• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Well....this sucks.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
Years
  • Have you ever waited for a game for ages, then been severely disappointed when it came out? Maybe the 'revolutionary gameplay' meant one more type of enemy. The 'Next generation graphics' wouldn't have looked out of place in R/B/Y. And to top it off, the 'intense plot' has wilted after just five minutes.

Game reviewers often feel pressured to hype up things which maybe aren't that great and that can lead to some disappointed fans. Have you ever had this sort of thing happen to you?

I have, with Spore. Sure, it kinda did what it said on the tin...but it had been hyped up to be more than what it said on the tin. If that makes sense :P

Share your experiences here!

Years
  • Have you ever waited for a game for ages, then been severely disappointed when it came out? Maybe the 'revolutionary gameplay' meant one more type of enemy. The 'Next generation graphics' wouldn't have looked out of place in R/B/Y. And to top it off, the 'intense plot' has wilted after just five minutes.

inb4heartgoldsoulsilver

Red Steel was a fairly big disappointment to me. It was hyped as this sort of God-like game that made full use of the Wii's motion controls, but in reality it was pretty shoddy and the controls weren't all that great. Oh, and PBR left me with a bad taste in the mouth, but that wasn't exactly hyped. I just wish it had been a proper console RPG that Genius Sonority had released. >>

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Well, Super Smash Bros. Brawl pretty much lived up to its hype (I haven't played it yet :( [just a few more weeks! :)], but from what I've heard, the hype was well-deserved). The only complaint I have is with some of the characters. MegaMan was highly anticipated for the game, yet he never made the cut. :( The same situation with Ridley. (they still could've resized him!)
    Instead, we get crap characters like Toon Link and a un-revised Ganondorf, which was heavily criticized by many players. Plus, Fox, Falco, and Wolf all use THE SAME Final Smash! And the Landmaster contradicts Falco's preference for the sky, too. At least give him an Arwing Assault-like event as his Final Smash. And give Wolf something else...sheesh. Zelda/Sheik should've had different FSes as well, but I'll let that slide since they're basically the same character.

Toon Link annoys the heck out of me. If you've played one type of Link, you've played them all (except Fierce Deity Link :P). We do NOT need more SSB clones! Even Mario and Luigi were once clones, but now they're drastically different in terms of movesets. And now, Nintendo has no excuse for not improving Ganon's moveset. Toon Link could've been replaced with either Wolf Link+Midna or Deku, Goron, and Zoron-Link forms in a style similar to Pokemon Trainer (Red) and his Pokemon.

Jigglypuff, IMO, is utter rubbish. WHY did they take out Mewtwo and use Lucario as a replacement? They could've retooled Mewtwo (or change Lucario before game release). Mewtwo has done WAY more for the franchise, in games and the anime, than that jiggling puffball Pokemon ever did. The only reason Jigglypuff is even "notable" is because of anime appearances, which does not trump over the games. Nintendo should've kept Mewtwo (maybe retool him) and replaced Jigglypuff with the better Lucario. Pikachu and "Red" can stay, of course.

Though I slightly support Roy's removal to avoid clones, he should've been used as an Assist Trophy, since he played a crucial role in introducing Fire Emblem to the U.S. during SSB Melee's era. I felt Krystal and Tails could've been ATs as well (you cannot have Sonic without Tails! It's like Mario without Luigi or Ash without his Pikachu!)

Edit: Ness should NOT be replaced by Lucas; he is a SSB veteran! (IMO, Jigglypuff is not, btw) If Lucas has to make an appearance in future installments, he should either have a retooled moveset or be changed into an Assist Trophy. :pirate:

SSB Brawl could've been the game of the decade, but it slightly fell short of true greatness. :(
    But it still complements the SSB series excellently, my favorite series ever! :D

Last edited:

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    The Wii was the single biggest gaming disappointment in my life.
    I spent ages before it came out bigging it up to my friends, saying it'll smash the PS3 and 360, and I guess it did, for all the wrong reasons.

Years
  • *Puts flame shield up*

Super Smash Brothers Brawl. Quite possibly one the most hyped up over games if not the most hyped over game. I've played Super Smash Brothers for the Nintendo 64 and loved it. However, I don't have a Gamecube or any of its accessories, so I missed out on Melee. Sure, it was fun for the first few months, but after a while, I almost started to fall asleep while playing... in the middle of the day. From what I've seen with Melee, the fighting is much more slow and floaty than it was in melee. Also, the hitstun system was changed (or rather, taken away) so combos aren't really possible anymore. Jumps are so floaty, it makes you feel like an astronaut. Character balance is nearly non-existent leaving characters like Meta Knight, Snake, Dedede, and Falco to dominate the metagame; this really hurts you when you're a Jigglypuff main (lol, wtf's up with this rest?). Almost all the stages are out to get you in someway or another or just too favorable for a certain strategy (i.e. camping, spamming) leaving maybe 5 stages that are completely neutral to you. "Secret" advanced techniques were taken out such as Jump-dash grabbing, L-Canceling aerial attacks, efficient edge-hogging, and Wavedashing, and replaced with lol ones like Boost Smashing and Planking.

