PDA

View Full Version : Starting smoking young?

Mr. Curling Iron
December 3rd, 2008, 03:37 AM
Hey guys :D I just had a wacky theory. If we start smoking when we're young then our bodies may adapt to smoking in a few generations and then it wouldnt be illegial because it doesnt wreck our bodies...

I think itll happen one day since smoking is basically a change in the enviroment and the young would have a better defence system to defend against it

ErickaVolt
December 3rd, 2008, 03:58 AM
Wow cool theory. But I don't smoke. I never smoke until I die.

Signomi
December 3rd, 2008, 05:15 AM
Seems like a topic that can be expanded upon, I'll go ahead and move this to Other Chat.

~Moved

Ascaris
December 3rd, 2008, 05:21 AM
Or we might just die earlier.

No. Just no.

Soul Eater
December 3rd, 2008, 06:26 AM
I don't believe in that theory. Smoking is bad enough on people who are much older but doing it at a young age? That's beyond an accident waiting to happen. You have to realize that younger kids are still developing and still trying to work out their new bodies how they work. Smoking then would ruin that for them and its probably a hell of alot more deadly to them, more than it is too older ones smoking. D:

Avey
December 3rd, 2008, 07:38 AM
Or we might just die earlier.

No. Just no.

I agree with him.

The likeliness that our bodies would be able to adapt to accommodate smoking without having to suffer any aftereffects is slimmer than the chance that we'll sprout wings within the next century.

Tangerine Fox
December 3rd, 2008, 08:39 AM
Hey guys :D I just had a wacky theory. If we start smoking when we're young then our bodies may adapt to smoking in a few generations and then it wouldnt be illegial because it doesnt wreck our bodies...

I think itll happen one day since smoking is basically a change in the enviroment and the young would have a better defence system to defend against it

Um...actually, lots of people have started smoking when they are young. And plenty develop addictions and disease. Not saying all, but plenty.

Instead of adapting, like you say, children's bodies are more likely to succumb to the nicotine and risk a plethora of nasty health issues for themselves (and others around them).

For example, my father started smoking young -- most of his family did. Both my grandparents on that side died due to complications from smoking addictions. My dad is asthmatic and has more trouble breathing now that he's in his 50s. Same with my older friends who've started young.

I can understand what you're saying about slow exposure/building resistance, but I have my doubts that would work.

Plus, why would you want it to? It's more trouble than it's worth to poison generations of kids to be able to use a drug you don't really need.

Aurafire
December 3rd, 2008, 08:40 AM
That's a horrible idea. What kind of quality of life are those children going to have if they start smoking when they're...what, five or six? Even if our bodies began to develop a tolerance to cigarette smoke, that doesn't change the fact that smoking causes all kinds of health problems that can't be healed by any adaptation by our bodies. Basically, it's just asking for a generation of horribly sick children.

The health risks of cigarette smoking are becoming more well known in the U.S (I can't say the same for developing countries)...and athough way too many people still smoke, getting the word out on it's negative effects is a much better method than...making children smoke. =/

Phixum
December 3rd, 2008, 09:45 AM

If you're speaking 'building up resistance', then you're speaking 'micro-evolution'.

SIDE NOTE: For those who are obsessed with evolution, there IS a distinction between micro and macro evolution. The philosophical claim that defies the distinction is irrational and redundant.

Back to our topic...

Evolution takes millions of years to take effect, especially to us humans since we mate and reproduce relatively slowly. Therefore, we would start dying at a very early age before we adapt. We will never adapt to nicotine, simply because nicotine does not kill instantly; it takes years to develop its negative effects. Roughly, "the non-resistant" and "resistant" human beings will equally mate and reproduce, so the overall global gene pool will not shift to any direction. If it will, it will shift towards favoring those who do NOT smoke since there is a raising stigma against those who smoke. For your kind of resistance to build, humans have to stigmatize people who do not smoke.

That's a very rough thought, and it might not be completely correct.

processr
December 3rd, 2008, 09:56 AM
Are you by inference suggesting that we test the theory of natural selection by making teenagers smoke?

That's the worst idea since Greedo shot first.

STEELIXMANIAC
December 3rd, 2008, 09:58 AM
Oh, no way. That's being delusional. There isn't a way for the body to adapt to smoking because the moment smoking starts, it's already wrecking your body from the inside. It just doesn't happen until a long period of time, where problems start to surface. >>

Chikara
December 3rd, 2008, 10:01 AM
It's not a BAD thought, just a bit of an unhealthy one, and maybe not thought out very well. I don't see why anyone would want to encourage people to smoke and die early, only to make it safe for people to smoke in later generations. That's kind of horrible ._.;

I mean like... it's possible for the body to adapt to ingesting poison and stuff like that, so I can see where you're coming from. But you're only thinking about the future, not what would happen right now. Smoking causes cancer, 'nuff said.

Sorry, but I don't agree with you.

