• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Common Pokémon - Are they actually any good?

Ayselipera

Well their not the best, but I also don't think they
    are the worse. All their stat totals are in the 400s
    which isn't too bad, but not great either. Linoone's
    is the highest will 420 base stat total. I prefer Bibarel
    though. Even though it may be one of the most hideous
    pokemon its secondary type makes it stand out from
    the rest.

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
    Years
    Well, Lioone can be quite a beast, if played correctly...

Check this out:
    Lioone gets Gluttony, which makes it eat pinch berries at 50% or less.
    It also gets Belly Drum, which makes it get +6 Attack at the cost of 50% of its HP. (Coincidence, anyone?)
    It ALSO gets Extremespeed with STAB, which is the most powerful priority attack in the game.

How can you tell me that such a thing is bad? It's like a mini Arceus that is able to boost its attack sky-flipping-high in a single turn!

Bibarel is just charming when you don't look at his base stats, but apart from his great dual STABs, he has some of the best abilities in the game with Unaware and Simple. With these abilities, he can be either a wall of unexpected dimentions, a special attacker abusing Charge Beam, a Curser w/o the Speed drop, or just simply a status inflicter with Super Fang.. and probably more.

I'd prever Lioone and Bibarel over Pidgeot anytime.

Very good point which is why I like Linoon. As for the others...only Pidgeot.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    . . . I might be the only person who thinks of this, but I actually give the common ones a chance at times. Though it has been a while since I have. This may be because I don't at all compete with other trainers other than in-game, and in-game, pretty much any Pokemon, if used right, can be good. :3

I usually have Pidgeot on my team (unless it's Diamond/Pearl). And... I have to say that Raticate can pack a punch, which I have learned through the challenge I'm currently doing on my Fire Red.

Tsukiyo

Pokemon Origin Crisis Lead
    Years
    In...Yellow, I believe, Raticate was part of my main team.
    In one playthrough, at least.

I also trained a Bibarel for a while in Pearl. It can be decent, but...eh.

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    They could all be very useful if raises right, I have said this before in the HG/SS forum quite a few times as well. Caterpie can be very good if you keep it long enough for it to eventually to become a Butterfree. It can learn powerful physic and bug attacks. The physic moves combint with its powders sleeping/stun spore, poision power etc can be very useful. Ratata I never got into but if you evolve it into a Raticate it can do some pretty useful normal moves. Pidgey evolves eventually into one of the best bird pokemon in Pidgeot. Others can be transitioned into this as well

But Bidoff is just completley useless to me lol.

Gimmy

Rotommmmmmmmmmmmmmnomnom.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2009
    Fearow won me my Silver Factory thing, if I didn't have it, there was no way I would have won. I like to keep a Ratata as a HM slave though, its the cutest "common" type imo. C:

Snerd

Super Nerd
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Feb 14, 2011
    On my first Diamond playthrough, I had a team of Bibarel, Luxray, Staraptor, Floatzel, Infernape and Roserade. Bibarel was by far the worst in the team, and he was the highest level. But then again, that's just Bibarel.

I've tried with a Furret in my team and it was actually pretty decent. Linoone and Raticate however weren't. I've already talked about the flying types.

Years
    • US
    • Seen Nov 11, 2009
    I have a Linoone on my team on Sapphire and it's actually one of the best Pokemon I have at the moment. Plus, its pickup ability is just awesome. :)

Back