• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Golden Boys Scanscription - by Unown_ & Maxim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxim

Heavy Metal Alchemist
Years
  • INTRODUCTION
    Hello, I'm Maxim! It's my first scanslation project (not the first try to do one, but the first that went somewhere), so don't expect any masterpiece. It's a scanslation of Golden Boys from Cantonese Chinese. Not really. It's a Chuang Yi scanscription done on Cantonese Scans scanned by Unown_. I know there are some cleaning flaws (I'm far from perfect in cleaning) and I realise it well. But if you notice some other flaw (like empty speech bubble, or something like that), report it to me immediately, As for now, I'll be uploading those scans to Imageshack (not Photobucket, because it resizes). But when I finish the first volume, I'll upload it to SendSpace (or other stuff like that) as a .zip file. Then, I'll do Volume Two, and then Volume Three (if Unown_ ever scans it). So, be patient. More soon.

CREDITS
    Original Scan - Unown_
    English Edition - Maxim (through Chuang Yi Translations)
    Final Release of Volume 1 is going to be cleaned by KazukiPP. So, it will look much better than current scans!

You may put the scans on other forums (but not on sites, please), but you HAVE TO give a credit to both me and Unown_ and post a link to the original thread (either at Bulbagarden or PokeCommunity).

ABOUT THE TRANSLATION
    It's a scanscription of Chuang Yi Translation done on Cantonese Scans. You'll notice a few slight differences between this scan and actual Chuang Yi translation because I corrected their mistakes and cut the text a bit if it didn't fit the bubbles. I didn't replace SFX, because I don't have any good font to do this (keep in mind that Chuang Yi kept Japanese SFX in their translations). But I hope you may live with these Hanzi Characters in the comic. I also did not use the accented e in Pokémon because it's a pain in butt. I hope you can live without that, too. The first two pages were paintfully edited in Paint (sorry for that), but for further pages I used Photoshop for cleaning. Hence it's a Chuang Yi Scanscription, I used English names for everything. And I'm not gonna do an alternate version with Japanese names, Sorry.

ABOUT THE MANGA
    The Golden Boys manga is not related to Pokemon Special in any way, which doesn't mean it's a fanmade doujinshi. It is a real, licensed and official manga drawn by Muneo Saito. It's based on Pokemon Gold/Silver games, but ends in Cianwood (lack of popularity? author was bored? dunno.). You may like it or not...

SCANS
    And finally, the best part. Something you awaited. The scans! One more time, I did not scan those. The original scan was made by Unown_ (kudos to him), I'm just a scanscriptor!

Volume 1

Cover (Hong Kongese, not edited in any way)
    Title Page
    Main Characters

Chapter 1 - Let's Go! The Journey Towards The Championship

Contents & Page 5
    Page 6 & 7
    Page 8 & 9
    Page 10 & 11
    Page 12 & 13
    Page 14 & 15
    Page 16 & 17
    Page 18 & 19
    Page 20 & 21
    Page 22 & 23
    Page 24 & 25
    Page 26 & 27

Chapter 2 - Falkner, The Bird Keeper's Challenge!!
    Page 28 & 29
    Page 30 & 31
    Page 32 & 33
    Page 34 & 35
    Page 36 & 37
    Page 38 & 39
    Page 40 & 41
    Page 42 & 43
    Page 44 & 45
    Page 46 & 47
    Page 48 & 49
    Page 50 & 51

Chapter 3 - The Legendary Pokemon Appears!!
    Page 52 & 53
    Page 54 & 55
    Page 56 & 57
    Page 58 & 59
    Page 60 & 61
    Page 62 & 63
    Page 64 & 65
    Page 66 & 67
    Page 68 & 69
    Page 70 & 71
    Page 72 & 73
    Page 74 & 75

Chapter 4 - Let's Aim For The Goal
    Page 75
    Page 76 & 77
    Page 78 &79
    Page 80 & 81
    Page 82 & 83
    Page 84 & 85
    Page 86 & 87
    Page 88 & 89
    Page 90 & 91
    Page 92 & 93
    Page 94 & 95

