three weeks before my other friend did. Even though they know the consequence, they took the risk. I believe that if you have to have sex, atleast use some contraception. I mean albeit the pregnancies there are many other problems that could occur.

Kylie-chan

Years
  • Alright, while I am not opposed to having premarital sex, I am opposed to having unprotected sex. Just the other day, my friend had a pregnancy scare and three weeks before my other friend did. Even though they know the consequence, they took the risk. I believe that if you have to have sex, atleast use some contraception. I mean albeit the pregnancies there are many other problems that could occur.

I agree, but people also need to learn how to use their contraception correctly. None are completely foolproof, but a lot of people are VERY naïve, apathetic, and/or believe whatever urban myth is floating around/it could never happen to THEM.

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
  • I agree, but people also need to learn how to use their contraception correctly. None are completely foolproof, but a lot of people are VERY naïve, apathetic, and/or believe whatever urban myth is floating around/it could never happen to THEM.
    Completely true, and the worst part is alot of our friends HAVE had this happen to them and they still insist on not using birth control or condems.

pink-tiger

Love in the Air
    Years
  • Here's a thought, people need to stop having Premarital sex.

In reality you don't need to have sex, when you have sex outside of marriage you're letting your instincts get the better of you.

Well im with you.Its just that its bad wheny ou get marry and have to tell your husban if your a virgine or what.Also to me, when I see pregnant girls..I loose all respect for them.

22sa

ロミオとシンデレ? ?? �� �� �� �� �� �� �� ��
    Years
  • Hahahahahahaha! My opinion... they were having fun.

I do dislike the idea of a person sleeping with someone they don't intend to marry intensely though. Like pink said, not being able to give your virginity to the person you marry is really sad.

But the actual person who makes love at a young age, to my experience, isn't half-bad! They are all very charming and loving and that's why they got in bed early, just their choice of partner usually wasn't good enough.

Brad

The Paper Fastener
    Years
  • Abortion, abortion, solve all of your problems right there! Kill your baby, and maybe, you won't have a pregnancy scare- to the tune of "Pollution" by Tom Lehrer.

No, not that. I think that people just should wait until marriage. I mean, whats the point of getting stuck with some stupid kid because of 1 one night stand. I mean, who the hell wants to pay child support? I sure don't. Besides, I'm so creul and heartless, no one would ever want me...

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years

• Well im with you.Its just that its bad wheny ou get marry and have to tell your husban if your a virgine or what.Also to me, when I see pregnant girls..I loose all respect for them.

That's harsh. Really harsh, in fact. To lose respect for someone after one mistake (or a bad decision that degenerated into a whole chain of idiot decisions) isn't entirely right. I wouldn't particularly hold up a pregnant teenager as a role model, but I respect her as a human being and I want to offer her help to the best of my ability. One of my friends is pregnant currently. She baby-sat me and my younger sisters, she's taught me a lot about walking with God, and she's been a huge encouragement. She went to college, hung out with the wrong people, and now she's paying for her mistakes. She's sorry, she knows what she did was wrong, and she thinks that she's failed me and my sisters as a mentor. I respect her still because she understands why what she did was wrong and she wants forgiveness. She's even understood the consequences of her actions and accepted them. To me, that makes her someone to be admired. She's repented, she's been forgiven, she's accepted the consequences of her actions. It's over and done with, simple as that. All that's left to say is "Go thou and sin no more."

My own views on teenage pregnancy stem from my religion and what I know of the Bible. Yes, teenage pregnancy is wrong. Extramarital sex is wrong. There is a reason that precautions need to be taken when performing it: having sex with too many people too early is dangerous. Your life could be changed in an instant. As for abortion as a method of dealing with early pregnancy, it is not a good move. There exists, currently, at least one foundation that was formed to shelter and counsel women who've had abortions and feel that what they've done was wrong. If there wasn't some sort of moral twitch felt when we aborted children, why would a foundation such as this exist? In addition, abortion could be traumatic for children born later. If you knew your parents had an abortion before you were born, wouldn't it send the message that if you too had been conceived before it was convenient, they would have killed you too? Let me make a point by saying that I object to abortion on the grounds that it is truly murder. Babies have hearts before the period at which abortion is legal is expired. They have fingers. They... on second thought, I'll save my discourse on abortion for another thread because if I pick up steam I can completely run over everyone in my path.

Okay, next article on the business list. My views on the whole "safe sex" thing are that there is no such thing. There's always a chance that something will go wrong. Either you do the smart thing and abstain, or you take the risk and accept your consequences. If you do make the wrong decision, you'd better be willing to accept whatever comes after. That includes pregnancy. If you're a Christian, it'll probably include some form of discipline from the elders until you show repentance and true "brokeness of spirit" (i.e., you won't be taking communion/mass until you are saddened by what you've done). Afterwards, you're welcomed back. I don't think someone becomes evil or sub-human in some way after having premarital sex and becoming pregnant, I just think it's a wrong action and will and should involve some form of consequence.

