• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Review of The Union Room

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
Years
  • Yesterday, I yet again got to play the real English versions of Fire Red and Leaf Green - I just love these preview and play events. This one had me travelling all the way down to London's Excel Centre however to get there. It was worth the trip, so all was good.

Anyway, on the preview copies of FR and LG, all GBs (about 16 or so) had the Wireless Communicator attached to them, and I even managed to have a trainer battle with this. It works just as well as a link cable. I'd caught like 5 other L2-L3 Pidgeys during play, so I stomped over this opponent with just a L7 Squirtle. Also, I did get chance to play around in the Union Room (something you ROM people probably won't get to play with).

To get to the Union Room, you go upstairs in a Pokemon Centre, and talk to the centre attendant. After linking up, you are transported to a large room, where there is a lot of space to walk about in (you can fit 40 people in one Union Room, so it has to be large). There is a Nurse Joy on attendance, and you can speak to her and trade in the Union Room itself.

Also, you can talk to the other people in the room. You select a message the same way you would select a name for a Pokemon, up to 15 characters per line, and send to whoever you were chatting to. It's a nice little feature, and works pretty well.

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2005
    Do you know the distance to where it will work? I've heard it can get up to 50 m!

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
  • Well, according to Nintendo Official Magazine UK, who tested the Wireless Connector, it's 50 metres, but that's with no obstructions or anything in the way.

Another note, you need at least 2 Pokemon in your party to enter the Union Room.

Marill909

Pacific Boy
    Years
  • Wow this sounds awesome. I have leaf green but when i do go in the union room no one is in there cuz no one in my town has it yet. It sounds cool that you actually got to use it though. I bet its gunna be fun!

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • It'll have been Satoshi-kun or something... or maybe someone else... :/

Did you have a chance to play on any of the games, like the Dodrio ball one, or the skipping rope thing with the starter Pokemon? I really want to play those, and hope they'll be in the English one. ^_^

"A Vote for Justice is a Vote for MCD"

AdamHays

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2004
    so you can battle anyone within 50meters of you who has the game.

Marill909

Pacific Boy
    Years
  • Yes. 50 meters, that is with no walls or barriers blocking the way. Your best bet is to go in a crouded mall during a nintendo promotional event...hehehe.

Pogiforce-14

EV/IV Trainer
    Years
  • I have Fire red, and the union room looks really awesome. The problem I see with it though, i sthat even if you are in a big group of people, many of them wil be training or fighitng or something instead of checking out the union room, so unless you ask them to go in there, you really won't see much of a crowd. Still, the opportunity to meet like a group sounds very interesting.

Mundane

walking alone
    Years
  • See, the problem i have is. No one plays pokemon in Juniata. I guess i can go to events, but this is like what, maybe once, twice a year? No one i know owns the game either. So, this union room is a nice thought i think, but i wish there was a online version you could link your gba to. An even better idea than a wireless adaptor.

Splashing Mew

PC's Poet Laureate
    Years
  • At first glance the union room looks good, but when you delve deeper you will soon notice a big shocker.... You can only battle with pokemon level 30 or lower in the union room....... Yes 30.... It sucks a lot. On the other hand it allows us to size up our opponents before we face them in a direct connect battle (Link cable battles) lvl 30 involves more strategy and you have to choose your pokemon better. Think petite cup in Stadium except double the level. Although I am royal pissed about no lvl 100 or even lvl 50 battles I will live with it.

~Splash

HellishHades

Pure Evil
    Years
  • Pogiforce-14 said:
    I have Fire red, and the union room looks really awesome. The problem I see with it though, i sthat even if you are in a big group of people, many of them wil be training or fighitng or something instead of checking out the union room, so unless you ask them to go in there, you really won't see much of a crowd. Still, the opportunity to meet like a group sounds very interesting.

If you're playing the single player part of the game, and go into a Pok?mon Centre to heal your Pok?mon, the receptionist will say, "It appears trainerName is playing right now." (replace trainerName with the name of the another player) if someone has their wireless adaptor connected to the game. Since you often go to Pok?mon Centers during gameplay, others will be prompted to go to the Union Room.

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
  • No, that doesn't change, and is determined by your trainer ID number. If you started again on a new game, you'd get a different sprite, but that's about the only way to change it.

Marill909

Pacific Boy
    Years
  • I *officially* my wireless adapter with my tested friend. It goes about 30 feet and then the thing starts blinking red. *this is with no barriers* walls,cars,buildings,etc.

Makoto

Years
  • okay this is weird because in my little instruction booklet thingy(comes with every game, pokemon or not) for firered it said 10 feet.... how many meters is that? i dunno, but i'm just saying what it is officially....

Back