Chapter 5 - Extreme Power! The Friday Pokemon! (is it just me, or "Friday Pokemon" sounds dumb?) NEW!
    Page 96 & 97
    Page 98 & 99
    Page 100 & 101
    Page 102 & 103
    Page 104 & 105
    Page 106 & 107 (has a big flaw, but to correct it, I would have to rasterize the font, which I don't want to do...)
    Page 108 & 109
    Page 110 & 111
    Page 112 & 113
    Page 114 & 115
    Page 116

That's all I have for now. I will add more, as I translate more. When I finish a volume, I'll upload the entire volume to SendSpace (and other stuff) as a zip. So, watch this space, see ya on the next update!

One more problem I forgot to tell: I need a better font. Who has a font that looks good on a comic scans? Because my current one sucks. The next chapters will be released in a new font (I'll redo the first chapter when I finish first volume). All my scanslations since Chapter 2 are now being done in Karmatic Revolution font. I will redo Chapter 1 when I finish the rest of Volume 1.

~Maxim

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2008
    Yaaaaay Pokemon manga!

blambot.com has a lot of free comic fonts. I use AnimeAce, which is pretty popular with scanlators. Wildwords is also really popular, but it costs money.

Maxim

Heavy Metal Alchemist
    Years
  • Yaaaaay Pokemon manga!

blambot.com has a lot of free comic fonts. I use AnimeAce, which is pretty popular with scanlators. Wildwords is also really popular, but it costs money.

I just decided to use Karmatic Revolution.

I know Anime Ace because I used it to do Polish scanslations of Pokemon Special in past (but this was a failed project and someone beat me to this). And it looked ugly because of rasterisation. The font I choose doesn't rasterise (for some reason) and looks good.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    This was a great idea, you two. I've always wondered what the Golden Boys really were. It's not as good-looking as PokéSpecial, clearly ^^
    Thanks for uploading this.

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2009
    OHMIGOSH!! Thank you SOOOOO much!! I've been looking for this manga EVERYWHERE!!

I love Special, but it's nice to see Silver/Black with his gameversey personality. :3

Thanks again!! :D

kazukiPP

Manga Fan
    Years
  • Thank you so much for this manga, but.... [yeah, but...] scans isn´t very cleans. If you want I can help cleaning scans. Right now I am cleaning vol 11 scans for scanslate project, but I can with this too.

PM me if you want.

Main characters:
    img406.imageshack.us/img406/6689/p002qv5ik6.jpg

A little edit with shadows ^^

Maxim

Heavy Metal Alchemist
    Years
  • Thank you so much for this manga, but.... [yeah, but...] scans isn´t very cleans. If you want I can help cleaning scans. Right now I am cleaning vol 11 scans for scanslate project, but I can with this too.

PM me if you want.

Main characters:
    img406.imageshack.us/img406/6689/p002qv5ik6.jpg

A little edit with shadows ^^

Okay. But I'll do this after I finish volume 1. As for now, I'm doing a clean enough to put the text into the bubbles (without unneeded uglyness). After I do all the chapters, I'll give them to you to re-clean. I like your cleaning.

My project is something that evolves.
    It begun as a Paint project with a lousy font and without any cleaning.
    Then, it became a Photoshop project with lousy font and minimal cleaning.
    Then, it became a Photoshop project with nice font and minimal cleaning.
    And after I finish volume 1 it will be clean project with nice font and professional cleaning.

Umbreon Ruler

Like clockwork
    Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2010
    Wow, I've read about the Golden Boys manga around the net, but I never thought I'd actually read it. It was always like a distant story, fascinating, but not real. And now I can actually see it. Thank you so much for this. ;)

Maxim

Heavy Metal Alchemist
    Years
  • YES! It's here!

Chapter 2 is up!

I know it's a little slow but editing is more work than scanning. It takes much more time.

