PDA

View Full Version : The Lone Hacker?

Zanny77
May 14th, 2009, 10:21 AM
This goes to all those hackers out there. Did you ever start or make a hack only by yourself? That's how it is right now with me and my hack. T-T
I personally can't find anyone who wants to work on it...so I just decided to do it myself. *humph!*

Anyone else do this?
Spin me a yarn of your hardships.

IIMarckus
May 14th, 2009, 11:05 AM
So‐called “hacking teams” are overrated. Being able to make a hack requires an interest in and a dedication to the subject. It is no accident that the projects that stand above all others (e.g. Prism, ShinyGold, RijonAdventures) are powered by exclusively one or two people.

Magic
May 14th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I am currently working on my hack alone, however I am unlikely to be able to do it all (as I can't sprite in the slightest). Maps, Story, Script, are all mine though :).

Frostbite
May 14th, 2009, 02:26 PM
With the acception of beta testing (which is just one other person) I work on my hack entirely alone. Honestly, I can't see a hack being worked on by multiple people. I'd guess that things would get really hectic and not everyone would know what's going on. This can lead to the hack coming out really sloppy in most cases. In my opinion, it's better to work on your own hack alone since you can put more focus and implement all of your ideas into the hack rather then dealing with other people's ideas. I also think hacks that were published by a lone author tend to come out better. See rijonAdventures, for instance.

Alice
May 14th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I want to make a hack, but I wouldn't like working with other people... and since I know there's no way that I would be able to stick with it for very long, I just decided to not do one. I definitely wouldn't work with people I don't know in real life. It would just be too difficult to coordinate.

colcolstyles
May 14th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Well, as others have already mentioned, the hacks that are particularly successful tend to come from a single developer. Although I'd say Legend of Fenju is a great hack that came from a team. There are a few exceptions but the vast majority of the time, the more popular hacks (if that's what you're aiming for) are made by a single hacker. It just gives you so much more control over the hack and nothing gets lost in translation, so to speak. If somebody else has to do a job for you, then the result will never be what you wanted it to be, no matter how good they are or how detailed the instructions you give them are.
On top of that, you get a much greater sense of accomplishment when you can step back from your work and say "I made that" and have it be completely true.

PaulH
May 14th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I attempted to make a brand new hack recently, but it ended up failing due to scripting. I cannot script, and cannot get my head around the tutorials. I tried doing what is apparently the simplest script, a signpost. Hell, that wasn't even a new one, it was just an editted one, and it bugged out in such an inexplicable way that I've had no responce on the script help thread for how to fix it. Thus causing me to give that hack up. Instead, I have resorted to making a sort of expansion of Fire-Red instead. I can change a bunch of things, without going near a single script, its not what I wanted, but it will have to do I suppose.

Ninja Caterpie
May 15th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Hacking teams are overrated. Learn everything and you can do everything exactly as you want it.

The "jack of all trades, master of none" thing does sorta apply here though.

Surf
May 15th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Personally, I hate having a team.
You have to rely on the person with the patch, and you can't change something straight away, or re-map\script it without the team approving.

Larsie13
May 15th, 2009, 04:22 AM
I am currently working on my hack alone, however I am unlikely to be able to do it all (as I can't sprite in the slightest). Maps, Story, Script, are all mine though :).
Same here, I'm working on a hack all by myself, and the only thing I'm not doing myself is spriting, because I kinda suck at that. Inserting sprites / tiles, mapping, scripting, etc. is all done by me. Also, I think it's better to do something by yourself if you can do it. That means you never have to wait for anyone to finish what they were doing, before you can continue yourself. colcolstyles is right, too, because if someone else does something, it will most likely never be what you expected it to be. If you do everything by yourself, you KNOW what you want it to be like, so you CAN make it the way you want. Other people tend to make it just a little bit different than you want it to, thus making you want to change it so that it becomes like you wanted it to be from the beginning, which means the other person's done their job for naught.

Worldslayer608
May 15th, 2009, 09:21 AM
So‐called “hacking teams” are overrated. Being able to make a hack requires an interest in and a dedication to the subject. It is no accident that the projects that stand above all others (e.g. Prism, ShinyGold, RijonAdventures) are powered by exclusively one or two people.

I would like to point out that your statement, while it may sound true, has holes.

Hacks that have made if as far as the above mentioned status, have been made by a single person. But whether it is made by a team, a single person, or just two buddies, it is not how many people work on it, it is about how much determination, love, and 'drive' that those behind the hack have.

The majority of people in the hacking/game modification world, lack those qualities, thus hacks/mods and even indie games fail on a daily basis, whether there is a group behind it, or a lone wolf.

People think making a game would be cool, until they find out that it takes time, patience, work, and even a bit of learning. Do not underestimate the 'laziness' of people.

Hacking teams are overrated. Learn everything and you can do everything exactly as you want it.

The "jack of all trades, master of none" thing does sorta apply here though.

