• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shinji (Paul)

Do you like Shinji (Paul)

• Yes

Votes: 24 64.9%
  • No

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Neutral

Votes: 7 18.9%

• Total voters

ShadowYashi

A secret makes a woman a woman
Years
  • If there is a similar thread like this one, than please remove it.

Okay, so I'd like to know, why do a certain number of people dislike Paul AKA Shinji of Pokemon. Would any of you be so kind as to explain it to me, because I like him and I don't get why alot of people seem to hate his guts. I don't want any half assed answer's either, like he's mean, or abusive, or cruel. I'd like someone to give me an answer as to why you dislike him, or his training methods.

Last edited:

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • I just think that they don't like his character. It's same the reason that there are people that don't like Satoshi or Hikari or Kasumi. They don't like a certain trait of the character and dislike the character because of that and there's nothing wrong with that. This certainly applies in this case since Shinji is the opposite of Satoshi and the writers want people to root for the good guys.

ShadowYashi

Years
  • Yeah, but that's what I don't get. Just because he's opposite of Ash, he's automatically considered evil? Because his views are different and his method's aren't the same.... I don't get it =/

The same with the Dawn and May haters that seem to love Misty. Why is she better than those two, their three different people and you've got those fans that get pissed cause their getting replaced... I don't understand it sometimes.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    I, personally, think Shinji is the greatest thing to happen to Pokémon. Other people, however, would most certainly disagree with me. For the same reasons I like him, most others hate him. I like him because he's different from the other characters. He's not a happy-go-lucky trainer. This is precisely why some people don't like him. People who watch Pokémon are used to seeing the trainers be happy and be nice to their Pokémon, but since Shinji isn't like that, they make him the bad guy (which is something I really don't believe).

don't want any half assed answer's either, like he's mean, or abusive, or cruel.
    Sorry, sweetie, but those are the answers you're going to receive. *will probably stalk this thread like the rabid fan I am*

EDIT:
    Yeah, but that's what I don't get. Just because he's opposite of Ash, he's automatically considered evil? Because his views are different and his method's aren't the same....
    That's pretty much it. People don't like change. It's unfortunate.

ShadowYashi

Years
  • Bahhh. After watching the show since it first came out, you get sick of the repeatative happy go lucky characters. I agree with you, Shinji is the best thing that's happened to the Anime. The only thing that would make me feel complete was if Meowth would beat the snot out of Pikachu... just once, and I'd be a happy girl. But it probably will never happen -.-

I hope they don't derail his character either. If Shinji winds up becoming another Ash... or does a heel face turn like Gary, I might cry.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    He'll probably be turned good or some bullcrap like that. >.> Knowing these damned predictable writers. I'll be so pissed.​

ShadowYashi

Years
  • I hope not.
    Paul's doesn't seem like the type....
    But then again, Gary didn't seem like the type either and look how he ended up ._.;;;

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    Well, there are key differences between Shinji and Shigeru. Shigeru was only pompous. He never seemed to treat his Pokémon nicely and not overwork them, whereas Shinji doesn't seem to have a huge ego.

But I agree, Shinji doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would change. Be we never know with the writers.​

ShadowYashi

Years
  • How True v.v
    I'm anxious for that two part episode with him and Ash to be done and over with.
    I hope Paul win's.... or something. Hmm maybe they'll get interrupted....

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
  • If I'm still my logical self, he's gonna win, of course. They're gonna do his big epic downfall in the Pokemon League.

I don't want any half assed answer's either, like he's mean, or abusive, or cruel.

That's the answer you'll get for now.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Yeah, but that's what I don't get. Just because he's opposite of Ash, he's automatically considered evil?
    Would you train your pets that harshly?

Because his views are different and his method's aren't the same.... I don't get it =/
    How don't you get it? He basically abuses his Pokémon to the point where he'll release them if they're weak.

The same with the Dawn and May haters that seem to love Misty. Why is she better than those two, their three different people and you've got those fans that get pissed cause their getting replaced... I don't understand it sometimes.
    Think of it like food. You have 3 different food choices: pizza, chicken soup, and fried chicken. If you were to choose what to eat, you would choose your favorite. The samething here. It's just that people prefer some over others.

ShadowYashi

Years
  • Would you train your pets that harshly?
    Well, no I wouldn't. But That doesn't necessarily make him evil, and Chimchar wasn't made for Paul anyway, their personalities clashed... like him and Ash, Chimchar was more suitable for Ash and his motely gang of morons anyway, we all knew it was gonna happen before it would even happen.

How don't you get it? He basically abuses his Pokémon to the point where he'll release them if they're weak.
    He doesn't abuse his Pokemon. Aside from Chimchar, who was not abused in any way physically, emotionally is a whole different story, and then released, because last time I checked Paul did not in any way, shape or form lay a finger on those Pokemon.