UPDATE: Chapter 3 up. I hope someone posts this thread soon, because I don't want it to overdue.

Last edited:

Apathetic_Yen

very original
    Years
  • thanx for the scans. By the way when is Unown_ going to scan vol 3? That's what ive been anticipating the most

Maxim

Heavy Metal Alchemist
    Years
  • thanx for the scans. By the way when is Unown_ going to scan vol 3? That's what ive been anticipating the most

I don't really know. I haven't seen Unown_ since long time. Well, I don't contact him. He just posts scans and I scanslate them. We aren't a team... But I'll ask him, I'll ask him.

Tomorrow, I'm going to have a very unpleasant scan (not a manga scan xP) which will tell if that strange thing I got under my tongue is endangering me.

Well, If I die because of it there won't be any scanslations anymore...

Last edited:

Apathetic_Yen

very original
    Years
  • I don't really know. I haven't seen Unown_ since long time. Well, I don't contact him. He just posts scans and I scanslate them. We aren't a team... But I'll ask him, I'll ask him.

Tomorrow, I'm going to have a very unpleasant scan (not a manga scan xP) which will tell if that strange thing I got under my tongue is endangering me.

Well, If I die because of it there won't be any scanslations anymore...

whoa sory about that, hope it isnt bad or anything

Maxim

Heavy Metal Alchemist
    Years
  • Yes. Something you awaited...

The Chapter 4 is up! Now, I have half the first volume done. But it's not the end! It's not gonna end soon!

Enjoy it and wait for more!

~Maxim

Unown_

Sep.2003 - Mar.2010. Resigned
    Years
  • Volume 3 has been uploaded. http://www.sendspace.com/file/lo5uhu
    The files are saved as loseless TIFF images with ZIP layer compression. This should result in less artifacts when Maxim saves them to JPEG.

there was a little accident with file p004. I've manage to restore it to a level where only the text in the bubble is missing.

Apathetic_Yen

very original
    Years
  • Volume 3 has been uploaded. http://www.sendspace.com/file/lo5uhu
    The files are saved as loseless TIFF images with ZIP layer compression. This should result in less artifacts when Maxim saves them to JPEG.

there was a little accident with file p004. I've manage to restore it to a level where only the text in the bubble is missing.

finally vol 3!!!! 2 bad it stops there, the manga was finally getting interesting

Maxim

Heavy Metal Alchemist
    Years
  • Sorry for being slow.

It has been awhile since my last update.

And, sadly, I still have yet to complete Chapter 5.

Why am I so slow? Lack of time, I'm also feeling ill lately. It's probably just a cold, but even in such a small ilness, my brain doesn't work fully.

Well, that's all I wanted to say. That I haven't forgotten about the project, nor did I stop that. And now, since Unown_ scanned Volume 3 you may be certain I'll do the COMPLETE scanscription. But not today.

Don't lose your faith, I'll post Chapter 5 as soon as possible.

kazukiPP

Manga Fan
    Years
  • Maxim, will you continue with this project? Or if you want I can do typesetting (apply translations on scans) I´m on vacations so I have free time to do it. Just send to me the translations. PMme if you want. ^^

Maxim

Heavy Metal Alchemist
    Years
  • Maxim, will you continue with this project? Or if you want I can do typesetting (apply translations on scans) I´m on vacations so I have free time to do it. Just send to me the translations. PMme if you want. ^^

Me at Bulbagarden said:
    My thread on PokeCommunity already got old, I had no feedback there, which made me thnk that my project is useless.

My school sucks, my music teacher is an *******. Most of teachers in my school are *******s. I have lots of ****ass work and bad marks (from several subjects). And I'm surrounded by *******s, who make me think I am useless.

Those (and several other) things bring the possiblity that my project will never be finished.

This post explains for itself, doesn't it?

I'm not in the "Scanning mood" lately.

And are you aware you just reviced an old thread? Don't worry, It's okay. I think....

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back