EDIT: I'm just now realizing, what you're talking about is kind of sacrificial. Don't you think?

Careful With That Axe, Pichu!
December 3rd, 2008, 10:50 AM
We'd die before we could evolve.

HeidiMoose
December 3rd, 2008, 12:20 PM
Smoking isn't and will never be good for our bodies or our health, and we'll never adapt immunity to it's effects. Bad idea.
Smoking should just stop. Period. It's a nasty habit, and makes people smell terrible, makes their breath stink, and makes their homes smell awful.
I had to move out of an apartment I leased with a a few of my friends because I couldn't stand their smoking habits anymore. The place just absolutely stunk, and it made all of my stuff stink, and I don't smoke!! :(

Plus, the idea of basically forcing people to start smoking - hoping we'd build an immunity to it - is way against personal choice. I'd kill myself before I'd smoke.

I'm against this.

jasonresno
December 3rd, 2008, 12:29 PM
Hahah. No. Just no.

There are no benefits to smoking at all. Plain unhealthy and self destructive habit.

King Goodra
December 3rd, 2008, 12:52 PM
Something tells me you were put up to posting this.

Weatherman, Kiyoshi
December 3rd, 2008, 12:56 PM
Why would we need to smoke anyway...?
I know what you're saying, but it's just plain out stupid for kids to test it.

FAMOUS TACHA SITUATION TIME
---

Kid: Hey mommy, can I have a cookie?

Mom: No Jimmy, you'll spoil you're appetite! Here, have a smoke instead. Maybe you're immunities will adapt and we'll all evolve into being able to smoke without any precautions! Or, it could shorten you're life and/or kill you. Not to mention the ashma you could develop. Or that fact you could become a druggie, because we all know tobacco is a root drug which most likely make you take other and more harmful drugs to get you're "fix"!

Kid: ...You know what? I think I'll wait for dinner to be ready.

---
WASN'T THAT WONDERFUL?

Saltare.
December 3rd, 2008, 01:12 PM
Cool theory. But it is a dreadful thing to start smoking young. Cause when you are young, your bodies are still devoloping and are more prone to sicknesses(i think)

Jorah
December 3rd, 2008, 01:48 PM
Um, no. People have already smoked for generations and not only that but we've been exposed to pollution for ages and as far as I know we haven't adapted against that, either. You can try if you like, but not me. It takes thousands of years to adapt, I'm sure.

Euphoric Magikarp
December 3rd, 2008, 02:06 PM
I hate the smell of smoke, honestly I tell my friends "If you ever smoke in my car I will take your cigarette and throw it out the window and you with it". Plus that theory seems to be based off evolution, like when a predator is introduced they find a way to protect themselves or something like that. Either way I don't like your theory and hate the smell of smoke.

Metatron
December 3rd, 2008, 04:53 PM
That's kind of a twisted thought. Mostly because I wouldn't be willing to greatly shorten my life expectancy, just so the next generation of people might possibly be immune to cigarette smoke.

People smoke knowing that there's the risk of possibly health problems ahead for them in the future, that's their choice. I, however, would never feel comfortable letting a 5 year old smoke. Ever. Not only just because of the health complications it may cause, but because...well, have you ever been close someone who smokes that often? They tend to smell like a crossover between turpentine and piss.

...This coming from someone who used to smoke nearly a pack everyday.

Lil-Dill
December 3rd, 2008, 05:50 PM
I dont think smoking is a good idea. Besides if that theory does work, it would take Im guessing approx. a million years.
Smoking is a horrible thing, and with smoking, that causes more pollution and destroys the earth. So no, I dont think its a good idea...
sorry, but thats my opinion.

Ruphire
December 3rd, 2008, 05:52 PM
I think that we would just die faster. So no smokey for me.

Shadow Chant
December 3rd, 2008, 06:18 PM
No. Smoking is bad, Period.

I am not shortening my life span with just a goof off addicting activity that is only not bad for you. It is also bad for people even when they are not smoking, the smoke spreads to the people around you. That means they died early because of you.

Spinor
December 3rd, 2008, 06:39 PM
This idea is way better than the one I had on making clouds out of beer top cotton from South America.

In fact, it's so good, it should be nominated as "Satan's Pandemic suggestion of the Decade" Award

Whoever gave you that idea is obviously a sidekick of Einstein's. Let's go and die in a ditch now...

Seriously, simple 8th grade science should tell you that kind of adaptation would kill you before you even lay yourself :P.

Michii
December 3rd, 2008, 06:41 PM
That's all fine and good, but do try to remember that this adaptation that you're obviously describing won't occur for thousands of years. So with that in mind, are we just going to let ourselves die for next generations to "safely" intoxicate themselves with crap? Plus, with all the people that'd die from it before we got used to the cigarettes, don't you think there'd be a little problem in population? Mutations could occur and malfunctions in DNA can happen; it did for the cheetahs. Of course, I'm speaking hundreds and thousands of years ahead.