Going from gameplay aspects to the game itself, Brawl is very dry. In the original and Melee, the classic mode showed portraits of all the participants before a fight and those looked different from the official art. In Brawl, it's just simple copy/paste from the official artwork. Also, making it so that you could only reach Crazy hand if you played on Very Hard without continuing in 11 minutes is crazy, especially if you end up on New Pork City with 10 Nesses/Lucases (stage size; match lasts forever) or Giant Meta Knight (lol broken character). Also, why not put alloys on the penultimate stage? It's much better than 3 random characters. Also, what happened to the bonuses? They were so colorful and gave you a reason to finish the stage with an extra flair. Now, it's just "TIME" and "DAMAGE". All-star mode should've stayed nearly completely random. It would've been so much more exciting then. Subspace Emissary was a huge waste of 14 hours just to get the character I wanted. Break the Targets is quite possibly the worst. Instead of making individual stages that compliment each character's abilities, lets just have 5 stages in "increasing difficulty" and call it a day. Home Run Contest I have no complaints with. I ♥ Sin's HRC vids too much to hate it. Same deal with Coin Launcher; no complaints. Names should've had the ability to use international characters. There should've been an option to use the Japanese voices. Stage builder is very basic very little in customization. Trophies and stickers (though to a lesser extent) suffer from the same problem as the Classic participant screen. Also, it's nearly impossible to get them all. And, the wi-fi modes suck. Instead of letting you choose how many participants you want in a random battle, you always get stuck with 4 for the most part and all they do is taunt or choose Final Destination. Not to mention that the lag and taunting parties.

tl;dr: Is this even a Smash Bros. game? Not to this Smash Bros. fan.

@ fenyx4: Mango says hi. Also, Mewtwo is complete and utter rubbish according to the tier lists. Even so, I feel they should've still kept him in. Which brings my to another point: why take primary content out of a sequel? It just leaves many fans disappointed. Also, Jiggypuff isn't notable only in the Anime. It's had quite the role in the Pokemon Special/Adventures manga (which are just as awesome if not more than the games) as Blue/Green's first Pokemon. Not to mention that Clefairy wouldn't look quite as good fighting with the rest of them (Pokemon's original intended mascot). Sure, you could argue that Jigglypuff is complete and utter trash now and win, but you could do the same thing with Captain Falcon in this game. Captain Falcon: Demoted to absolute bottom tier. That is the abomination of Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

It's nice if you just play it as a party game with items on and not as a serious 1 v 1 fighter though.

.Fenris

Just a bystander, don't shoot!
    Years
  • Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere North American Release. MOST. EPIC. PHAIL. EVA.

No cutscenes (IE very little storyline), No ability to choose sides, and the extra disc along with the extra endings taken out.

Take a guess at which one won crappy game of the century from me...

sanny the hedgehog

Back by popular demand?
    Years
  • yes
    just recently actually
    its not a pokemon game though
    its actually the new loz game
    i am very disappointed in it
    i mean yeah new zelda game! woo-hoo and everything. but another ds game, i mean really when i saw the nintendo power saying 'legend of zelda: spirit tracks' i thought "HOLY CRAP DUDE! NEW LEGEND OF ZELDA GAME, OMFG!", but then when i open the article up i saw ds pictures. i felt let down for a minute. Thinking "why.....why nintendo, why do you keep doing this too me!" cause i didn't really care for phantom hourglass so i felt crushed when i saw spirit tracks being a ds game. i was expecting a freaking wii legend of zelda game and this is what i got. sure you can hate this post, you could like it and agree with me. so all im wondering is, DOES ANYONE ELES FEEL MY PAIN!!
    *sigh* this suck, and yes i have been let down

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Okami.

I didn't have a PS2. I had a GCN.

The game looked interesting and I heard good things and I wanted to play it. The impression I got from hearing about and reading about it was that it was an absolute must-play, incredible, worth-buying a PS2 for title. And then it was announced for the Wii.

And I bought it and played. It looked incredible. I loved the look and the colours. The characters were fun. The music worked well. The story was fine. But it had by far some of the most unimaginative, repetitive, and just plain boring gameplay I've ever played. I was so disappointed.

Second place disappointment for me would be The World Ends With You. I enjoyed this game a lot more than I did Okami. It was a lot more fun and the story was really interesting. Music bugged me a lot and I played it on mute. Game play was...okay. I dunno. Didn't fit the whole "best DS game ever OMG!" vibe people were giving on forums. I played Professor Layton at the same time and I enjoyed it 10 times more than TWEWY on every level.