I still disagree with the 'overrated' statement. I have been working with game modification/development for over 6 years and one thing I have learned is that teams are helpful. Just because everyone on your team quits does not mean the project is abandoned, which is what most people seem to think. A lot of people drop their projects when they cannot find help. There is a reason that games like Diablo, WOW, and pretty much any game ever developed and mass marketed, was not made by a single person, because it takes a lot of work.

'Jack of all trades, master of none' is a perfect saying and I am glad someone said that :).

It takes dedication, paptience, determination, and the will to learn every aspect if you plan on getting your game/hack/mod anywhere, with or without a team.

Developement teams often fail more than a lone wolf because EVERYONE in the team needs to posess the qualities that make the person behind the game/hack/mod sucessful.

AlexAhnon
May 15th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Well, I don't actually hate teams but I'm more happy being able to learn and do it all by myself.
I see threads for teams only for a single hack, which could be done by around 3 people.
IMO, I would say you learn and experience more if you work for yourself. (And yes, I'm working on a hack by myself)

Ninja Caterpie
May 16th, 2009, 01:33 AM
There is a reason that games like Diablo, WOW, and pretty much any game ever developed and mass marketed, was not made by a single person, because it takes a lot of work.
[/CENTER]

Let me remind you I said "hacking teams".

This is generalised into "Pokemon hacking teams" because this is mostly a Pokemon hacking board. Compare Brown and whatever that one of Rom Reavers with a beta is. Brown is much better. Compare Moonshine and Fenju...actually, that's being obnoxiously self-praising, but yeah...it's just that without a team, you work faster on a hack, as relying on people isn't necessarily fast. And the results are either the same or better.

Worldslayer608
May 16th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Let me remind you I said "hacking teams".

This is generalised into "Pokemon hacking teams" because this is mostly a Pokemon hacking board. Compare Brown and whatever that one of Rom Reavers with a beta is. Brown is much better. Compare Moonshine and Fenju...actually, that's being obnoxiously self-praising, but yeah...it's just that without a team, you work faster on a hack, as relying on people isn't necessarily fast. And the results are either the same or better.

The idea and theory behind a Development team/hacking team/mod team, whatever you want to call it, is consistent, no matter what game/platform it is for.

Saying you work faster on a hack by yourself is rubbish. Some cases that might be true, but you have to remember that some people learn as they work, they will sprite out all their sprites, then look into how to insert them, then learn how to script a battle using them. Unless you know it all before hand, chances are it will not be faster.

I am not saying working on a hack alone is bad, I am merely saying that those who are saying that teams are overrated seem to be looking at only a small fraction of the big picture. As a hacking team is just as vulnerable to failure as one person making a single hack. It is not how many people are working on the project, it is how dedicated those working on the project are, that bring it full circle.

colcolstyles
May 16th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I'd like to add on to my last post.

If you're just beginning as a hacker, join a team. Quite honestly, you're going to be terrible. I was, everyone was. I remember the first team I was on. It was terrible. But I just had so much fun doing it. We never really made anything worthy of posting but the whole experience was truly amazing. So I'd recommend that you find your niche, and join a team with that skill. You most likely won't make anything and most, if not all, of the people on the team will quit eventually and leave the forums. But, I must say that I've never had more fun while hacking. These days, I have to worry about quality and all that crap but back when I was naïve, that didn't matter at all.

BUT, if you're actually trying to make something of worth, then I recommend hacking alone for the reason(s) in my last post.

Megiddo-san
May 16th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Aside from my spriter and beta testers, I work alone.

Tomorrow
May 16th, 2009, 02:36 PM
iGuess, I sort of have a team.. However, I try do everything by myself. When I need something done, I prefer to do it myself, because I wanna learn. Sometimes, I ask friends, if they would do something for me, like one map, a script.. But thats when Im busy with something else.

I agree hacking teams are overated, but, only lazy people use teams. Fact.
On the other hand, you might not be good at something, then again, you could.. Learn it?

So im half and half, in-between the line.

Ninja Caterpie
May 16th, 2009, 02:58 PM
The other game development things, making pure awesome games from scratch, they require tonnes of effort in every single department, and its rigged-hard to be able to do it all at once by yourself. Plus, I doubt they wait for each other to do everything, then do the next thing.

Hacking requires not-as-much knowledge on each subject to make a good one, and thus one person can learn it all and make a good hack at the same time.

Thrace
May 16th, 2009, 05:42 PM
In my experience creating a hack with a team just isn't a good idea. People on this forum just aren't mature enough to work together in a team. While its true that real world things get in the way of hacking if you say you're going to do something you can't use having real world commitments as an excuse for not doing it.

I don't agree with what Ninja Caterpie said about being a "jack of all trades, master of none". Most of the people that are really good at mapping for example are also some of the best scripters. There are situations where you have to rely on others (spriting for example) but I wouldn't consider that being part of the team. Its more like... a commission.

IIMarckus
May 17th, 2009, 09:36 PM
There is a reason that games like Diablo, WOW, and pretty much any game ever developed and mass marketed, was not made by a single person, because it takes a lot of work.These games are also made by people who are being paid. I think that explains the success more than anything else.

