• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shinji (Paul)

Do you like Shinji (Paul)

• Yes

Votes: 24 64.9%
  • No

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Neutral

Votes: 7 18.9%

• Total voters

Vernikova

Banned
Years
  • I think pretty much every creature in that anime is forced to battle. =/ Except maybe Satoshi's.
    It's already been shown that that is not the case.

A definition of evil is what I just said: Someone who lies, cheats, steals, and intentionally tries to hurt (or, moreover, kill) others. Shinji's never done any of those things, especially not to other people.
    As you said, a definition of evil. As I've said, everyone has a different view on this.

And, if you realized, Chimchar was the only one who had gotten that rough treatment. All of his others are generally kind-hearted and seem to enjoy being around Shinji. Every pretty much pawns Shinji as the bad guy because of Chimchar, but they never do his others into consideration.
    So mistreating one Pokémon is alright as long as the others aren't mistreated? That's what you basically just said.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    It's already been shown that that is not the case.

I'd love to know when instead of you just leaving it at that and acting like you're right.

As you said, a definition of evil. As I've said, everyone has a different view on this.
    And 'as I've said', the basic definition of evil in this show are what I've just told you.

So mistreating one Pokémon is alright as long as the others aren't mistreated? That's what you basically just said.
    How is that remotely what I said?

I usually say 'to each his own', but your views are just too corrupt for me to leave it at this.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • I'd love to know when instead of you just leaving it at that and acting like you're right.
    About every single episode where a Pokémon battle has taken place. You'll probably want me to be more specific though so I'll name a specific character and Pokémon. Haruka and Skitty. Watch any battle episode with them. Sho's Raichu in "Pika and Goliath" is a very specific example as well.

And 'as I've said', the basic definition of evil in this show are what I've just told you.
    I know what the definition of evil on the show is. Abusing a Pokémon is also considered evil on the show. How do we know Chimchar was being abused? Chimchar's actions around Shinji, Satoshi's reactions to Shinji's training of Chimchar.

How is that remotely what I said?
    You said that his training method was rough. Shinji was trying to get Chimchar's Blaze to be activated and to do this, the Pokémon must be physically weak. Your definition of evil includes intentionally harming something, which he tried to do with Chimchar to get Blaze activated. You are arguing that Shinji isn't evil and that contradicts what you said was evil on the show. You then follow up and say that Chimchar was the only Pokémon to be treated roughly and tried to put a positive spin on it by saying his other Pokémon weren't treated like that.

I usually say 'to each his own', but your views are just too corrupt for me to leave it at this.
    I see.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2009
    I happen to love Shinji (Paul). He's the opposite of Ash for that alone, I find him a worth while character. While I understand Pokemon is a kids show, a lot of animes I see I always wish they hard darker tones. Not that I'm a dark person by any means, but having any show of any type always be so damned bubbly is annoying puts a lot of people off.

Having Shinji on the show has made me watch it a bit more than I normally would, which isn't a lot to begin with. Personally his attitude and the approach he takes toward Pokemon is definitely the approach I'd take if you were actually able to do so in a game or if Pokemon were real.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
  • I'll admit it, when I first saw Paul I hated him. But then I realized he's exactly what this show needs to perk it back up. However, since I haven't seen that much of him recently, I'm kinda neutral on him now.

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
  • I like his character standalone, without thinking of how he is in the anime itself. He's the closest thing to adult Pokemon will probably ever have.

The thing is, he treats everyone and everything terribly, something that has been long since rumored to be a character trait "fixed" by the end of the series. (Since "Top-Down Training!", it's been thought that he'd change his ways...I personally see a bit of character development here and there.)

It also helps that virtually every Pokemon he's ever caught leaks BAMF appeal from its effing toes. I think the only thing I've ever been disappointed that he caught was Stantler, lmao.

Oh, having a Gliscor adds to my liking of him as well <3

Alec_

Years
  • I like Paul in appeals and his skills in battles. Because he usually beats a Gym Leader in a piece of cake. xD. But when it goes to his attitude. i don't like it. It's because as what Cynthia sees to him. He still needs improvements in his attitude. He still needs to cheer his pokemons in a great behavior through a good example.

~Fairytales.

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
  • Paul is actually one of my favorite characters for being a sharp contrast to a good chunk of the cast.

Personally, I also don't get why Paul is seen as evil. He has high expectations, and trains his pokemon intensely, but... that isn't necessarily evil. The only thing he's done that was evil is to force a power up on Chimchar. That's it. He hasn't abused his pokemon (except Chimchar) or they would have killed him long ago, unless they liked it, but I'm not going there.

That's all I have to say for now.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Paul, you know what this is one character in the anime that I have a love and hate relationship with. The basic reason why I dislike Paul is because of his neglect to his Pokémon when they just aren't good enough for him. This is the basic attitude that turns me not to enjoy a person, this and his negative attitude towards others. However, Paul is different, he is different in a way that the anime never brought up a character. His rough personality is what makes him stands out and personally gives him the shine as being one of the best rivals in the show for Ash.

I think that if this region didn't bring in Paul then it might not have been as great as it is now, but I do like Paul in the way that he is different from other characters brought into the show. So again, he has his bad ways that I dislike, but then there are the other features of him that I do happen to enjoy most.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Shinji is a great foil to Satoshi, as has been pointed out in the anime multiple times. Same goals, different methods.

However, Shinji is not evil. He might be cruel, but he isn't doing it for abusive reasons. The only difference between him and that Sandslash trainer in the early episodes was that that unofficial gym leader was shown to love his Pokemon, whereis Shinji doesn't.

Does that mean his method, for Chimchar, wasn't cruel, or bad, or immoral? No. But I also think it was very out of character for Shinji, and in that case, he was just used as a plot device so Chimchar would get to Satoshi's team.

*Charizard*

Velocity
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2012
    Shinji is the best thing to happen to Pokemon, especially in the Sinnoh series - even though he is the complete opposite to Ash, his training methods has shown that their is another way to train Pokemon without being a little pussy aka. Ash. Don't get me wrong I think Ash is a great trainer but Shinji methods and the approach he takes when raising his Pokemon show extraordinary talent when looking at the end result and mind you he beats the crap out of Ash.

Also in what way does Shinji ever mistreat his Pokemon since all I see when he trains he Pokemon is determination and that goal to become stronger and we see that with his Pokemon. And even though we can clearly see that with Ash he treats he Pokemon with love and respect, Shinji also shows it through hours of physically tough training and that's way I believe Chimchar means a lot to him because the only thing Shinji ever wanted to do was to make Chimchar stronger, even if it looks like he is somewhat abusing his Pokemon, which he is clearly not. It is just Shinji's personality thus is different to ash therefore we see him as being evil. (if that makes any sense lol)

With that said I cannot wait for the Sinnoh league where hopefully (most likely) both Ash and Paul will meet.

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    i like paul
    Shinji (Paul)

he reminds me of silve-/slapped

i like my rivals mean >:[

Years
  • I like Paul. He's so different than other trainers we've seen. He also releases weak Pokemon and keeps strong ones whereas Ash releases strong Pokemon and keeps weak Pokemon. Plus, he makes Ash look stupid. Sort of like Gary did. But then again, those days, I liked Ash when Gary was around. Now, I'm not too crazy about Ash. :/

Ricky429

Turtwig lovers unite!!!
    Years
  • I like paul. He shows people tht ash can lose and Im thinking tht his winning is going to build up to ash beating him in the league battles.

Back