Think of it like food. You have 3 different food choices: pizza, chicken soup, and fried chicken. If you were to choose what to eat, you would choose your favorite. The samething here. It's just that people prefer some over others.
    I like all three and most likely would eat them all. So... because the 3 are different, you can't just like them equally and must have a favorite? Is that some unwritten rule I've seemed to have missed?

I never understood why fan's had to hate May and Dawn because they weren't like Misty, now I can see if they said, while May and Dawn aren't their favorites and prefer's Misty, then alright, that's sensible... but hating them!? That's just.... its ridiculous!

Like... even though I don't like Ash's Pikachu, he annoys me to the highest extent, I won't say I hate him.... well, now anyways, but when I was younger that's a different story. Now, I dislike Pikachu and to an extent Ash, depending on how they act half the time and I prefer Meowth and the TR Trio over him, but I'd never go so far as to say I hate him...

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Well, no I wouldn't. But That doesn't necessarily make him evil, and Chimchar wasn't made for Paul anyway, their personalities clashed... like him and Ash, Chimchar was more suitable for Ash and his motely gang of morons anyway, we all knew it was gonna happen before it would even happen.
    Mistreating a Pokémon, or another living creature I guess, isn't evil? Okay.

He doesn't abuse his Pokemon. Aside from Chimchar, who was not abused in any way physically, emotionally is a whole different story, and then released, because last time I checked Paul did not in any way, shape or form lay a finger on those Pokemon.
    Not physically? He was trying to force Chimchar to use Blaze which requires the Pokémon to be phyisically weak.

I like all three and most likely would eat them all. So... because the 3 are different, you can't just like them equally and must have a favorite? Is that some unwritten rule I've seemed to have missed?
    Yes. You missed the rule that most people have favorites and they will like somethings over others.

I never understood why fan's had to hate May and Dawn because they weren't like Misty, now I can see if they said, while May and Dawn aren't their favorites and prefer's Misty, then alright, that's sensible... but hating them!? That's just.... its ridiculous!
    They don't like them. Who cares? I hate Shinji but people shouldn't care.

Like... even though I don't like Ash's Pikachu, he annoys me to the highest extent, I won't say I hate him.... well, now anyways, but when I was younger that's a different story. Now, I dislike Pikachu and to an extent Ash, depending on how they act half the time and I prefer Meowth and the TR Trio over him, but I'd never go so far as to say I hate him...
    Well, we're not all like you now so you shouldn't expect people not to hate characters.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    Like I said before, at least he feeds Chimchar. (And none of that 'oh, he rushed him' bullcrap either. Not a convincing counter argument. .)​

Also, Shinji isn't evil. In no way would I consider him evil. The bad guys in this show usually steal, cheat, et cetera. Shinji doesn't. He's not evil, he's just a rival. I'm fairly certain if Satoshi was falling off a cliff and Shinji was the only one there to help him, Shinji would probably try to help him. >.>"

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Like I said before, at least he feeds Chimchar. (And none of that 'oh, he rushed him' bullcrap either. Not a convincing counter argument. .)​
    And "At least he feeds him," is any better? Forcing a living creature to do something it doesn't want is . . . ?

Also, Shinji isn't evil. In no way would I consider him evil. The bad guys in this show usually steal, cheat, et cetera. Shinji doesn't. He's not evil, he's just a rival. I'm fairly certain if Satoshi was falling off a cliff and Shinji was the only one there to help him, Shinji would probably try to help him. >.>"
    It depends on your definition of the word since everyone has a different view to what is evil.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    And "At least he feeds him," is any better? Forcing a living creature to do something it doesn't want is . . . ?

I think pretty much every creature in that anime is forced to battle. =/ Except maybe Satoshi's.

A definition of evil is what I just said: Someone who lies, cheats, steals, and intentionally tries to hurt (or, moreover, kill) others. Shinji's never done any of those things, especially not to other people. And, if you realized, Chimchar was the only one who had gotten that rough treatment. All of his others are generally kind-hearted and seem to enjoy being around Shinji. Every pretty much pawns Shinji as the bad guy because of Chimchar, but they never do his others into consideration.

Years
  • Hmmm Shinji...

His training style has no love and he's just crabby.
    So if I met Shinji we would not get along at all.

But he is a good character!
    :/ What's a story without a good antagonist? Not evil. He makes the stories interesting, and if you like Satoshi, it's making him stronger. He actually has to defend his goody-boy morals and PROVE that they will win in the end.

Last edited:

Autumnfox

Go with the wind~
    Years
  • Shinji. I'm kinda neutral to him.

I hate how the English dub made him; he sounds like an old man! :/ I also don't like his training techinque: raise, battle, discard if they suck ass.

I may start liking him if the writers choose to keep him the way he is now. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if he started a new evil organization in the future. A little more background about him would help as well.

©ereal Killer

Illusions or Real Illusions ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2011
    Shinji eh? Imma neutral...

He's okay, he reminds me of Silver though from the manga...

Back