It is true that hacking teams can be successful. Teams started at Pokécommunity, however, generally are not.
In my experience creating a hack with a team just isn't a good idea. People on this forum just aren't mature enough to work together in a team. While its true that real world things get in the way of hacking if you say you're going to do something you can't use having real world commitments as an excuse for not doing it.

I don't agree with what Ninja Caterpie said about being a "jack of all trades, master of none". Most of the people that are really good at mapping for example are also some of the best scripters. There are situations where you have to rely on others (spriting for example) but I wouldn't consider that being part of the team. Its more like... a commission.You are so right that I think I’ll quote you again just for the emphasis.In my experience creating a hack with a team just isn't a good idea. People on this forum just aren't mature enough to work together in a team. While its true that real world things get in the way of hacking if you say you're going to do something you can't use having real world commitments as an excuse for not doing it.

I don't agree with what Ninja Caterpie said about being a "jack of all trades, master of none". Most of the people that are really good at mapping for example are also some of the best scripters. There are situations where you have to rely on others (spriting for example) but I wouldn't consider that being part of the team. Its more like... a commission.

HackMew
May 18th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Hacking teams are not overrated. People's brain are. If you want to start a team, I bet here you won't find much people willing to help. Exceptions to the rule are always welcome. I did not started alone yet I was left behind doing all the work by myself for most of the time. I didn't have much luck with teams yet I was able to find a few hackers that truly helped me and still are.

I suppose you're a newbie (correct me if I'm wrong) and I can tell you that working alone isn't that bad, especially at the beginning. This way you can learn the basics and improve your skills in general. Keep in mind that no one really works alone (e.g. beta testers) and besides you can't be good at everything, whether you realize it or not.

Personally, I like teams because you can share ideas and redistribute the work on the most appropriate hackers. Still, most people think at hacking teams simply as a time/work booster. Hacking in team doesn't mean necessarily the hack progress will go faster, it could even go slower. It all depends on the people you are working with.

Interest, perseverance, dedication, patience, desire to learn. All of these are always a must while hacking, even if you're alone.

Ninja Caterpie
May 19th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Although a full on hack generally works better with one person, hacking in a team is really fun because you can muck around making ideas and focus on one thing to do. =P

Nosman
May 19th, 2009, 01:12 AM
I am working on my hack (Pokemon Ash's BIG day) by my self i can not do some things like change the world map and change the title screen but no one wants to help me "hint hint" but i prefer to do the rest on my own because it is to hard to get more people to do it because if one person is working on it no one els can work on it

Vrai
May 19th, 2009, 02:21 AM
I am working on my hack (Pokemon Ash's BIG day) by my self i can not do some things like change the world map and change the title screen but no one wants to help me "hint hint" but i prefer to do the rest on my own because it is to hard to get more people to do it because if one person is working on it no one els can work on it

Those are things you can probably do by yourself; you just haven't learned yet. No one wants to help you because they either a) have a hack of their own b) are put off by your lack of grammar or c) simply don't want to work in a team/are too busy. If one person is working on it, surprisingly, other people can work on it too. If a mapper is mapping, he/she can simply save the maps, and send them to whoever is managing the project. A scripter can save the scripts. About the only people who actually need to use the patch by themselves are the people who are inserting things into it, and then they'll simply make another patch for everyone else to work on.

ckret2
May 24th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I started out working alone on my hack, and while I still do most things by myself, I'm now getting some help from others as well. (As the OP of this thread well knows--hello, spriter. :P)

The way I see hacking teams is that, sure, you can do everything yourself. I am (in my opinion, at least) a good scripter, I can make passably good maps that don't have tile errors and that use tree shading correctly, and I can make sprites that don't look like crap. But even though I am capable of doing everything myself, it takes a heck of a lot more time to make all scripts AND all sprites AND all maps than it does to make almost all scripts, a few maps, and a few sprites. Disturbed and The warden have done, respectively, a cave map and a couple of Johto maps, and Zanny77 has done some item sprites. Although I could do all of those parts myself if I desperately wanted to do ToxicPurple by myself, they're all very talented as well. The quality of work in ToxicPurple certainly hasn't suffered from their involvement and has probably been improved quite a bit.

If big hacking teams are overrated, so is doing it entirely alone.

shadowbmz
May 24th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I prefer to work on my hack by myself
BUT I also prefer ask others questions and for help instead of figuring it out myself
(not meaing i'm lazy i mean that I would rather ask someone how to example import a custom sprite then guess for hours :) )

Conan Edogawa
June 1st, 2009, 01:55 PM
I would hack alone or with one other person if I could script. So if I learn how to then my hack will move quickley and who knows!

DaiTyrant
June 1st, 2009, 04:53 PM
I'd like to add on to my last post.