Rosefrost

Alright, who put that there?!
    Years
  • My Sims, Ugh. I got the DS version. The words on the case promised you could "Rebuild a town, unlock fun locations, and add your personal touch." Sounds great, right? Wrong. You rebuild nothing. The locations you unlock can barely be classified as enjoyable, let alone 'fun'. and as for adding your personal touch, the most you can do is decide whether it will be a flower pot or a birdhouse goes on certain selected spots. Plus, they conveniantly leave out that you can only build furniture and houses on the Wii version, not on the DS.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • CoD5(PC) sucks somewhat. I thought it has a much greater graphics than 4, but it has the same. The only difference is that the gruesome corpse of a killer soldier. It's Multiplayer version, is somewhat the same too like the 4. Except for some new perks though.

Ŧøry vs. M£A†¥³

It's nice like Icicle Spears!
    Years
  • I will only say one game series for me to avoid flame wars. I loved the third generation of the Grand Theft Auto series. Grand Theft Auto III, Vice City and San Andres. I was waiting for Grand Theft Auto IV to be released. When I finally bought Grand Theft Auto IV, I was very disappointed. It it is one of the worst games I have ever played before. Both IGN & Game Informer gave this game a 10/10? After those reviews, I never trusted with their ratings ever again. This isn't the only reason, but I will only say one game to avoid flame wars.

(This is my opinion about Grand Theft Auto IV, I will say many negative speeches about it. If you love Grand Theft Auto IV, you may not want to read this).:
    Spoiler:

Immortal_one

Math is power.
    Years
  • Fable is notorious for doing just that
    I remember when a friend of mine got the original Fable and it's storyline ran dry after about 15 minutes into the main campaign. Fable 2 wasn't much better; if anything, it was worse. EVERYTHING about that game was hyped and promoted, but it just didn't deliver.

The thing is, if they wouldn't have hyped it up as much as they did, both the games would be alright. They just get my hopes up too much :(

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
  • Fallout 3.

My friends irl got me so hyped up about that game..
    When I got it, I discovered that it was a buggy game..
    Sure, It's great when it works..
    And it's got great gameplay, and I love it.
    But it's got too many bugs.
    [I.E. I can't actually play my game right now, because ALL of my saves are corrupted]

Years
  • Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts.

BEFORE :)
    Boggy.png

AFTER :(
    300px-BoggyBKNB.jpg

...Oh crap.

sanny the hedgehog

Back by popular demand?
    Years
  • CoD5(PC) sucks somewhat. I thought it has a much greater graphics than 4, but it has the same. The only difference is that the gruesome corpse of a killer soldier. It's Multiplayer version, is somewhat the same too like the 4. Except for some new perks though.

true that dude. true that

Britney's Circus

Livin' In Sin Is The New Thing
    Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2009
    LoZ: Phantom Hourglass, I read everybody saying how good it was and was a must have game so i bought it today and what do i find, I find a utter boring title and i love these types of games i was bored at the start got the sword and thought "Ta, thanks for the little tiny sword!" and i fighted to find some red monsters that was not scary and i found Linebreck (Whatever he's called) saved him and there that was it i got a key and i have no idea because i die and i just want to finish the game.

Brawl dissapointed be a wee bit but overall fun, now i just hope to get Super Mario Sunshine before Galaxy so i dont get sweeped away from the distant Nintendo memories.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Empire Total War
    Tl;dr version: decent game but annoying to install.

It's rather lols how much they have to pack the shots down compared to the five second gun reload of Medieval II Total War, which itself even is a far cry from the amazingly efficient Ashigaru Musketeer unit in Shogun Total War (2-dimensional people have their advantages).
    Anyway, melee combat is quite meh, nice animations but people slide around too much (xD) and don't do enough slashing and stabbing. Again M2TW was considerably more impressive.
    Now, the sound. I don't notice the music like I do playing previous Total War games. Cannons sound good but the muskets are like pop guns, again compared to epic gun sounds of M2TW it's a flop.
    Some of the gameplay changes are rather bothersome as well. Raidable trading routes are good; but research? Wtf, that's not how to play Total War. D:

Half of this stuff is nothing mods can't sort out, so it doesn't bother me, especially with how fun naval battles are (steamshipsomgwin). It's the DRM crap to get the game running in the first place that annoyes the crap out of... well everyone. As I recently said to my best friend, the likes of Call of Duty 4 are the last of the old breed of games, requiring nothing more than a CD-key.

Pikachu231

That Damn Pikachu
    Years
  • Guitar Hero : World Tour.

I had a PS2 at this time. I was so excited to at least play it on my PS2 with all the kick ass graphics I've seen. Then when I went to rent it, my fantasy was in shambles. PS2 graphics sucked balls, even more than in GH3 and GH: Aerosmith. Like there was no moving of the camera on gamplay, it'd stay in one spot then move to another instead of following the singer or something. Then the game for PS2 was automatically setted in WS format, which I had to configure my TV's options. GH: Metallica wasn't as bad as World Tour, had a little more spark and movement in the camera. So yeah, GH:WT for PS2 graphics sucked. I'm just getting the game with the entire kit just for the instraments for Metallica.

Back