If the pregnancy is a result of a rape, that's another matter. The hard part of this is that I really believe that abortion for any situation is wrong. If you are raped and truly don't want the child, adoption is the only acceptable answer in the eyes of the church. It hurts and you will suffer in ways that I really can't begin to imagine, but it's just going to be another test that you'll have to overcome. It sounds callous when I say it like that, but that's the facts. You can accept them or reject them. Just accept the consequences afterward for whatever decision you make.

Kylie-chan

Years
  • That's harsh. Really harsh, in fact. To lose respect for someone after one mistake (or a bad decision that degenerated into a whole chain of idiot decisions) isn't entirely right. I wouldn't particularly hold up a pregnant teenager as a role model, but I respect her as a human being and I want to offer her help to the best of my ability. One of my friends is pregnant currently. She baby-sat me and my younger sisters, she's taught me a lot about walking with God, and she's been a huge encouragement. She went to college, hung out with the wrong people, and now she's paying for her mistakes. She's sorry, she knows what she did was wrong, and she thinks that she's failed me and my sisters as a mentor. I respect her still because she understands why what she did was wrong and she wants forgiveness. She's even understood the consequences of her actions and accepted them. To me, that makes her someone to be admired. She's repented, she's been forgiven, she's accepted the consequences of her actions. It's over and done with, simple as that. All that's left to say is "Go thou and sin no more."

My own views on teenage pregnancy stem from my religion and what I know of the Bible. Yes, teenage pregnancy is wrong. Extramarital sex is wrong. There is a reason that precautions need to be taken when performing it: having sex with too many people too early is dangerous. Your life could be changed in an instant. As for abortion as a method of dealing with early pregnancy, it is not a good move. There exists, currently, at least one foundation that was formed to shelter and counsel women who've had abortions and feel that what they've done was wrong. If there wasn't some sort of moral twitch felt when we aborted children, why would a foundation such as this exist? In addition, abortion could be traumatic for children born later. If you knew your parents had an abortion before you were born, wouldn't it send the message that if you too had been conceived before it was convenient, they would have killed you too? Let me make a point by saying that I object to abortion on the grounds that it is truly murder. Babies have hearts before the period at which abortion is legal is expired. They have fingers. They... on second thought, I'll save my discourse on abortion for another thread because if I pick up steam I can completely run over everyone in my path.

Okay, next article on the business list. My views on the whole "safe sex" thing are that there is no such thing. There's always a chance that something will go wrong. Either you do the smart thing and abstain, or you take the risk and accept your consequences. If you do make the wrong decision, you'd better be willing to accept whatever comes after. That includes pregnancy. If you're a Christian, it'll probably include some form of discipline from the elders until you show repentance and true "brokeness of spirit" (i.e., you won't be taking communion/mass until you are saddened by what you've done). Afterwards, you're welcomed back. I don't think someone becomes evil or sub-human in some way after having premarital sex and becoming pregnant, I just think it's a wrong action and will and should involve some form of consequence.

If the pregnancy is a result of a rape, that's another matter. The hard part of this is that I really believe that abortion for any situation is wrong. If you are raped and truly don't want the child, adoption is the only acceptable answer in the eyes of the church. It hurts and you will suffer in ways that I really can't begin to imagine, but it's just going to be another test that you'll have to overcome. It sounds callous when I say it like that, but that's the facts. You can accept them or reject them. Just accept the consequences afterward for whatever decision you make.

All actions have consequences.

However, while this is has nothing to do with your personal beliefs, the teachings of the Church aren't fact, because their teachings are religious. I'm honestly not sure if you're saying the views of the Church are fact and law and should be accepted and followed by all, or just stating the views of the Church, to be honest.

But, to me, it seems a case of 'easier said than done'. People deal differently with things, and it's unreasonable to hold them all to one standard. Mistakes happen. People fail those 'tests', if you'd prefer to phrase it that way. It's not just a matter of 'you must overcome it' and one overcomes it.

However, I agree with your point to pink-tiger. I think my posts in this thread have expressed my belief of 'mistakes happen'.

ETA: Sorry, I missed a chunk of your post.

Of course most women feel moral twitches when aborting their foetuses; it isn't a simple act. People seem to believe that it's an easy act, that women just walk into a clinic and abort it rather than wear birth control. I won't continue with the abortion debate, as I, too, have great passion about the subject and will debate it until the end -- however, the abortion debate is always going to be linked with the teenage pregnancy debate. I will refute your paragraph, however, to the best of my ability.