If you're just beginning as a hacker, join a team. Quite honestly, you're going to be terrible. I was, everyone was. I remember the first team I was on. It was terrible. But I just had so much fun doing it. We never really made anything worthy of posting but the whole experience was truly amazing. So I'd recommend that you find your niche, and join a team with that skill. You most likely won't make anything and most, if not all, of the people on the team will quit eventually and leave the forums. But, I must say that I've never had more fun while hacking. These days, I have to worry about quality and all that crap but back when I was naïve, that didn't matter at all.

BUT, if you're actually trying to make something of worth, then I recommend hacking alone for the reason(s) in my last post.

Yes but some things just can't be taught. I am a newbie here and I am trying to form a team at the moment to make a hack . Problem is , I'm good at code and all that so I'm learning scripting . But i can't acquire a good sense of aesthetics ( not easily at least ) , that is required for spriting or mapping . Few can do stuff completely alone . Heck , half the lone wolf hackers are too bored to test out their own beta

If big hacking teams are overrated, so is doing it entirely alone.

Aye aye , amen to that . That must be the most correct statement on this thread

timeshero2
June 1st, 2009, 08:59 PM
I'm working on my own at the moment. Doin' it solo is real tough, but I get all the credit ;p

Vrai
June 2nd, 2009, 03:28 AM
that is required for spriting or mapping . Few can do stuff completely alone . Heck , half the lone wolf hackers are too bored to test out their own beta

Generally, most people cannot sprite very well at all, so it is still basically considered "on your own" if you only have a spriter helping you out. Also, no one tests their own beta. It's pointless, because they know exactly what they have to do to get through with it. A beta tester is generally someone that's not even on the team (if there was one) because they should have absolutely no idea where everything is in-game. That way, they'll go exploring every nook and cranny for bugs, something that the actual hackers generally wouldn't do.

DA-Kizemaru
June 2nd, 2009, 08:32 AM
Its good not to have a team, because teams tend to make deadlines(which are a pain) and they fall apart often(people either get kicked or quit).

It is good to work by yourself to learn all the basics. You can move to pitching your ideas, get people interested, and then get the ball rolling from there.

Don't let it fool you, making a full hack is hard work even for a team.

Disturbed
June 2nd, 2009, 12:50 PM
Here are statistics I thought up, I hope most of you in time agree with them:

Working alone fail rate: 70%
Working in a full fledged team (About 5 people) fail rate: 95%
Working in a duo fail rate: 75%
Working mainly by yourself with minor help fail rate (e.g. spriting, some scripting/mapping): 65%
Working with more than 10 people: 99% fail rate (only one I know can manage)

My suggestion is work alone, duo, or mainly by yourself with minimal help...

Now, to a hacks superiority:

Alone: 45%
Team (5 People): 30%
Duo: 70%
Minor Assistance: 70%
Lotsa People: 20%

That's what I think... but... it can go anyway.

Pokepal17
June 3rd, 2009, 12:38 PM
I work alone because I find it more convenient and I can work at my own pace :)

Pekin
June 6th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Yea, I'm working on a hack alone. It's gonna take forever, but I honestly like it better this way. I've been working for a couple of months, and all I've been doing so far is creating Fakemon, which - in my opinion - has made me a pretty decent spriter. I'm not the world's greatest scripter, though, but practice makes perfect, right?

Flash
June 7th, 2009, 01:18 PM
This goes to all those hackers out there. Did you ever start or make a hack only by yourself? That's how it is right now with me and my hack. T-T
I personally can't find anyone who wants to work on it...so I just decided to do it myself. *humph!*

Anyone else do this?
Spin me a yarn of your hardships.

My first released hack was about 5 years ago. It was one of Crystal called Crystal All. It's only a gameplay hack, but I spent months just tweaking and changing the gymleaders, wild pokemon encounters, etc.
Now they've got all kinds of neat editors out there..and I'm messing with FireRed.
The hardest part was on my eyes. I'm a little older than most of you, so i could only work on this after work and on weekends. It took about six months of freetime to make the hack. My only wish is that I'd hacked the graphics...

Riku_RP
June 8th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Right now I just started hacking and Im working on my project on my own, and honestly I wouldnt mind atleast one or two people helping with the hack Im still new to everything and I know very little on mapping and scripting, Im a spriter I sit there and change the sprites on my rom instead of everything else lol though Im doing a little at a time after Im done spriting everything Ill probably work and learn how to do mapping and hten scripting.

Barbie Jean
June 9th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I am very interested in making a hack, but I never done one. One of my problems though is that programs used for it does not work on my laptop.

In my opinion, I would rather have some help, but that is just me.

Poke_a_Dialga!
June 9th, 2009, 10:47 PM
So far i've known, i've started hacking alone (hacking cintrine) and then got a team but i still did it myself :S
Twilight Emerald has no one but myself too T-T

.Seth
June 9th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I prefer to work with 2 or 3 other people at a time. More fun.

Barbie Jean
June 9th, 2009, 10:54 PM
I prefer to work with 2 or 3 other people at a time. More fun.

When it comes to coming up with your own game, I would prefer to work with at least 2 people.

