PDA

View Full Version : I am currently away

Soul Eater
February 11th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Do you usaully leave MSN on all day or do you log off MSN?

In other words, do you prefer using the statuses that are there on MSN or do you log off and come back when you know you'll be on? (Also it doesnt have to be just MSN, if you dont use MSN and you use Yahoo or AIM or something else...those count as well)

For me, I dont bother logging off MSN if I know I wont be gone for a long time. To me, I think its just a waste of time logging off if your only going to be gone for five minutes or something...a day I can see but just because you have homework to do and you are busy with it or you are playing a game, you shouldn't have to log off. Why else do they keep give you options for statuses such as busy, away or idle? They are there to keep you from just flat out logging off and telling people you cant take but you can soon.

Tr@ce
February 11th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Well, with AIM, I don't stay on, but that's only because I have dialup, and it can tie up the phone line. It suuucccks. I'd stay on if I could.

Twinx
February 11th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Well ya, sometimes I even go to uni and leave my msn on with an away status and I even say in the PM: "I'm not here, leave a message after the beep :P"

Problem is, some people just don't read and they just think I'm ignoring them, so I'm sticking with "Appear Offline" for now...

Astinus
February 11th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I mostly stay in "Appear Offline" for MSN. It's less annoying to me to do so. I can only IM the people I want to talk to, and quickly leave when I don't want to talk to anyone. It's much easier than signing on and telling everyone that I either don't want to talk to them or that I really want to sign off and play my game.

I'm signed in all day. I just remain invisible.

Saryka
February 11th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I'm online all the time for MSN and AIM. I love talking to people and I can't be bothered setting myself to Appear Offline/Invisible unless I'm actually busy.

Cassino
February 11th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I'm signed in all day. I just remain invisible.
That be why I never see you then. xD

When gaming, I usually sign out of MSN and on to Xfire (MSN uses CPU power from time to time, may cause lag, etc.).
All other times, I'm on MSN. I appear online unless I actually am busy or away.

I never appear offline, since if I'm online, I'm online... Setting one's status to "appear offline" perpetually is like regularly walking in to and out of a room filled with people while wearing a shirt that reads "I'm not here".

Chikara
February 11th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Well I stay logged in if I'm running errands or something. But while I'm at school, and when I can't be bothered with MSN, I sign out.

It's the proper thing to do (b' ')b

Azonic
February 11th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I don't have AIM or MSN or any of that stuff :/

i have a life, y'know

xD

Wish
February 11th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I just leave my computers on when I am gone. Same thing with YIM. I'm too lazy to turn off the computer and turn it on a few hours later. So it usually says I'm "Idle" It shows me as away anyway.

I never use the "Appear Offline" option with the same reason as above.

Obito.
February 11th, 2008, 03:25 PM
i leave my msn and yim and stuff on all the time, even when im not there XD

i sometimes make it say away if i remember XD

Gerri Shin
February 11th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I always log off, cuz I rarely ever use my trill IM that often.
though last time I checked I had this as my away message:
"Sorry I'm away building a 12 foot long Hoagie, be back when I can fit it in the oven for toasting"

Zorua
February 11th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I get off of MSN. If I still had my laptop, then I'd just leave it on away and whatever. But this is a public computer so like..yeah.

mystletainn
February 11th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I'm like always online. But I use away messages and stuff. If I'm in my dorm, I'm online. Unless I'm sleeping or doing homework.

Morkula
February 11th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I sign into MSN when I get home and I just leave it signed in until I go to bed - I'll either change my status or just Idle whenever I go off to do something else. If I'm leaving for more than an hour or two I'll sign out, but most of the time I'll just leave it online.

usami
February 11th, 2008, 07:35 PM
If I feel like opening it, I'll just leave it on all day (Probably on appear offline), I don't set myself to away manually, I just let it to that itself.

I also don't usually close the program unless I restart my computer. But I don't reopen it half the time after that.
However, I never log off of AIM unless I'm feeling pissy, and it sets me to away when I lock my computer, so I don't do it manually there, either.

Ayano Katagiri
February 11th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I usually just leave mine on when I'm not by the computer, only because I'm too lazy to close it down. XD But I do change my status to Busy, as I installed a keyboard shortcut for it....

Gummy
February 11th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I ahve a lot of custom made away messages for AIM, most of them being jokes. Sometime sI put my away message up even though I'm still at the computer.

Sammi
February 12th, 2008, 12:06 AM
When I have MSN, I usually log off when I'm not there, with exception of short trips where I know I'll be back on the computer when I get back. I just like it better that way. ._.

Pikabloo
February 12th, 2008, 01:21 AM
I usually log off when I'm not at the computer, since my brother has to use it or something like that. But other than that, I just stay online. The only exception to that is when I just have to go off for a few moments, then I use the Away status, or Appear Offline one.

Razer302
February 12th, 2008, 01:25 AM
I normally sign out or go to appear offline. I don't leave my computer on when I am not using it. my mum doesn't like it when I do. but I will be leaving it on so I can download shows and movies when we get rid of sky.

I don't use any of the other statuses unless a game I am playing automatically puts me on busy.

Suki
February 12th, 2008, 01:28 AM
I prefer just being on when I'm there and not use statuses often, but maybe if I go toilet. I don't use statuses even then actually. I use it statuses when I'm on msn on the DS so that my boyfriend knows I'm online but just away and waiting for him. Plus I have a timer so I log out when I'm not on.

~Swish~
February 12th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I'm usually on the computer alllll day, except for mealtimes and comfort breaks =P. Meals and other stuff I'll leave MSN on and just have my status as Away, or Out To Lunch.