The truth of the matter is that it isn't killing. It's not infanticide. It's aborting a foetus, not killing a baby. Sure, it might traumatise some kids -- that's expected. But, with your reasoning, that's just another test these people have to overcome. It isn't that easy for most people to walk into an abortion clinic and say 'Abort it, NOW'. These foundations exist because some women knee-jerk, or later forget the circumstances they were in and want their baby when they're in a more stable environment, or were even pressured to abortion. Those are just three of the many possibilities. But the existence of those foundations isn't proof that it's wrong, and neither is a moral twitch. Sometimes you just have to suck it up [the moral twitch] and do what you know is right for you. That right is subjective. It's not for other people to decide. If these foundations exist as proof of the immorality of the action, why do pro-choice foundations exist? Why do sites like I'm Not Sorry exist? [I'm Not Sorry is a site full of women posting their abortion stories, the ones who don't regret their decision.] The answer to this is because that right is subjective, varies from person to person.

I sympathise with any woman who regrets her abortion; I do not think the actions of these women should determine the reproductive rights of another woman. We don't need protecting -- maybe some of us can't make these sorts of decisions rationally, but, in the end, to me, people are always going to have something to regret. Some regrets are bigger regrets than others, but you yourself stated that people must take responsibility for their actions. And that logic applies to the pro-choice argument as well.

Last edited:

Xairmo

G-String Grandmas, tonight on Sick, Sad World
    Years
  • Well I just think that they should learn to use a friggin condom T.T
    Teens shouldnt be having sex until like 19. You dont need to be married, just in love. Yeah cheesy i know but thats what i think.

The Infinite Devil Machine

Obvious, with hindsight
    Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2020
    Here's a thought, people need to stop having Premarital sex.

That's completely unrealistic. People have urges and desires. Pre-marital sex is sex. One and the same. Teenage Pregnancy happens, these girls need help and support. They don't need to be shunned.

Lady Nicole

hello o.o
    Years
  • I do dislike the idea of a person sleeping with someone they don't intend to marry intensely though. Like pink said, not being able to give your virginity to the person you marry is really sad.

I agree with this. Why have sex with someone you don't love and trust to the max? I wouldn't :\

Xairmo

Years
  • That's completely unrealistic. People have urges and desires. Pre-marital sex is sex. One and the same. Teenage Pregnancy happens, these girls need help and support. They don't need to be shunned.
    I agree, they know what they did wrong so dont make it worse by shoving it in their face T.T
    We all make mistakes people. And like Nightwing said, we all have urges. Some of us can just control their urges better

PunkerThanThou

way too punx for giraffes.
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 31, 2008
    Well I just think that they should learn to use a friggin condom T.T
    Teens shouldnt be having sex until like 19. You dont need to be married, just in love. Yeah cheesy i know but thats what i think.
    I kind of agree.
    I've also done some major thinking about this topic because I'm adopted so I'm kind of the product of what could have been accidental pregnancy. It makes you speculate. A lot.
    I think if you want to even consider having sex, you need to know what you're getting yourself into, and whether you're ready for it. If teens actually considered this and took sex seriously, I think all of these teen pregnancies would decrease. I think we also tend to belittle what sex actually is. It's a deep, serious thing that isn't just meant to be given out like candy or whatever. People treat it that way. It's something special that really, probably should be saved until marriage, but that is essentially a different discussion.

Xairmo

Years
  • I kind of agree.
    I've also done some major thinking about this topic because I'm adopted so I'm kind of the product of what could have been accidental pregnancy. It makes you speculate. A lot.
    I think if you want to even consider having sex, you need to know what you're getting yourself into, and whether you're ready for it. If teens actually considered this and took sex seriously, I think all of these teen pregnancies would decrease. I think we also tend to belittle what sex actually is. It's a deep, serious thing that isn't just meant to be given out like candy or whatever. People treat it that way. It's something special that really, probably should be saved until marriage, but that is essentially a different discussion.
    OMG yes! They dont understand that sex isnt just sex. its being so extremely close to someone that you literally let someone inside of you and leave apart of you with them and vice versa.

PunkerThanThou

way too punx for giraffes.
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 31, 2008
    OMG yes! They dont understand that sex isnt just sex. its being so extremely close to someone that you literally let someone inside of you and leave apart of you with them and vice versa.

YES. This is one of the simple reasons I appreciate some religions, because my religion, Judaism, values sex IMMENSELY. It is NOT something to be given out to EXCEPT for your husband/wife. It's an emotional, spiritual, and bonding experience. And I don't think a one day fling adds up to these things, at all, and it aggravates me that this is the maturity level of people my age these days.

Back