Riku_RP
June 10th, 2009, 12:25 AM
I am very interested in making a hack, but I never done one. One of my problems though is that programs used for it does not work on my laptop.

In my opinion, I would rather have some help, but that is just me.

I noticed that Im having alot of those problems too with my own laptop but what I found out that these programs do work and are pretty much all you need, their also the easyest ones to figure out,

They are: AdvanceMap 1.92, unLZ.GBA, A-Starter, OverworldE-RE, Item Editor, Start Map, YAPE, Tile Layer Pro *aka TLP*, and PokeCryGUI

Also I havnt figured out the Spriting programs but these ones work also: Elite Map Scripted and XSE

there are some other smaller programs that work but they did the same thing as the ones above and those above where easyer to figure out.

Hope I helped you some!

Aro-kun
June 11th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I usually hack alone. but thats because im not putin anything completely unique into my hack. im limiting myself by the programming that nintendo/game freak did for me XD. but i would have no problem in a team though. but most of my hacks are just: personal starters/trainers/obstacle convinience (like my avatar+Eevee as a starter and deleting all HM spots)

DarkPrince304
June 12th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Hacking Alone FTW!
If I knew how to insert Sprites(Both O/W and battle ones) then I would be continuing my hack alone...But I can't that's the problem...Making Team raises ego of people...People only join a team if they are very much experienced and brag about themselves...They say they won't work just because we are new to hacking...I hate this stuff!!!
Just if I knew how to insert O/W sprites I would be doing my hack alone..But help is also needed sometimes...All people on my team are good but

[BlackEyedHacker]
June 16th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I am pretty new here, but I have always worked alone, maybe with one other person who really is just someone to test stuff or debug help with me. This goes for all the languages I perform in (RUBY, PHP, C++,C#, etc).

And from reading team threads they seem more like mini-clubs who really just talk about ideas, but it seems that individuals work on separate personal hacks.

Halcyon
June 17th, 2009, 05:31 AM
I prefer working alone.
Well, other than Spriters and much complex stuffs.

We may have ideas that do not click and may not fit the goal and theme for the game.

TheWicked
June 17th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Hmm,i started my hack by myself.then later on,i realized that its impossible for me to do it alone,
cause scripting is impossible for me to learn,cause i concentrate mostly on graphics.in short iam a graphical hacker.

so i prefer having a partner..maybe a very good scripter,

Trainer MJB
June 17th, 2009, 04:53 PM
im currently working on my hack alone too but i choose to work on it alone i dont really want to find other people to help although i do need some help kind of on the whole warping thing lol

Vednix
June 17th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Yes. I am working on a hack on my own (yet to be shown), because no one wants to work on a hack with a beginner. The reason there ARE hacking teams is becuase one person can't do everything in a hack, becuase they have skills in one part and not in the other. So other people help out so that the hackl can be finished. For instance, i need someone who can insert sporites without the palette going wierd on them. This is because I cannot do it myself. That's why I would need someone to help, instead of doing it on my own. Simple.

theswordbuggy
June 18th, 2009, 12:41 AM
i am makin a hack of my own. i prefer to work on my own because you can accually do it at your own pace. but sometimes i would prefer to have a team. but i think it is easier to do it alone.

snap12
June 21st, 2009, 06:30 PM
Im about to start a hack and im afraid im going to be working on it alone... :(

PlatniumPiano
June 28th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I have no spriting talent whatsoever :/

I would like to work alone if I could sprite well, but, sadly, I'm only good at scripting (and decent at mapping... I hope...)

There's other jobs that I could probably learn, like World Map and tile editing, but inserting them into the game is a problem I've always had. Oh well. Better get cracking lol.

Though I do think that it is fun to work with other people, as long as they aren't like "ZOMG i cAn HELp YOU I TeH PWNSAUZ AT EVERYTH1NG!!!one!"

Yummeh.Strawberriez
June 30th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Well, i'm working on a hack, not completely on my own.
My friend is a complete Pokemon genius, he knows everything about it, has great ideas of what can be changed, what kinda story etc.
So i'm the only one doing the actual hacking, but the ideas are about half half, and i run everything by him to see if he likes it.
I hate making decisions, so its nice having someone help me, but overall, i'm a lone hacker.
Although i'm absolutely terrible at scripting, so some help there would be appreciates greatly sometimes :L

am529
June 30th, 2009, 08:27 AM
I'm a lone hacker, I just started learning yesterday and all I've done is change the title and the pokemon on the title screen. seems like working alone would be easier than working in a team, unless you have someone you know you can really trust who has a good knowledge of what needs to be done. I guess I wouldn't mind working with 1 or 2 other people though, if I could find anyone.

Corvus of the Black Night
July 7th, 2009, 09:42 AM
I work completely on my own, with the important exception of several ASM routines.

Regigiygas
July 7th, 2009, 10:53 AM
I hack by myself as a hobby, nothing more, but my little brother hacks too, making a separate game, so he provides friendly competition/moral support.