The only times I really turn the computer off are when I have to go to uni, basketball training/match, any random event, and of course bedtime.

Sylphiel
February 12th, 2008, 02:49 PM
For the most part, even though I don't get a lot of people messaging me over MSN, I still leave it on all day in case someone wants/needs to talk to me (or I want/need to talk to someone). I'll just set it to away if I know for certain I'll be gone for a bit, or if I'm going to sleep (though there are some times when I forget to do that, whoops).

The only times I'll log off and stay off MSN are when I'm away on vacation, or when I have one of my periods of...I dunno, I guess I'd call it disinterest. Those happen especially whenever I have someone visiting here or when I have my attention directed at something for good deal of time (such as if I'm trying to play a game, and don't want to be bothered too much).

Went
February 13th, 2008, 05:46 AM
I usually put it in "Appear offline", since most of the time I have it on just to see if I have a new email. If my friends want to contact me, they can always leave me a message for when I'm on.

Shiny Umbreon
February 13th, 2008, 10:27 AM
If I'm online, I'm in the mood to talk. I put Busy if I'm doing something at the moment that may cause me to reply slowly. Away if I'm just eating, or whatever, but means I'll get back soon. I put offline if I'm taking my time, or if I just don't want to be on MSN. =/

Warheart
February 13th, 2008, 10:42 AM
When i am on, I'm usually set to "Appear offline," and only IM the people who I actually feel like talking to. I'm always trying to avoid people for some reason ._.

When I'm away for long periods of time (like..more than 3 hours), I'll usually just shut my computer off, otherwise, I'll just slap on an "away" status.

Lo-chan
February 13th, 2008, 02:10 PM
If Im just going to be away for a hour or shorter, then Ill just leave it on. On school days or longer Ill just turn off the computer. Waste of energy and my computer screws up if I just leave it on for so long D:

Ausaudriel
February 13th, 2008, 02:13 PM
My laptop is really screwed up and dies constantly on its own, so I can't leave myself connected. 8(

If I had a better computer I'd just leave myself signed in and set to away, but eh. D:

Melody
February 15th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I rarely sign out on MSN. I usually just 'Appear offline' when I'm not near the computer.
On yahoo and AIM I dont use them often. and I have skype but I dont sign into that much either.
Anyways I use busy and away statuses when I need to while using the computer.

mewthree w/armor
February 16th, 2008, 06:24 AM
I log off because my computer is to loud to leave on when I leave for a long period, loud but powerful. XD

Eon-Rider
February 16th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Argh! Get it right everyone! The MSN era is over; it's the WLM era now so stop calling it MSN. >_>

As for me my status is Online most of the time even when I'm not there.

Kyoko
February 16th, 2008, 07:33 AM
I'm on my parent's computer again so I want to sign out x_x but when I'm online on my computer, I'm almost always appearing offline until I feel like talking. Though during school and when I go to bed, I log off.

Aegis
February 16th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I usually log off when I'm going to be gone for more then five or so minutes. I use a laptop, and when I close it it looses it's internet connection. I could leave it open, but half the time one of my parents will come along and close it, so I just figure I'll go ahead and do it.

Crystal Clair
February 16th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I'm usually logged on. Only when I go to bed/leave for school do I log off msn and I have to because I hibernate my laptop.

it's kind of annoying to set statuses though, dont know how some people do it so much.

Michii
February 16th, 2008, 07:33 PM
When I'm on the computer, everything is on. When I'm off, I shut everything down. Including MSN.

Virtual Chatot
February 16th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Its always on, my family even has a backup generator so even when the power goes out it is still on

mewthree w/armor
February 16th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Argh! Get it right everyone! The MSN era is over; it's the WLM era now so stop calling it MSN. >_>

As for me my status is Online most of the time even when I'm not there.

And soon the MSN/WLM era will be over, because it will be the YIM era after the merger happens XD.

For me it'll be MSN just about forever.

Tangerine Fox
February 16th, 2008, 10:58 PM
I'm never on that long -- Even when I do go on, it's usually set to "busy" or "off line"...just because. That way I can talk to people I want to talk to, without having to keep up with a bunch of conversations.

I knew a few people who'd stay on AIM/MSN for WEEKS. No lie -- it was weird. Heck, I don't keep my computer on whenever I'm not using it because it wastes electricity. D|

Aizuke
February 17th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Usually I leave myself logged in. Well during the day, I use to overnight, but there wasn't really a point. People would IM me, which was a bother since I'm sleeping.. Am I going to really reply?

And if I'm away, I usually put a status up, like I'm not here or something. But sometimes I'm just lazy and leave it to idle.

Jubilation
February 17th, 2008, 03:19 AM
I don't, I just say "Brb in like 10", it's less annoying

+Sneasel™
February 17th, 2008, 04:46 AM
i sign off, because when i don't, i have like 50 "hey" messages i have to X out of, so its easier just to sign off.

Himawarii
February 17th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Well,I use AIM,and most of the time,I will put up an away message if away.Now though,I just tend to sign completely off due to my sister going onto my screenname x.x

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
February 21st, 2008, 08:42 AM
I dont use MSN, I use AIM. But anyways when I dont want to be bothered by people I put my away message on. And mainly I keep my AIM on all day but that doesn't mean I'm on AIM 24/7 (this is for days off of school). Or sometimes I go invisible since I have over 100 people (and want more people XD)

:t354:TG

Forever
February 21st, 2008, 10:58 PM
Only when I'm in group conversations I leave MSN on as away... or sometimes when I go online in the mornings and I know I'll be allowed on later, I leave it on. OR, if I'm advertising some... story or something. XD