• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Common Pokémon - Are they actually any good?

Snerd

Super Nerd
Years
    • UK
    • Seen Feb 14, 2011
    The Common Pokémon - are they actually any good? I'm talking about Pokémon like Bidoof, Zigzagoon, Ratata and Sentret - All those Pokémon that have generally low stats and are far too common. What do you think? Are they actually worthy of a place in your team?

I don't think they are. However they're useful for HMs. If I'm just roaming around I tend to have Bibarel in my team so my decent Pokémon can keep their good moves.

Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2010
    They make excellent HM slaves. But outside of that? No.
    The Flying-types are an improvement over the annoying regional Normal-type, but none of them are particularly astounding...except for maybe Staraptor if used correctly.

Lt_Nite

GnR for life!
    Years
  • Poochyena, Wurmple/Caterpie can actually be pretty useful when they evolve but as for the ones you mentioned no they aren't, as said only as HM slaves.

Years
  • I liked the Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot line. Other than that, I pretty much ignored them except to use Butterfree to beat Brock whenever I chose Charmander. Zigzagoon was useful for HMs and for Pickup.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    If you train your Pokémon correctly, they can be strong. I caught a Rattata in FireRed which grew to be a very powerful Raticate.

I say: Don't count a Pokémon out just because it's common.​

dc_united

Josh Wicks doesn't like you
    Years
  • Fearow, Pidgeot, Staraptor, and Swellow are pretty good. Raticate can be good, one of my friends shattered my perceptions about it with a raticate solo run. The only really bad ones are zigzagoon and bidoof

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • The only common Pokémon that's ever really made its way into my teams on a regular basis has been Spearow. And even then, it's mostly been included for Fly.

Tbh, I dislike the majority of the Pokémon you find around the early routes and tend to use battles against them to train up my starter/team.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
  • Fearow, Pidgeot, Staraptor, and Swellow are pretty good. Raticate can be good, one of my friends shattered my perceptions about it with a raticate solo run. The only really bad ones are zigzagoon and bidoof

Well, Lioone can be quite a beast, if played correctly...

Check this out:
    Lioone gets Gluttony, which makes it eat pinch berries at 50% or less.
    It also gets Belly Drum, which makes it get +6 Attack at the cost of 50% of its HP. (Coincidence, anyone?)
    It ALSO gets Extremespeed with STAB, which is the most powerful priority attack in the game.

How can you tell me that such a thing is bad? It's like a mini Arceus that is able to boost its attack sky-flipping-high in a single turn!

Bibarel is just charming when you don't look at his base stats, but apart from his great dual STABs, he has some of the best abilities in the game with Unaware and Simple. With these abilities, he can be either a wall of unexpected dimentions, a special attacker abusing Charge Beam, a Curser w/o the Speed drop, or just simply a status inflicter with Super Fang.. and probably more.

I'd prever Lioone and Bibarel over Pidgeot anytime.

Snerd

Super Nerd
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Feb 14, 2011
    I agree that the flying Pokémon can be strong, and very useful for getting around. Pidgeot and Staraptor have made it into my team a number of times however I never really liked Noctowl or Swellow. The fact that they only have two evolutions means that they're weaker than Staraptor and Pidgeot by default.

Lynnx

half listening.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2009
    I like the flying Pokemon, mainly Pidgeot and Staraptor, which always end up in my teams. Otherwise, they're nice for training, but I don't battle with them.

AuraAshley

Wê'll §†å¥ £ðrêvêr †hï§ wå¥
    Years
  • The Common Pokémon - are they actually any good? I'm talking about Pokémon like Bidoof, Zigzagoon, Ratata and Sentret - All those Pokémon that have generally low stats and are far too common. What do you think? Are they actually worthy of a place in your team?

I don't think they are. However they're useful for HMs. If I'm just roaming around I tend to have Bibarel in my team so my decent Pokémon can keep their good moves.

they can be if you give them the right moves and stat uppers

templekeeper

Remember: you're a member!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2010
    I've always dreamed of abusing Bibarel's ability with Charge Beam followed by Surf or something, but, alas, it never lasts long enough-

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Staraptor can be very powerfull i think it's attack can go pretty high if trained properly.But every pokemon has its uses you just have to find them out for yourself but Arceus v Bibarel? Well no matter what you do bibarel aint gonna be powerfull enough in reality xD

Heiheipig

- This is Madness? -
    Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2009
    Staraptor is actually pretty good in game, but basically all of the normal types aren't that great.

Back