Zero°
July 7th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Yup, I hack by myself. I'm trying to learn how to do most things, Script, map, sprite, etc. so when I do learn, I can make a "good hack" and not just small changes.

BananasGoMoo
July 7th, 2009, 11:13 PM
i'd hack by myself, except i can only do like half the things, i cant map, sprite, or insert things very well into my hack. so i'd rather work with someone who can do these things, even though i haven't gotten around to asking someone for help. but i did post in the rom hacking tutoring thread today.

.Tactic.
July 10th, 2009, 02:20 AM
I once made a hack by myself, Pokemon goth, but i didn't post on any forums, and to be honest, it was a great game!

mastadonarc
July 27th, 2009, 02:56 AM
ha this is fantastic, i am also a lone hacker and not only that im a newbie at hacking an rpg like this. I have tried my hand at hacking many zoo tycoon 2 files and it was fairly awesome heh but all this scripting is really kicking my butt.

Pokestick, good times.
July 27th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I always do the stuff myself, the only times I've done different is when I've done maps for other hacks, and that's not the same, right ^^
The one important thing I don't do is scripting, because it's a real pain to INSERT those gosh darn messages.
...And that's probably why my hacks never really end the idea table...

PocketPika
July 29th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I'm a lone hacker.... still

FireOutCtrl
July 30th, 2009, 01:37 AM
In my opinion, in something as fragile as ROM, where a single mistake could cost you, it's sometimes better to work by oneself. By yourself, you can let your creativity go wild, without having to consult others on simple matters. Not to mention, working by yourself builds more skill in a wider range of areas, and can *gasp* even help you learn something, so as a beginner, it is more beneficial. If there's something you absolutely can't do by yourself, you just have to learn to work with your limitations, and build upon your strengths.

I'm not trying to say teams of hackers are bad, but simply saying being alone isn't necessarily a bad thing.

JBW
July 30th, 2009, 04:47 AM
I personally find it easier to work by myself as I don't have to make any promises about it. But since I can't script or make tiles at all I sometimes have to rely on the support of others.

monkeyman2092
August 7th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Since none of my topics were posted on finding teams and my recruitment search failed, I've simply been forced into the solo hacking. I can scrape up some things from other hacks and I promise to give credit to the person who really made it. It's sad, because I can only map and edit texts. I rock at map editing, it's so simple. Editing texts is okay... But, overworld spiriting, image editing, graphic editing, etc, I stink at. I'm a one-person team, and it's hard. I also beta test on my own.

KurlyFries
August 8th, 2009, 08:57 PM
I used to aspire to be a lone hacker, but I lost my flash drive and had to begin on square one. So I just gave up because I had months of progress on my hack I would never be able to get back.
Teams can be successful, if there's one central "jack of all trades, master of none" compiling the components contributed (alliteration FTW) by the other team members into one beautiful ROM hack.

But the deal with late deadlines, etc. is a large drawback to team-created hacks.

Essentially, Loner hacking really just depends on the hacker's creative drive and willingess to learn it all.

Ninja Caterpie
August 9th, 2009, 12:48 AM
I used to aspire to be a lone hacker, but I lost my flash drive and had to begin on square one.

So did I, but I just started again.

pressedlee
August 10th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I work alone. The glories and hardships are each my own. If I succeed, then it is by my own doing. If I fail, then I can blame no one beside myself.

Sharing is meaningless in my eyes.

SiegHart
August 10th, 2009, 10:52 PM
hmm i work on my hack alone, the only real help ive gotten from someone would only be the rom bases...or some tutorials, otherwise all my problems ive had thusfar i have fixed on my own, although i do kinda suck at spriting but i have a friend from school that can do that for me if i really need it., but as for making the hack i do all of the mapping scripting and w.e else there is to put into it

mervyn797
August 11th, 2009, 03:22 AM
yeah i have been working alone. scripting, mapping, beta testing, spriting all alone..........

Lover's Kite
August 11th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I've tried hacking with a "team" and it just doesn't work at all for me. I'd rather just map, script, and edit graphics myself, it's less stressful in my view. Plus you don't have to really worry about sending patches back and forth, and not having someone hold you back due to the fact that they might not have finished their part. I like to have things my way. :3
Though I am considering helping a friend of mine on her hack.

hashtag
August 11th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Well, every side of hacking is two faced. It's good and bad in every aspect of hacking. Mapping, Scripting, Graphics whatever it is they all can be good or bad in teams or on your own, depending on your situation. Lone hacking, isn't easy for many ROM hackers. You need to be confident in pretty much every aspect of hacking, if you want to be successful that is. In teams, you don't need to be confident in every aspect. Because you have people helping you out etctera. But working like that is something difficult to do. Teams are tricky, I doubt there is a hacking team in the world that is perfect. To be perfect, you need to have everyone in the same timezone and seeing eye to eye. Communication has to be fantastic. But, if you are confident in everything, do it all yourself. It's much less of a hassle and is so very easier. I prefer to work on my own. But to get best results it does help to have a few friends backing you up if you need it ;).

