• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Lone Hacker?

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2009
    In my opinion, in something as fragile as ROM, where a single mistake could cost you, it's sometimes better to work by oneself. By yourself, you can let your creativity go wild, without having to consult others on simple matters. Not to mention, working by yourself builds more skill in a wider range of areas, and can *gasp* even help you learn something, so as a beginner, it is more beneficial. If there's something you absolutely can't do by yourself, you just have to learn to work with your limitations, and build upon your strengths.

I'm not trying to say teams of hackers are bad, but simply saying being alone isn't necessarily a bad thing.

JBW

Years
  • I personally find it easier to work by myself as I don't have to make any promises about it. But since I can't script or make tiles at all I sometimes have to rely on the support of others.

monkeyman2092

Aipom Awesome!!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2009
    Since none of my topics were posted on finding teams and my recruitment search failed, I've simply been forced into the solo hacking. I can scrape up some things from other hacks and I promise to give credit to the person who really made it. It's sad, because I can only map and edit texts. I rock at map editing, it's so simple. Editing texts is okay... But, overworld spiriting, image editing, graphic editing, etc, I stink at. I'm a one-person team, and it's hard. I also beta test on my own.

KurlyFries

let's get this bread
    Years
  • I used to aspire to be a lone hacker, but I lost my flash drive and had to begin on square one. So I just gave up because I had months of progress on my hack I would never be able to get back.
    Teams can be successful, if there's one central "jack of all trades, master of none" compiling the components contributed (alliteration FTW) by the other team members into one beautiful ROM hack.

But the deal with late deadlines, etc. is a large drawback to team-created hacks.

Essentially, Loner hacking really just depends on the hacker's creative drive and willingess to learn it all.

pressedlee

Dark-Souled Hacker
    Years
  • I work alone. The glories and hardships are each my own. If I succeed, then it is by my own doing. If I fail, then I can blame no one beside myself.

Sharing is meaningless in my eyes.

SiegHart

Guardian of Time
    Years
  • hmm i work on my hack alone, the only real help ive gotten from someone would only be the rom bases...or some tutorials, otherwise all my problems ive had thusfar i have fixed on my own, although i do kinda suck at spriting but i have a friend from school that can do that for me if i really need it., but as for making the hack i do all of the mapping scripting and w.e else there is to put into it

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    yeah i have been working alone. scripting, mapping, beta testing, spriting all alone..........

Lover's Kite

[b]the age of empathy[/b]
    Years
  • I've tried hacking with a "team" and it just doesn't work at all for me. I'd rather just map, script, and edit graphics myself, it's less stressful in my view. Plus you don't have to really worry about sending patches back and forth, and not having someone hold you back due to the fact that they might not have finished their part. I like to have things my way. :3
    Though I am considering helping a friend of mine on her hack.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • Well, every side of hacking is two faced. It's good and bad in every aspect of hacking. Mapping, Scripting, Graphics whatever it is they all can be good or bad in teams or on your own, depending on your situation. Lone hacking, isn't easy for many ROM hackers. You need to be confident in pretty much every aspect of hacking, if you want to be successful that is. In teams, you don't need to be confident in every aspect. Because you have people helping you out etctera. But working like that is something difficult to do. Teams are tricky, I doubt there is a hacking team in the world that is perfect. To be perfect, you need to have everyone in the same timezone and seeing eye to eye. Communication has to be fantastic. But, if you are confident in everything, do it all yourself. It's much less of a hassle and is so very easier. I prefer to work on my own. But to get best results it does help to have a few friends backing you up if you need it ;).

SharpPoint

Suicune used Surf!
    Years
  • Even though I am a part 3 teams, I don't really like the idea. I hate how many threads pop up these days claiming how 'We plan on creating great hacks that will start a new era of ROM hacking.'. Most of them fail/die out in a week. Not to mention how some teams recruit 2-3 people for EVERY job. How can you manage 3 mappers, 3 scripters, 2 spriters and 2 graphical editors in one team? Thats bound to fail.

Well, I prefer hacking alone. I learned a LOT from doing things myself. I even learned how to script. *hint* https://www.youtube.com/user/xSharpPointx *hint*

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Not to mention how some teams recruit 2-3 people for EVERY job. How can you manage 3 mappers, 3 scripters, 2 spriters and 2 graphical editors in one team? Thats bound to fail.https://

I know this isn't a debate, but this is down to opinions. More workers = more work done, if managed right. Not really bound to fail, if done right.

Anyway, I do honestly not like working in a team. Don't know why, I prefer being alone.

Zadow

Pokemon Ebony Developer
    Years
  • Hi all *waves* Yes, I've been working on my own hack by myself for a few weeks now. I must say I really enjoy learning it all by myself, I personally would hate to be in a team...mostly because of all the pressure. Also I prefer to work with my ideas, not other peoples'. Because when working in a team on a hack things can get hectic and turn out wrong, not the way you hoped it would. Then again the functionality of the team could vary with skills, dedication, and intelligence.

Sunnybeam

when the sky is bright
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2011
    I'm working solo on PS:TCR. It's my first hack, and practice for bigger projects I have planned, so I'm forcing myself to learn everything I need to make it. -laughs-

tkallab

Should have been in Dissidia
    Years
  • I'm a lone hacker, partly because I'm still testing where my limits are, partly because I'm very perfectionistic and sometimes don't understand others don't have to be, but mainly because I'm just a total noob.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
    Years
  • I'm currently hacking, but nobody wants to help me (just like you!) so I'm doing this alone. However, I do ask for a bit of this and that from people now and then. Am I still alone, even if nobody helps?

Q-Bone

Musician and Pixel Artist
    Years
  • I'm a lone hacker. Partly because I always find that I never get anywhere when working with a team, and I feel like my ideas aren't being considered. When working on my own I don't mind receiving help, such as Scripting help for example, but I wouldn't really say the person who was helping me was a team to me.

bigfatgranny

Pokemon Shadow's Haze.
    Years
  • I did hacks by myself for a year. My mapping and spriting severely sucked however so i quit. Now im going to have a team help me with graphics and such as i have no skill with them.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • well I used to be a lone hacker but then I started a team to see whats its like and I love it you get a mix of new ideas and wile one persone dose one thing I can do an other so the hack gose a lot faster if I was a lone

Back