• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Explosion and stuff...

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
Years
  • Have you noticed the move Explosion and Self-Destruct can only be learned by pokemon that ain't Normal-type? Specifically round(electrode, glalie, etc.) or mechanical(metagross, bronzong, etc) or strange(wailord, shiftry, etc.) shaped pokemon?

If a normal pokemon can learn Explosion(example, Snorlax O.O), it would be a STAB move. 250 x 1.5 = 375! Imagine that power! It might even faint Aggron(depends).

Will Nintendo allow the move explosion to be learned by normal pokemon in the future generation? I you like it?

Say your opinion.

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
  • No, you're wrong. Lickilicky can learn Explosion via TM. I don't see why they should teach any of the current Pokemon who aren't able to learn either should. Pokemon don't explode for no reason.

Last edited:

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Well if lickilicky can learn it then, well yes they will make more...lol

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
  • Well if lickilicky can learn it then, well yes they will make more...lol

Lickilicky actually looks like it's capable of exploding so unless the developers actually create normal type Pokemon who look like they're capable of exploding, I highly doubt it.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Snorlax should learn it too but it would be too useful to it so maybe thats why. You could also imagine Snorlax eating too much and then exploding! lol.

matt561

Your French Charizard
    Years
  • But isent explosion a last resort move anyway?

I fail to see the point in where all fights would last one turn because player 1 exploded

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • The thing is, Pokemon only explode for a reason. You're not going to get Normal types exploding just because the STABed damage would be huge. The only time matchups and damage was ever concerned when dealing with moves and types was when the Dark type came in.

Most exploding Pokemon explode for a reason, be it electricity, poisonous gases or mechanical failure. The fact is, all these Pokemon can't be Normal type, either.

:\

But I think Explosion should be Fire or Steel type. :\

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    The thing is, Pokemon only explode for a reason. You're not going to get Normal types exploding just because the STABed damage would be huge. The only time matchups and damage was ever concerned when dealing with moves and types was when the Dark type came in.

Most exploding Pokemon explode for a reason, be it electricity, poisonous gases or mechanical failure. The fact is, all these Pokemon can't be Normal type, either.

:\

Could you explain Lickilicky's(Normal type) Explosion then? My Snorlax explanation makes more sense than anything you could come up with.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • No, you're wrong. Lickilicky can learn Explosion via TM. I don't see why they should teach any of the current Pokemon who aren't able to learn either should. Pokemon don't explode for no reason.

Lickylicky can? Never tried using the TM on it 'cause I don't have one.

Snorlax should learn it too but it would be too useful to it so maybe thats why. You could also imagine Snorlax eating too much and then exploding! lol.

Haha... that's what I was thinking earlier lol.

Best if it's Fire. If you blow up something, the aftercause is fire.

Last edited:

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    I thought Snorlax could learn explosion...? Oh well, but yeah I guess they will make more normal types learn the explosion moves.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Snorlax learns Selfdestruct, not Explosion. Oh, and to Gaiwan, Selfdestruct from Snorlax only deals 38.37% maximum, which is still pretty impressive. Lickilicky's Explosion is stronger than Snorlax's Selfdestruct too, despite the lower attack stat (does 40.12% maximum).

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I never said Snorlax learned it. I was giving reason to why it should learn the attack.

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2009
    Can't Smeragle learn the attack if the move misses?

Other then that. The Pokemon must look like it is capable of exploding in order to learn one of those moves.

Years
  • Can't Smeragle learn the attack if the move misses?

Other then that. The Pokemon must look like it is capable of exploding in order to learn one of those moves.
    If a Pokemon has the "Damp" ability, then yes, Smeargle can sketch Explosion. Not sure what happens if the move misses, though, or if you can somehow get Smeargle to survive the attack and try using Sketch afterwards.

This all applies to the 3rd gen, mind you. From my understanding, Smeargle can't learn Explosion in the 2nd gen at all.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    If a Pokemon has the "Damp" ability, then yes, Smeargle can sketch Explosion. Not sure what happens if the move misses, though, or if you can somehow get Smeargle to survive the attack and try using Sketch afterwards.

This all applies to the 3rd gen, mind you. From my understanding, Smeargle can't learn Explosion in the 2nd gen at all.

With Focus Sash it can learn the attack.

Years
  • But isent explosion a last resort move anyway?

I fail to see the point in where all fights would last one turn because player 1 exploded

No it isn't. Explosion can be used at any time in a battle just like any other move. What do you mean by last resort? I don't know anything about battles having last resort.

Back