SharpPoint
August 11th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Even though I am a part 3 teams, I don't really like the idea. I hate how many threads pop up these days claiming how 'We plan on creating great hacks that will start a new era of ROM hacking.'. Most of them fail/die out in a week. Not to mention how some teams recruit 2-3 people for EVERY job. How can you manage 3 mappers, 3 scripters, 2 spriters and 2 graphical editors in one team? Thats bound to fail.

Well, I prefer hacking alone. I learned a LOT from doing things myself. I even learned how to script. *hint* http://www.youtube.com/user/xSharpPointx *hint*

Banjora Marxvile
August 11th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Not to mention how some teams recruit 2-3 people for EVERY job. How can you manage 3 mappers, 3 scripters, 2 spriters and 2 graphical editors in one team? Thats bound to fail.

I know this isn't a debate, but this is down to opinions. More workers = more work done, if managed right. Not really bound to fail, if done right.

Anyway, I do honestly not like working in a team. Don't know why, I prefer being alone.

Zadow
August 12th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Hi all *waves* Yes, I've been working on my own hack by myself for a few weeks now. I must say I really enjoy learning it all by myself, I personally would hate to be in a team...mostly because of all the pressure. Also I prefer to work with my ideas, not other peoples'. Because when working in a team on a hack things can get hectic and turn out wrong, not the way you hoped it would. Then again the functionality of the team could vary with skills, dedication, and intelligence.

Sunnybeam
August 12th, 2009, 05:30 AM
I'm working solo on PS:TCR. It's my first hack, and practice for bigger projects I have planned, so I'm forcing myself to learn everything I need to make it. -laughs-

tkallab
August 13th, 2009, 05:16 AM
I'm a lone hacker, partly because I'm still testing where my limits are, partly because I'm very perfectionistic and sometimes don't understand others don't have to be, but mainly because I'm just a total noob.

Teh Blazer
August 17th, 2009, 07:59 AM
I'm currently hacking, but nobody wants to help me (just like you!) so I'm doing this alone. However, I do ask for a bit of this and that from people now and then. Am I still alone, even if nobody helps?

Q-Bone
August 17th, 2009, 08:09 AM
I'm a lone hacker. Partly because I always find that I never get anywhere when working with a team, and I feel like my ideas aren't being considered. When working on my own I don't mind receiving help, such as Scripting help for example, but I wouldn't really say the person who was helping me was a team to me.

bigfatgranny
September 4th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I did hacks by myself for a year. My mapping and spriting severely sucked however so i quit. Now im going to have a team help me with graphics and such as i have no skill with them.

NarutoActor
September 4th, 2009, 07:12 PM
well I used to be a lone hacker but then I started a team to see whats its like and I love it you get a mix of new ideas and wile one persone dose one thing I can do an other so the hack gose a lot faster if I was a lone

psychicboy
September 16th, 2009, 06:38 AM
As a beggining hacker, Im pretty much going to have to work on a hack by myself>.>

Neo-Wolf
October 15th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I was a lone hacker once but my Spriting skills... just sucked. :(

.Seth
October 15th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Personally, I prefer to work alone. I find that team threads (especially of the newer hackers) are very unorganized, cluttered, and overall just indirectly asking "hey can u halpz me wit mah hax???". I find that if I hack alone, I can really let my ideas flow to the rom, you know?

But, there are times when you just can't do something/can't figure out how to do something and need help/advice/information, which is fine, to a point. This is what really divides the n00bs from the pro's, in my opinion. n00bs, new hackers, and ignorant members think it'll be easy and everything will turn out right the first time, then when something doesn't, they ask for help. Even if someone helps them, they ask for more help until said n00b/new hacker/ignorant member isn't even hacking. Pro's/experienced hackers know when to ask for help, or at least try to figure out what's wrong on their own.

With that aside, teams ultimately fail unless everyone in said team knows what their doing (such as the Rom Revearz (however you spell it ><) Hacking Team). Everyone is as strong as the weakest link. Which is why if you have a n00b in said team, things fail.

I find that being a lone hacker and having a couple of experienced people helping when needed can be best.

Mew~
October 15th, 2009, 09:04 AM
I was just wondering.... whats the hell is the point of beta testers? I know they can look for glitches n' stuff, but do they realy do that? there just people who want to play the beta first XDXD And anyway you could do the testing yourself!

SharpPoint
October 15th, 2009, 12:51 PM
I was just wondering.... whats the hell is the point of beta testers? I know they can look for glitches n' stuff, but do they realy do that? there just people who want to play the beta first XDXD And anyway you could do the testing yourself!

That's not entirely true. If I get chosen as a Beta Tester, I will actually post screens with bugs in them.

TAKUORO
October 15th, 2009, 01:45 PM
well...I prefer to work alone, my first and my second hack Imaded alone and I think that is better to do the first hack alone, you will lear much more ;D

If you will do a hack in team, make sure you know them well, I think it's much better xD

Sorry my english :P

some people don't have time, but the beta testers are very important, if a hack has a wrong warp, you maybe could not finish the beta xD

Yoshinecra
November 11th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Im a noob at this stuff. hack teams might help, though.