Ex Trainer Ruiisu
December 3rd, 2008, 06:53 PM
this is one of those things where evolution kind fails humanity

Vernikova
December 3rd, 2008, 07:01 PM

No. Smoking wrecks your body and can lead to many different cancers. Some would be mouth (http://www.cancerinstitute.org.au/cancer_inst/campaigns/images/mouthcancer.jpg), throat (http://www.pickleheadsgang.com/smoking%20is%20bad.jpg), lung (http://ricksmagic.com/smoking/badlun2.jpg), even lip (http://library.thinkquest.org/trio/TTQ03034/mouth_cancer_cr.jpg) and tongue (http://www.medscape.com/content/2002/00/44/25/442595/art-cc442595.fig1.jpg). These links are pictures to these cancers.

It slows down warming in your body. In other words, it can stop you from getting warmer from the cold slower. You can have problems being understood because of cancers. Also, with throat cancer, you can't get water into your hole in your throat. Tars can get in your body and those things aren't easy to get out of you when they just get in there. Imagine if they were just left there for a long period of time.

As a result, don't even try to use this idea for anything. I don't know if you're joking or not, but no one should ever think of attempting it.

flight
December 3rd, 2008, 07:07 PM
The big bad cigarette huffs, and puffs, and BLOWS the life away!

What I just said is pretty much self-explanitory.

Mr. Curling Iron
December 3rd, 2008, 07:07 PM
No I wouldnt smoke either and the thought also disgusts me but skip the moral and ethical issues, and look at it from a different point of view.

Children would grow a small resistance to it, and by the time they reproduce, their children would also gain resistance, and their children would gain resistance, and little by little only people allergic to whatever is in cigarettes would be affected to it :/

HeidiMoose
December 3rd, 2008, 07:09 PM
No. Smoking wrecks your body and can lead to many different cancers. Some would be mouth (http://www.cancerinstitute.org.au/cancer_inst/campaigns/images/mouthcancer.jpg), throat (http://www.pickleheadsgang.com/smoking%20is%20bad.jpg), lung (http://ricksmagic.com/smoking/badlun2.jpg), even lip (http://library.thinkquest.org/trio/TTQ03034/mouth_cancer_cr.jpg) and tongue (http://www.medscape.com/content/2002/00/44/25/442595/art-cc442595.fig1.jpg). These links are pictures to these cancers.

It slows down warming in your body. In other words, it can stop you from getting warmer from the cold slower. You can have problems being understood because of cancers. Also, with throat cancer, you can't get water into your hole in your throat. Tars can get in your body and those things aren't easy to get out of you when they just get in there. Imagine if they were just left there for a long period of time.

As a result, don't even try to use this idea for anything. I don't know if you're joking or not, but no one should ever think of attempting it.

Those were very unattractive pictures.. bleah.

I'd also like to add that smoking adds tons of years onto your appearance..
No one likes that.

Spinor
December 3rd, 2008, 07:14 PM
No I wouldnt smoke either and the thought also disgusts me but skip the moral and ethical issues, and look at it from a different point of view.

Children would grow a small resistance to it, and by the time they reproduce, their children would also gain resistance, and their children would gain resistance, and little by little only people allergic to whatever is in cigarettes would be affected to it :/

But by the time they reproduce, they will be dead as a doornail.

And do not ask why I said dead as a doornail because my ancestry said so and I will keep it as "Dead as a doornail."

The Government would jail the parents anyways.

Now my friend, I need to ask:

What grade are you in?

I would understand if you haven't reached 6th grade yet :P.

Mr. Curling Iron
December 3rd, 2008, 07:38 PM
I'll safely say im 15 :/ (and i have not repeated >:)

anyway, you can get drunk on booze at a private property and aslong as you dont get out of hand or annoy other people its legal :/

Spinor
December 3rd, 2008, 09:36 PM
Now you want Alcohol? Tobacco + Alcohol = Modern Black Death

This theory is naturally marked: Insane as hell.

processr
December 3rd, 2008, 11:18 PM
anyway, you can get drunk on booze at a private property and aslong as you dont get out of hand or annoy other people its legal :/

But what does that have to do with a slightly warped view of evolution and natural selection? =\

♣Gawain♣
December 3rd, 2008, 11:39 PM
That theory you're making is nuts. Smoking will be always illegal no matter what age you are. And you'll just die earlier from pneumonia and lung cancer. O.O Yeah, it's true you'll get used to it but it makes the user unaware of his/her condition. DO you smoke?

SamuraiMaster
December 4th, 2008, 08:06 AM
I don'ty smoke. I'm 18, and I smoke a cigar with friends on very rare occasions. Seriously, it has to be like a very special ocasion.

I dont smoke on a regular basis, and i don't smoke cigerettes. Of all I've read about them in novels, I wouldn't like their taste.