Chevalier
November 11th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Well, as others have already mentioned, the hacks that are particularly successful tend to come from a single developer. Although I'd say Legend of Fenju is a great hack that came from a team. There are a few exceptions but the vast majority of the time, the more popular hacks (if that's what you're aiming for) are made by a single hacker. It just gives you so much more control over the hack and nothing gets lost in translation, so to speak. If somebody else has to do a job for you, then the result will never be what you wanted it to be, no matter how good they are or how detailed the instructions you give them are.
On top of that, you get a much greater sense of accomplishment when you can step back from your work and say "I made that" and have it be completely true.

Exactly!

Although having a hack team saves you time and offers a variety of different values to the game, there will always be an element missing in a team hacked game compared to a single player hacked game.

BlitŻ
November 11th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Personally, I prefer to work alone. I find that team threads (especially of the newer hackers) are very unorganized, cluttered, and overall just indirectly asking "hey can u halpz me wit mah hax???". I find that if I hack alone, I can really let my ideas flow to the rom, you know?

I find that being a lone hacker and having a couple of experienced people helping when needed can be best.

I find this true about myself too. Yes,organized teams are fun, but also resricting. Everything needs to be approved by one member.. or it's not really a team. I think nowadays the team threads are just a place for people to ask others to work for them, which is why i stopped going there xD. For a team to not be a hacking sweatshop everybody needs to have their input. Working alone lets your own ideas flow, but getting your hack to actually be fun to play while being the only one playing it requires massive amount of trial and error and experience, something that you cannot work by just doing one thing.

BrokenRoses
November 22nd, 2009, 08:58 PM
I have made 4 hacks by myself and it is no fun at all T_T
Constant hand pain and head achs drove me insane to stop lol
BUT... The postive this about hacking by myself is I know how to hack every part on a rom and now love helping those who cannot work by themselfs like I did... *waaaa* XD
But ANYONE who is serious about a hack and needs a master hacker to help them, send me a visitor message w/ detail and ur hack post and ill reply ASAP, Thank You :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Flash
December 12th, 2009, 02:09 PM
I don't know if I could team hack - most of mine come from strong storyline/gameplay ideas. I kind of want to follow them through, even if some of my skills in other areas slow me down.
But a team experience can be great for a newbie.

Chaos Dirge
December 15th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I''ve wanted to hack, though I'm not one yet. I'm a little scared to try to by myself. XD Mapping, Scripting, its all so complex to me, I'm sure its not once you learn about it.

However, People are meant to work in groups by nature, so I would assume that hacking should be the same way its a thing that should be done in teams If a person can do it alone more power to you. Biut it would go easier with a team.

rokrdude
December 18th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Although its always difficult to work alone especially for noobs but
I think the first hack people make is usually alone as they want to implement the things that they learnt via tutorials,asking others and find their strength and weakness

Atleast this is what I did :D

Jet Jathor
December 18th, 2009, 04:51 AM
As a beggining hacker, Im pretty much going to have to work on a hack by myself>.>

Hey, I'm in the same boat as you. I have gotten one message offering and requesting help, but that's as far as I've gotten.

Team Fail
December 23rd, 2009, 09:08 AM
I kinda like hacking by yourself. It gives you control over what content is included. And, if you have trouble, what I do is practice on a unedited version of thr rom I'm doing. That way, when I go and put it in my hack, I know what I'm doing. As well, you can set a pace for yourself. Example, for my hack, I'm doing mapping, than warps, than scripts, than trainers, than music comes last. I have it all organized in a fashion I can keep upat, and I can do it at my own pace.

RainDogg54
December 23rd, 2009, 01:46 PM
I'm a "lone hacker" I guess. I prefer to do things myself. I do get help from time to time with certain things regarding my hack but that's understandable (especially when you've only been hacking for a couple months:P). I find it kind of funny when people assemble a team of like 15 different people to do jobs that 2 or 3 experienced hackers can do.

sunrisesunday
December 26th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I'm working on a hack now, and I've done it all myself so far.
I might try and find some people to lend a quick hand here and there, but I wouldn't want to build a team. I want to work on my own schedual, and at my own pace.

BlazingShadow
December 27th, 2009, 02:48 AM
ZZzzz.... Im a lone hacker too.... I just started creating my own hack alone.
But maybe Ill need some help from others.... too.....
So by the way can someone help with my Title Screen In Ruby?

Harry Blue5
January 1st, 2010, 10:00 AM
I made a hack my myself. Unfortunately, if there is only one person working on it, it can't be bumped every day. I was making a hack called MissingGlitch, doubt any of you heard of it. I have started working on it again, but I'm not making another thread until I get very far in the development of it.

Lone hacking can be done, but it's a lot better if you have a team as, as well as the reason above, you can have people who are very good at certain things cover up your weaknesses, and can increase the speed of development, for obvious reasons.